Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 807701 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #11475 on: April 28, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »

IT was never intended to be votable, either, at least until it had been tested and improved.

Hint: The intentional misplacement in misnaming of the source and icon files, the fact that it claims to be a regular round of traitor, and that the only way to start it was an admin-only verb that only worked in the pre-game setup and had "set hidden = 1", and that it re-used another var in a somewhat inconspicious way rather than add a new and obvious var to /mob...

Agh, I forgot to post this and got sidetracked in the code.

Also, a small addition I made or tried to make long ago seems absent or removed. What it did, was define a global proc intended to be used to get the Z-level to move something to. The main reason was that space covers multiple levels that vary between maps, so why not both abstract the number of z-levels and their actual numeric values? While doing that, other levels would also be useful.

That way, you would use something like getZ(Z_SPACE) rather than hard-coding the levels.

I am adding that proc, to make it easier to refactor /turf/space/Entered. It uses prob(50) and picks between z-3 and z-4 one on each branch of the prob. The code on either branch is otherwise identical. I already moved the meteor check to before the prob(), but by using an external proc to decide where space is, I can eliminate the prob() entirely.
Eh?
Eh!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: April 28, 2010, 07:30:37 pm »

The new space-Z-drift code:

if (A.x <= 2 || A.x >= (world.maxx - 1) || A.y <= 2 || A.y >= (world.maxy - 1))
      if(istype(A, /obj/meteor))
         del(A)
         return

if (A.x <= 2)
         A.x = world.maxx - 2
      else if (A.x >= (world.maxx - 1))
         A.x = 3

if (A.y <= 2)
         A.y = world.maxy - 2
      else if (A.y >= (world.maxy - 1))
         A.y = 3

A.z = getZlevel(Z_SPACE)
      spawn (0)
         if ((A && A.loc))
            A.loc.Entered(A)

The old:
Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

If you have any complaints about the changes, just look at the old version for a minute. Afterwards, once you have decided exactly how much more flexible and editable the new version is, reconsider your complaints.

(Quotes used rather than code tags to preserve tab alignment)
Eh?
Eh!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: April 28, 2010, 07:32:06 pm »

I hate monkeys.

Fucking useless. and they are a waste of codeing time.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: April 28, 2010, 07:43:14 pm »

They are a good way for an inexperienced player to test out Genetics and they make RP sense when it comes to practicing Genetics on someone. Not everyone is willing to be a guineapig.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: April 28, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »

They are a good way for an inexperienced player to test out Genetics and they make RP sense when it comes to practicing Genetics on someone. Not everyone is willing to be a guineapig.

Yes. i just hate how people are screaming for jumpsuits and shit for monkeys.

This is not Monkey Station 13
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56:14 pm »

Yes. i just hate how people are screaming for jumpsuits and shit for monkeys.

This is not Monkey Station 13

"I want to make leashes and collars and put them on monkeys and dress them up and train them to make me sandwiches and get me beer and how to start the engine and how to input the nuclear activation code using a training nuke and a nuclear di- NOT THAT! THAT ISN'T A TRAINING NU- *explosion*" Yeah. A little to crazy giving monkeys suits and stuff.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:18 pm »

Generalizing the /mob code is *good*. Editing monkies to add features is not.

Example: Creating a new concept of clothing styles, and limiting what mob types can wear each style is a good thing, and can easily adjusted to allow monkey clothes and disallow AI clothes, in turn allowing the clothing system itself to be removed from /mob/human and put into /mob. Then, at a later date, if we add a specific race of dwarves, it would take very little to add dwarf-sized clothing. Bonus: Have overlap between dwarf-clothing and monkey-clothing, but only sometimes.

A further use would be robots that can have clothing-based armour and platings with different stats, where most of the work is already finished by the hypothetical generalized clothing system.

Now, coding monkey clothing and code for monkeys to wear clothing? That *is* a waste of time.

Similarily, a more general body part system would eliminate huge nested if blocks if there was an easy way to iterate over body parts, improving code overall, and with a generalized system, it would be easy to add a monkey's tail as a unique non-grasp, non-support limb. Once again, for a robot, you could use it as well, counting each tread/track as a limb, the base as one, and each major component, all without having to recode everything or copy most of the code.

Further possibilities: Store critical /var/ in a /obj/ including health and such, so that changing /mob/ type will not affect those vars, and they can be transfered in one line.

Later, defining new types of that object becomes a possibility, and that object can control things like AI(not *the* AI, but real artificial player code) to make things easier for later changes.
Eh?
Eh!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »

Yeah, that is excessive. Monkeys are fine as they are now.

Perhaps a place less prone to air loss? That's about all they really need. Also, a bigger pen because I know from experience you can get trapped in there thanks to those goddamn monkeys.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: April 28, 2010, 08:15:08 pm »

Maybe add a cloning tube, monkey-sized. Once activated, it starts, and 5 minutes later creates a new monkey.

Can accept raw DMA and make something of it, but rejects those that, after two minutes, reveal to be too large to clone(non-monkey).
Eh?
Eh!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: April 28, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »

Maybe add a cloning tube, monkey-sized. Once activated, it starts, and 5 minutes later creates a new monkey.

Can accept raw DMA and make something of it, but rejects those that, after two minutes, reveal to be too large to clone(non-monkey).

Monkey Factory. Awesome.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »

I love it.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: April 28, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »

Only thing that needs to be improved with monkeys imo is the horrible broken interface when playing as one. You can't stop pulling due to lack of interface for it, you can't grab, you can't wear gloves (I'm sure a sentient monkey can find a way, despite the somewhat different hands), and worst of all, you can't even throw.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: April 28, 2010, 10:36:47 pm »

This, but also have the option to but a chip in them that can "gib" them, when every one realises how anoying it is when theres a few to many monkeys.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #11488 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:23 pm »

This, but also have the option to but a chip in them that can "gib" them, when every one realises how anoying it is when theres a few to many monkeys.

Except for the fact we don't actually have gibs.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: April 28, 2010, 10:51:06 pm »

As in kill them, I just used gib as artistic license realy, hence the quote marks =P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:53:45 pm by nuker w »
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 950