Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808211 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #13140 on: June 02, 2010, 05:27:54 pm »

I almost said that I thought they were all from the same person. Then I saw the last one was Cecil.

Also, we do need those meteors. That sounds flipping awesome.

EDIT: Hmm...3D sound might be interesting to implement. Imagine hearing the far away blasts of lasers, meteors crashing into the other end of the station, ect. BYOND has a really interesting sound system, doesn't seem like it'd be very difficult to implement. I might take a shot at it on my copy of BS12.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:03:10 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: June 02, 2010, 06:31:39 pm »

crrrasshhhh

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: June 02, 2010, 06:32:46 pm »

Shutdown.  Have to go for a bit, can't leave the server up like usual.  Will bring it up when I can.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

westsider_gw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13143 on: June 02, 2010, 07:10:21 pm »

Well, this started as hosting a local LAN game for my friends and I.. but I really decided I like SS13. The graphics are a but less-than-luster... but its darned cool.

Last night i was pouring plasma into a turbine thing and igniting an engine to create power by flipping valves. I like that.

I was just trying to put myself out there because I've got a good rack server I don't really use anymore, and I've got
a pretty-much steady 2Mb/s upload speed. (Used to be like 300Kb/s.. in the last year its gotten awesome hehe) that,
from what I've read, is more than able to host a strong server.

I'm not trying to steal anyone's code.. as I'm not a developer and dont plan on doing such.. nor do I really talk to people
anymore (live alone.. ), so it wouldn't hurt me to host for you guys.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13144 on: June 02, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »

Well, this started as hosting a local LAN game for my friends and I.. but I really decided I like SS13. The graphics are a but less-than-luster... but its darned cool.

Last night i was pouring plasma into a turbine thing and igniting an engine to create power by flipping valves. I like that.

I was just trying to put myself out there because I've got a good rack server I don't really use anymore, and I've got
a pretty-much steady 2Mb/s upload speed. (Used to be like 300Kb/s.. in the last year its gotten awesome hehe) that,
from what I've read, is more than able to host a strong server.

I'm not trying to steal anyone's code.. as I'm not a developer and dont plan on doing such.. nor do I really talk to people
anymore (live alone.. ), so it wouldn't hurt me to host for you guys.
I'm pretty sure we know that you mean well, but, for a wide range of good and stupid reasons, it's just not going to happen. There's just a sense of reluctance to give anyone the code on the part of the people who do have the code that's been around for as long as the code.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: June 02, 2010, 07:17:00 pm »

Then don't give him the code.
Give him the compiled binaries.

I see no reason not to turn down a host with a 24/7 server.
If you really wanted to, make a binary with host powers disabled.
Or an old binary.

But I don't really see why not. Looking for a BYOND decompiler seems difficult, and if we believe that he isn't a dev who wants to steal our code, then it shouldn't matter even if it was decompileable.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:27:19 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

westsider_gw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13146 on: June 02, 2010, 07:29:21 pm »

:\ asked this before on a Goon server and they didnt seem to think that was possible.
They kept saying that you couldnt have a game without having the source right beside it.

From what I can tell, you can compile standalone binaries in BYOND's dream thingy.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: June 02, 2010, 07:31:37 pm »

I know Data did for his ss13 crap
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: June 02, 2010, 08:12:52 pm »

We can do it, except at least one person thinks that doing so will open us to potential liscense issues.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13149 on: June 02, 2010, 08:14:49 pm »

why would you need the source to run a complied binary? it would just sit there unless.... No, I cant think of any reason unless for some inexplicable reason someone left a bunch of config settings inside the source and the complied program literally used the source as extra storage space.

Granted this is coming from one c++ class and some SQL, but that just seems insane.

We can do it, except at least one person thinks that doing so will open us to potential liscense issues.
I also aced legalese at Valley-Girl State. So where license, I will read it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:24:58 pm by thobal »
Signature goes here.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: June 02, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »

It's telling me I have a 10.2 MB/s upload speed...
I might be able to do a 24/7 host, if it doesn't take up too much of my bandwith.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:49 pm »

Sukasa hosts at 60kb/s
I don't think it would eat up much of your bandwith :-P

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:11 pm »

:\ asked this before on a Goon server and they didnt seem to think that was possible.
They kept saying that you couldnt have a game without having the source right beside it.

From what I can tell, you can compile standalone binaries in BYOND's dream thingy.

They are liars. Proof: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3N374GRJ
(No. This isn't the BS12 source. It's the OpenSS13.)

And yes, one person here apparently thinks we are based off of the Open-source, and I have no clue if this is true or not (but it probably is.)

But even so, the goons are the same, since ours is based off of a really old goon station.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: June 02, 2010, 08:40:11 pm »

Try and get me some source files if you can, and tell me how to host on BYOND. Not asking for the full up-to-date source files, but hey, I'm willing to host.

westsider_gw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: June 02, 2010, 09:02:27 pm »

10Mb/s.. thats unusually high. You have a T3 or something?!
My father has one in his business and he gets near that speed all the time (upload).

Also, By asking for the source, I can suffice with the simple Binaries instead.. I just need the ability to host a viable server.
I did a test run of a public server earlier and I got everything setup. I had 5 people successfully join my server (albeit using really old goon stuff) and there were no latency issues.
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 950