Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808433 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #11145 on: April 24, 2010, 06:24:28 pm »

Well, the thing is-I don't want to cower before the goons. I don't want to bash them either, but it's B12's server.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: April 24, 2010, 06:24:32 pm »

Binaries are good. Theres no BYOND decompiler right?
Actually, there is, there were some precendes, but, alas, nobody managed to confirm that.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: April 24, 2010, 06:29:51 pm »

Well, the thing is-I don't want to cower before the goons. I don't want to bash them either, but it's B12's server.

So? They're not going to jump into our server, hack into our code, steal all our stuff, jump back and detonate a high yield dirty bomb inside our internet. Are you a bad enough dude to stop them getting off track here a little bit.

Basically, if they see an idea we've had that's cool and they replicate it, I don't see the problem.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: April 24, 2010, 06:33:42 pm »

Mmmk, added disclaimer.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: April 24, 2010, 07:05:48 pm »

at what temperature does the engine start to affect the station adversely (Such as exploding)?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: April 24, 2010, 07:08:14 pm »

I dont like the idea of giving out the code or compiled versions.
One of the reasons is that by giving out compiled versions PUBLICLY we get risk of random or banned people hosting our version and calling it Offical bay 12 games server like in the past.
I dont even want to start with why I dislike giving out our code. *cough* networking *cough* new atmos system

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: April 24, 2010, 07:30:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure Goons stole their code from Data.

Haha, no. Their version originally was forked from one of my versions before I merged my stuff into openss13's svn.

A snippet from IRC from 2008, when I was discussing the possibility of potentially merging the goon codebase at the time with openss13 with Kurper:
Jun 15 23:45:28 <Kurper>   Trafalgar: i feel like at this point the codebases are so far apart that merging them would be an enormous bitch
Jun 15 23:45:38 <Kurper>   especially since we branched from a version of yours that wasn't in version control
[a few minutes later]
Jun 15 23:52:56 <Trafalgar>   I merged my version into openss13 after I was accepted into the devteam
Jun 15 23:53:06 <Trafalgar>   but it helped that I had kept it fairly up-to-date whenever things changed
Jun 15 23:53:11 <Trafalgar>   including the code reorganizations
Jun 15 23:54:51 <Kurper>   at any rate the proper solution is clearly for the three (?) good openss13 devs to come over to the goons and say "fuck ss13.net"

(He was right, anyways, it would have been too much trouble to merge them)

At the time they had a system set up where anyone developing their version had to write a patch and then submit it, and then wait a few weeks for Rick to add it and put it up on his server. I'm assuming they have a much better system now. :P

In the end (before the end of June or so) both stephen001 and I ended up leaving openss13 and ss13 entirely (the ss13 forum community had a way of sucking the fun out of the game and your desire to work on the game right out of you. I only lasted a month or so once I joined the openss13 devteam. I'm amazed that stephen001 lasted as long as he did there.). I don't know what happened with anyone else after that.

Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:34:02 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: April 24, 2010, 07:46:23 pm »

I am completely ignoring everything but this.

Reaper, I like those sprites.
Yes I do.

AND IT SHALL QUELL MY ETERNAL THIRSST.
Yes.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: April 24, 2010, 08:16:54 pm »

I honestly don't know how the community ever degraded to that point.
Probebly the fact that griefing is easy and fun. Everyones done it atleast once.
Sad thing really.

Anyway, I'd actaully support going open-source if other people wanted, or atleast releasing some bineries.
We and goons are the only branches still under regular development, and as much as I wouldn't want knock-off servers, I don' like the idea that we are the only people with access to code that is (by modern ss13 standards) playable.

Older branches all have atmos lag or other stuff.

