Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 804532 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #2550 on: July 12, 2009, 04:06:17 pm »

I agree. Telekinesis is defined as being able to move things with your mind. Not instantly teleport them to your hand. If you want to keep that as magic for the wizard then change the name of his spell. There are a few ways this could be fixed but i find it rather pointless because as of now genetic telekinesis is harder to get then the magician's telekinesis while doing the same thing and everyone knows what they do. There are currently more important things to focus on in the code.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: July 12, 2009, 04:27:41 pm »

Micro, your improved writing style is noticed and respected!

Guys, I can see that some of you have a problem with that telekinesis thing, but seriously, if you have a problem, you can't just make up arbitrary rules about how to use it and then ban people who break them without knowing they exist.  A -huge- part of this game is "holy crap look at what I am getting away with".  Don't ruin it!

Besides, I'm sure you can ban someone with telekinesis for better things, like griefing and killing tons of people if they are not the traitor.  If they're not doing that, who cares?  And if they ARE the traitor, then jesus, good for them!  Let them be a total goddamn OP psycho, we know how underpowered the traitor is 90% of the time!  If they actually managed to give themself good powers, just say "that is freaking awesome, good job, nice win".  And then get really paranoid about genetics next game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: July 12, 2009, 05:01:44 pm »

Micro, your improved writing style is noticed and respected!

Guys, I can see that some of you have a problem with that telekinesis thing, but seriously, if you have a problem, you can't just make up arbitrary rules about how to use it and then ban people who break them without knowing they exist.  A -huge- part of this game is "holy crap look at what I am getting away with".  Don't ruin it!

Besides, I'm sure you can ban someone with telekinesis for better things, like griefing and killing tons of people if they are not the traitor.  If they're not doing that, who cares?  And if they ARE the traitor, then jesus, good for them!  Let them be a total goddamn OP psycho, we know how underpowered the traitor is 90% of the time!  If they actually managed to give themself good powers, just say "that is freaking awesome, good job, nice win".  And then get really paranoid about genetics next game.

So having a "You die now" gun which can be used through solid walls and you can use it while being behind several walls that make you completely undetectable, not to mention unhurtable while the victims can do NOTHING about it, whilist being able to teleport ANYTHING you can perceive to you, is not overpowered?

That's basically what telekinesis is. Imagine telekinesis with Thermals and hulk. Or if you're really lucky, Telekinesis with Xray and hulk. You basically kill people in a few hits.

Seriously man. Just because it's in the game doesn't mean it should be left alone. Telekinesis is extremely overpowered and should be nerfed. Not removed.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2553 on: July 12, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

If food/sleep goes in, simply cause telekenesis to rapidly drain them, at least doubling the loss.

Mainaining such powers should have consequences, don't nerf the pwers themselves(Mostly because from a code point of view, nerfing telekenesis is IMPOSSIBLE as it is used directly EVERYWHERE("If player is close OR has telekenesis" is used anywhere telekenesis is considered))
Eh?
Eh!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: July 12, 2009, 05:26:49 pm »

I think getting 3 of ANY super powers would make you pretty freaking powerful. But maybe telekinesis should have a set amount of power and not copy the strength of a person, as the hulk is suppose to be stupid so would fail in telekinesis.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: July 12, 2009, 06:01:04 pm »

Just had fun taking over a traitor round that had gone sour, admin PM'd four people that they had to prevent anyone from escaping (and keep people alive) before the Syndicate kidnap-and-interrogation squad docked with the station.  They won.  With high explosives, but they had permission, and it was short and exciting.  :D

Then I think the server went down.

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 12, 2009, 06:22:28 pm »

Basic law of telekinesis: Don't attack people at range with stuff you're holding. Punching them is fine and can be handwaved as you manipulating them.
Can't you handwave attacking them at range with stuff as a light saber throw? (Throw a toolbox, steer it to his head with your mind and draw it back into your hand.) You could even attack people in another room with objects that are in that other room to begin with. Having them in your hand between attacks is just easier to code.

I agree that it's overpowered and should forbidden by a house rule until it can be fixed, but house rules like this can't be enacted in the middle of a round. A little open discussion and an addition to the motd are the minimum. After that, we can thank the person who showed us the ability for helping us make the house rules better.

