Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808268 times)

Pick Yer Poison

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch yer back, soldier.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #13755 on: June 17, 2010, 11:32:46 am »

The current one does actually wrap around. The main corridor goes all the way around it.

Pick Yer Poison

GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Lend a hand to the Bay Station 12 Space Station 13 wiki!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: June 17, 2010, 11:35:17 am »

He means that if you walk off the end of a hallway going east, you come back on the west side of the map traveling east.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13757 on: June 17, 2010, 11:41:16 am »

It would be impressive to make it so that projectiles and flows can cross over this border, or even better, have the view stitch the sides together seemlessly.

That said, a simpler thing like a few special airlock squares that would transport you to the other side would be acceptable.

Interesting thing about centripetal gravity space stations is that if you step off the edge, you fall. More scientifically, you're flung on a tangent from the edge of the ring.

I suppose that careful maneuvering could allow you to hover next to the spinning ring.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: June 17, 2010, 12:06:21 pm »

I think that may be too confusing.

We could have maintance tunnels/engineerin/atmospheric control/robotics on a Z level below with trap door floor tiles (just to not have random ladders in middle of floor) that look like regular floor, but with a handle.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: June 17, 2010, 12:45:18 pm »

I think that may be too confusing.

We could have maintance tunnels/engineerin/atmospheric control/robotics on a Z level below with trap door floor tiles (just to not have random ladders in middle of floor) that look like regular floor, but with a handle.
This looks like the best solution.

Also, if you allow going over the edge it would add too much complexity. Why not to make it just a circle corridor? It would be fine to have those who wander off the map edge to be "lost in space".

For the station, lower z-level for maintance and upper z-level for command bridge sound reasonable. Also I'd vote for the space access avaliable only on the middle level. Because otherwise it would be too complex to allow it to change z-level once outside the station.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:10 pm »

Yes.  Most or all maintenance tunnels should be above or below the station, mirroring the hallways above.  Engineers need a good maze to be ambushed in during Nuke rounds, and a nice place to be paranoid freaks during every other type of round.

Aw yeah.
I really like this design, and nobody commented on it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:51:52 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: June 17, 2010, 12:51:18 pm »

Balls

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: June 17, 2010, 12:51:55 pm »

Yeah, we haven't fully addressed how to make people be able to move up and down in space.  I was thinking something along the lines of just having ladders, etc along the outside of the ship, and you use those.  If you're floating in space, then you're outta luck.

Also, potential ship design.  It's 5 stories tall not counting the engines.  Crew services are at the front in the two raised sections, the hangar and engineering are on the lowest level (hangar includes the supply warehouse), Security and the courtroom are on the first floor of the aft superstructure, and the bridge is on the top level.  Maintenance passages would be interwoven around the ship.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that apart from the engines I didn't bother to place anything other than basic shapes so the point would be brought across.  The small pink spheres are meant to represent escape pods, of which there are 16 total in this design.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: June 17, 2010, 12:53:09 pm »

I sort of don't really like escape pods, unless we use a multi tile, shuttle like design, like the one I designed.

I redesigned it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:06:40 pm by zchris13 »

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: June 17, 2010, 12:53:27 pm »

Hm, on the topic of maintenance following halls..  neat idea, but it seems a bit wasteful to me, unless you had other stuff on the maintenance level too.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: June 17, 2010, 12:54:03 pm »

I'm going to agree with zchris here.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: June 17, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »

I sort of don't really like escape pods, unless we use a multi tile, shuttle like design, like the one I designed.

The problem with the multi-tile ones is that they're somewhat harder to work with at the code level.  It wouldn't be impossible, though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: June 17, 2010, 12:58:53 pm »

The shuttle-like design needs a lot of work before it's worth commenting on. Where are the hallways? Are there only six rooms? Why do escape pods work here, but not elsewhere?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: June 17, 2010, 01:02:38 pm »

If you mean zchris's, I think that's meant to just be an escape/arrival/etc shuttle, not a whole map.  That would imply that the six "rooms" are actually just chairs.

Any thoughts/suggestions for the overall shape for the design I posted?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: June 17, 2010, 01:07:14 pm »

Aaah, that makes sense.

I think I would almost prefer if, instead of a shuttle, we had escape pods activated via timer which would shoot you to a safe location to end the game, instead of an entire shuttle which docks with your ship. The shuttle works for the station, but the ship is sort of weird.

At the same time, though, the victory conditions rely on people being on the escape shuttle. I would suggest a self destruct system linked to the escape pods, but that would make it too easy for the traitor.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 950