Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 809294 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #12510 on: May 17, 2010, 02:22:31 pm »

Hay is there a game up I need to get back on this game.
Yeah yeah yeah!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12511 on: May 17, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »

Currently, there are 2 goon servers, a byond server, and an old goon server or something.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12512 on: May 17, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »

clearly isn't a cylinder,

How would it being a cylinder help? An object would have to be attached to be affected by centrapedal force, and if it is attached, why need centrapedal force?

I always assumed gravity was because we were orbiting a large body of plasma or something.

It wouldn't need to be attached. And the force that would give the object its gravity, would be centrifugal, if I remember my physics correctly, centripetal is what makes them go in a circle instead of a straight line. Now, the earth is a nice example of this. People on the equator are going 40000/24 kmph, and don't notice it, and don't need to be attached. The same would be true with a constantly turning, cylindrical space station.

Lets consider the following scenario: There is a huge spinning tube in space, if you fly down the hole, but don't touch the sides, you are not affected by the centrifugal force, it is only once you are touching, or attached, to the tube that you feel the effects. If you were to lift yourself off the ground, ie run/jump, and cancel the directional velocity, ie run/jump in opposite direction of rotation, then you would become wieghtless again.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12513 on: May 17, 2010, 04:21:33 pm »

The tube would have to rotate at a very high velocity to create a force of 1 g. It is correct that you are not affected if you don't touch the tube, if you are in a vacuum, that is. If you are in air, the air will act like an extremeyl strong wind (only you won't notice it, because you go just as fast) and keep you moving togeteher with the tube. Now if you were to jump, at a very high speed, in the opposite direction of the tube, and in vacuum, you would just make a very long jump - which is exactly what will happen when you do the same on earth. A bit of an explanation:

>
/''''''''''\
\_☻_/   
   <

This is you, with tube. If you jump in the opposite direction very fast, you would simply touch down on another point of the tube - and be carried with it again, probably with a lot of burns and bruises. The same applies to earth: jump very fast and far and you will make a hard and fast landing. A spinning tube is in fact a very accurate replacement for gravity, because no matter where you jump, you always land on it again. It would probably be odd at first, not in the least before you can literally see others walking on vertical walls which are horizontal to them. But there is a reason a lot of science fiction makes use of it.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12514 on: May 17, 2010, 04:39:47 pm »

Well yeah, if you assume air then you would be pushed down. There is also the problem of the middle moving slower.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

NEOPhyte

• Bay Watcher
  • Fisto: For all your punching needs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12515 on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:23 pm »

Well yeah, if you assume air then you would be pushed down. There is also the problem of the middle moving slower.
Which is why you put the docking bays in the middle, so incoming shuttles don't have to dick around with hitting a moving target, just a spinning one.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12516 on: May 17, 2010, 05:35:32 pm »

w/o a gravity generator, floors would behave like space and you'd need to push off walls, etc.

Air would react the same though, since that's a function of ambient pressure, not whether it's pressed against the floor or not.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Lugnut1206

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12517 on: May 17, 2010, 06:18:10 pm »

Does anyone here know where I can download Android Datas version of this?
And could you tell it to me please?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12518 on: May 17, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »

First off I think Data's looooong gone. I know that Googel has access to the server but I'm not sure if he'll be willing to share.

Lugnut1206

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12519 on: May 17, 2010, 06:23:10 pm »

First off I think Data's looooong gone. Yes I know that Googel has access to the server but I'm not sure if he'll be willing to share. Damn
There was a download on a blog a while back... Lyndons blog or soemthing.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12520 on: May 17, 2010, 06:23:25 pm »

I believe Data released a type of editor for SS13DL, or maybe it was just hosting files.

Either way, you don't want it, it has him hardcoded as an admin I don't know how many bloody times, took me half an hour to remove it all, and a server kill word, too.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12521 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:36 pm »

*cough cough* Control freak. *cough cough*

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12522 on: May 17, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »

I'm glad I missed all the drama surrounding him.

A kill word? Seriously?

*cough cough* Control freak. *cough cough*

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12523 on: May 17, 2010, 06:26:56 pm »

Yeah, fun times.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12524 on: May 17, 2010, 06:27:04 pm »

This is really making my slightly unhappy.
You are lucky I looked at a finely crafted door lately because I host a server and get maybe 2 people on for 5 minutes then it's empty again.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 950