On related note, could you move the rules from the motd to the little help html file that always pops up? The motd in the chat box scrolls away very quickly when there's chatter and I doubt many people see it before being pointed to it.

As for superpowers, changing your geno- and fenotype instantly can't be good for you. (Look at what happened to the splicers in Bioshock.) There should be a good chance you'll die, get seriously hurt or pick up a genetic disease.

X-ray vision isn't going to help you if you're blind and clumsiness is going to make it difficult to get much use out of telekinesis. The hulk randomly turning into a human and back could be a good reason to finally use some N2O in the jailcells.
Benzene on steam.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2557 on: July 12, 2009, 06:54:32 pm »

Just had fun taking over a traitor round that had gone sour, admin PM'd four people that they had to prevent anyone from escaping (and keep people alive) before the Syndicate kidnap-and-interrogation squad docked with the station.  They won.  With high explosives, but they had permission, and it was short and exciting.  :D

Two of the things I have heard crash the server are monkey mode and overpowered bombs.
Could either have been the cause?
Eh?
Eh!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: July 12, 2009, 07:09:52 pm »

Hmmmm, to fix genetics i would say put in at least 1 random number needed to be figured out. That way even if someone knows the rest of the code, there is a 9 out of 10 chance that they will get it wrong and give the person a horrible disease or maybe nothing at all.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: July 12, 2009, 10:53:26 pm »

Two of the things I have heard crash the server are monkey mode and overpowered bombs.
Could either have been the cause?

Huh.  It happened right after the next game started and we were in the arrival shuttle I think.  So it could have been monkey mode if for some weird reason that was possible in secret, but no way it was a bomb.  I guessed that the host just took it down.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: July 13, 2009, 05:24:35 am »

Basic law of telekinesis: Don't attack people at range with stuff you're holding. Punching them is fine and can be handwaved as you manipulating them.
Can't you handwave attacking them at range with stuff as a light saber throw? (Throw a toolbox, steer it to his head with your mind and draw it back into your hand.) You could even attack people in another room with objects that are in that other room to begin with. Having them in your hand between attacks is just easier to code.

I agree that it's overpowered and should forbidden by a house rule until it can be fixed, but house rules like this can't be enacted in the middle of a round. A little open discussion and an addition to the motd are the minimum. After that, we can thank the person who showed us the ability for helping us make the house rules better.

On related note, could you move the rules from the motd to the little help html file that always pops up? The motd in the chat box scrolls away very quickly when there's chatter and I doubt many people see it before being pointed to it.

As for superpowers, changing your geno- and fenotype instantly can't be good for you. (Look at what happened to the splicers in Bioshock.) There should be a good chance you'll die, get seriously hurt or pick up a genetic disease.

X-ray vision isn't going to help you if you're blind and clumsiness is going to make it difficult to get much use out of telekinesis. The hulk randomly turning into a human and back could be a good reason to finally use some N2O in the jailcells.

Oh I'm fine with lightsaber throws and stuff. But considering you can do it THROUGH WALLS is what bugs me.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: July 13, 2009, 05:51:11 am »

Let's just say the telekinesis user opens a nano-second lived wormhole, teleports the object, hits people, and teleports it back, mmkay?  :P

Also, I'm nearly done with mapping (FINALLY, THIS THING TAKES HOURS), but not with the airlocks seeing as I was stupid enough to close my browser while my internet was gone for the night WITHOUT saving the code for the circuitry.  :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:52:52 am by Floirt »
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 13, 2009, 06:12:19 am »

Sure. Let's also say that my admin powers are actually manifestations of my character's psyonic abilities. Therefor, admin powers are valid weapons.

On the news of a new map, I plan to design a new map. Not actually map it, I don't know how to do that. Just design it. As in draw it. Logically place everything where it should be instead of the horrible Goonstation design. I mean really. Are those maintenance shafts NECESSARY?!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: July 13, 2009, 06:40:00 am »

well, pipes and filters run in them. they can be quite useful if you want to change atmhosphere in a room, but can't enter it, like with fire.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: July 13, 2009, 06:45:29 am »

Hmmmm, to fix genetics i would say put in at least 1 random number needed to be figured out. That way even if someone knows the rest of the code, there is a 9 out of 10 chance that they will get it wrong and give the person a horrible disease or maybe nothing at all.

seconded
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 950