Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 807998 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #11580 on: April 29, 2010, 07:35:18 pm »

They appear to be broken.

EDIT: They're fixed now
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:42:04 pm by OzyTheSage »

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: April 29, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »

Well, if for some reason you really want people there, why not have a teleportation chamber on the prison station?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: April 29, 2010, 07:41:51 pm »

Ok, so, I haven't played this game yet, haven't had the time this week, but I have to ask, why can't you just keep the prison on board?? Or maybe have it attached to said mining station, can anyone say slave labour?

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:49 pm »

I don't know why people want them off station, but I do love the sound of slave labour. They can do all the dangerous stuff.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: April 29, 2010, 07:57:37 pm »

Good idea with the lunchbox. You'd think a box in your backpack might be useful for putting tools inside, if you wanted to carry a bunch of other things in the backpack, but you have to drop the box every time you want to use a tool. Trying to actually open it while it's inside a backpack just doesn't work, so personally, I just toss the box at the beginning of each round and carry whatever I can fit in my backpack, pockets, and belt.

(I was hoping someone might get interested in doing asteroid mining, but wondering how we would get from asteroid to asteroid without actual moving ships with actual engines, unless you intend to use pods)

By the by, I think it might be interesting to consider the possibility of having someone actually at CentCom. Yes, it might get boring, but what if we...

1. Have new arrivals arrive at CentCom, where a CentCom official equips and assigns them jobs, and then puts them on a shuttle to SS13 where they arrive at the normal entry point.
2. The CentCom official could be the traitor, secretly working for the syndicate, and might be arming new arrivals and telling them that centcom needs the captain taken out because he has rebelled against centcom, or whatever his task is. Or issuing orders to the network tech, HoP, captain, or AI.
3. The CentCom official could send written messages to SS13 and they to him/her, via terminals in the captain's room, the network tech room, and the HoP's office, and directly communicate with the AI. It would require logging in of course and would identify the sender. To send requires the sending comdish to be aligned, but receiving does not so that the CentCom official does not get most annoyed.
4. CentCom could have its own AI upload terminal and so forth.
5. CentCom could have a version of the prototype engine, fully hooked up and powered, with fuel canisters, etc, to power it. Just break seals, connect CO2, and power it up, and it should start powering CentCom.
6. Some other toys for the official so he/she doesn't get too bored, like, say, a fully-functional genetics lab with monkeys and a cryo.
7. Perhaps to alleviate boredom and grant some measure of freedom, a special centcom network-plug-in jack which effectively turns the official into a temporary AI without laws, giving him the ability to see anything on ss13 and screw with shit there. He could leave and return to normal at any time. (This would probably be quite tricky to do)

Problems:
1. There isn't really a way that I see to discourage the official from just schlepping over to SS13, though. Giving him/her no SS13 privileges wouldn't work, since they have ID assignment abilities. Saying "YOU'LL BE ARRESTED FOR ABANDONING YOUR POST" thing might do it, but not necessarily, since he/she probably outranks the captain.
2. The HoP won't have as much to do if the official is assigning jobs, unless the official is making comically bad decisions, which may be likely given that he'll only be getting information via space telegram (and talking to the AI). Or, the HoP could be replaced entirely by this position, but that may be bad if there's no centcom official. It would probably be necessary to send the new arrivals directly to SS13 as it is now if there is no centcom official.
3. He'll probably just get bored from being away from the RP, and when everyone is chasing the traitor he'll be sitting in CentCom having his telegrams ignored, unless the network-plug-in thing is implemented.

Of course someone would have to want to implement this, and that would probably require me to volunteer, join the coding team, and people to like the idea enough to want to see it tried, and me to work less on what I'm working on right now to find time for doing this (which currently consists of adjusting parameters to make a simplistic stellar fusion simulation result in neither a star exploding nor a star failing to ignite sufficient fusion to stop gravitational collapse. So far it has been quite insistent on doing one or the other no matter what.).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: April 29, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »

Seeing as how Cent. Com is run by loonies, Im wondering why there is a Captain, and not a Cent. Com Representative instead.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: April 29, 2010, 08:02:28 pm »

If you have a hand free, you can use a box to good effect.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: April 29, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »

Going back to prison, why not just make the prison shuttle "kill" the prisoner, essentially, he has a chance to escape or be freed or whatever, untill he's shipped off to a long term sentance. It's a better RP way to get rid of a prisoner, and if you make it "kill" him, or terminate his character, he can still god mode and watch what's going on. on that note, I'm not sure how the game programming and such works, but how hard would it be just to create a new shuttle?

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:23 pm »

Well, Ryu made the supply one, it never *worked* properly, but he made the base of what Qwerty turned into awesome, And Ryu wasn't exactly the most talented coder ever, I would imagine it would be easy.

Either way, I know if I was arrested, and I was shipped to the prison shuttle, I would just kill my character, being stuck in there, alone, or even WITH other people would suck, there are no places for the prisoners to gather in, or whatever, they stay locked in their cells, forever, alone, and bored.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: April 29, 2010, 08:27:57 pm »

Well see, that's why insta-killing would work! Would it be possible to disconnect the player from the body? So they stay in the prison cell, but the player doesn't have to sit there and stare at them untill the game ends?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:31 pm »

Why do you think I just throw people out the airlock?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: April 29, 2010, 10:17:15 pm »

I don't think either of the braindead suggestions would be too hard. I'll see what I can do.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: April 29, 2010, 10:31:29 pm »

I do so love the crazyness that the braindead spout at the moment.

That reminds me of a bug. The voice-changer shows your true name in radio broadcasts, rather than the name on your ID.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tark

• Bay Watcher
  • on what even did not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: April 29, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »

I've always thought the glass sprites currently on the server were a bit rough on the eyes, so I sprited new ones. It's mostly a recolor, but some changes were made, especially to the glass doors. Now both the unsecure and the secure glass doors have handles, its just that the secure one has a larger handle and a notch thing were you could swipe a card or something. Shards are included.

Another thing is that the door animation is a weak spot as of right now. I'm thinking the doors could just magically sweep to the side, as if moving back into a wall or something, like the current ones. But it might look weird.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:41:15 pm by Tark »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: April 29, 2010, 10:43:51 pm »

Ok, I think I'm gonna do it, I think I'm gonna take the plunge tonight!
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 950