Maybe we should just release one of our really old versions, one before the lighting system, just so that people still have something playable

Also, we are always looking for good developers, I would say that the SS13 community has calmed down dramatically since 08. Developing for the community is actually fun now

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: April 24, 2010, 08:23:16 pm »

Last round I woke up without anything, so I wandered the station. I forget what happened after that, but I was revived as somone else and on the run. Then I found somone logged-out and stole his identity. I put him in a closet in Maintnence. I made a proximity firebomb in Tool Storage to gaurd him from people opening lockers and the AI caught me. I activated the bomb and dropped it. Running further, I dropped the ID and went down a tunnell. The AI used the "Track" function on my (fake) name and told Security I was hiding in a locker. I came a bit later and watched the brain-dead assistant get dragged away. I found a convincing cover story and began my new life.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: April 24, 2010, 08:34:53 pm »

That was a fun game. There was so much going on. Here's a recap of what it was like from my end:

-I was one of five people who spawned as security officers.
-We arrested Danny Larson when we found him tripping in the medical storage. Turned out he had tourette's syndrome.
-We arrested Noe Nigita, though I'm not sure why. Then, the captain ordered us to arrest Chuck Liddell as an accomplice. I finally found him and chased him all over the ship, blasting taser fire everywhere.
-After draining two full taser guns, he runs into the church and runs circles around the entire security force. I chase him all the way down the hall with a stun baton. He pushes me down and gets around the corner, near the South Security Station. I follow. Suddenly, Captain Hammelyn fires four or five shots, striking Chuck in the chest three times (and me once, but it was friendly fire).
-We bring Liddell up to medbay and Danny Parson (not related to Larson) seizes up and dies for no reason. I find this suspicious.
-Meanwhile, a trial is being held for McKnight. We all go over there. On the way (this is about 15 minutes after Parson's death), somebody finds a security officer's corpse, which has suffocated. I start to suspect foul play.
-Right before the trial is about to begin, ANOTHER security officer dies. Convinced there is a killer at this point, and almost certain it is not McKnight because he is in custody, I convince the captain to postpone the trial and we all start a manhunt.
-A variety of stuff happens. At some point, we arrest Raikov Zutiv in the church. Since I've used all the handcuffs I took at game start, I go back to the security office to get some more.
-I pick up some stuff, and then walk into the brig. McKnight and Rotov (or whatever his name is) are waiting for me. They taze me and throw me in a box after taking my clothes. They're collecting things when I burst out of the box and try to escape. Unfortunately, I am handcuffed, and cannot fight back. They chase me around a bit when the Head of Personnel (Daggernoble), who had previously supported McKnight's innocence in the trial walks in. They shoot him and start beating him up with my stun baton. McKnight chases me around the room with a crowbar, completely demolishing the place. I take a gash across the chest. Finally, the door opens and I run out. Steelzombie (a security officer) tosses in a flash bang, and everybody is handcuffed.
-Steelzombie takes me to medbay and fixes me up and uncuffs me. I spend the next 15 minutes or so collecting clothing I can use. Rotov is disguising himself as me. Somebody gets my ID back and returns it to me.
-Vin (Our Head of Security) almost throws me in the brig over a misunderstanding of some sort. He realizes I'm a good guy, though, and I am allowed to carry on.
-I head over to the security records to check everything over. Raikov Zutiv comes in, and we discuss who we think is killing people. While we are talking, Vin and Daggernoble are killed when the prison shuttle door (which McKnight and Raitov opened) sucks all the oxygen out of the room and they suffocate. I think Raitov might have even dragged Vin into the room himself, judging by the OOC chat. By this point somebody has lit the medical station (and the entire east side of the station, for that matter) on fire. The escape shuttle will be on its way soon. Zutiv's lead is a toolbox he found outside of the teleportation chamber, which was electrocuted. We finally narrow the owner of the box to Xen, a security officer who has been prone to violence. The AI isn't responding to my requests for Xen's location, and we're not sure anybody will hear us out in this chaos anyways, so we set off looking for him.
-We find Drew's body in the hall, and then end up in the escape pod bay. Xen, who I had previously feared had died or something because he wasn't responding to me, mentions that Zutiv is not in his cell. I trick him into coming into our trap by telling him that I have arrested Zutiv and that Xen should come help me interrogate him. Zutiv and Hampshire (who is yet another security officer) rush in, and I stun baton and handcuff Xen just as the escape shuttle lands. We carry Xen to the escape shuttle, confident that he is the killer, and the majority of us get away.

Except for McKnight.

Who was the traitor.

I should have figured it was him from the way he tried to slash open my chest. It turned out his mission was to kill Virgil Lamb, the geneticist. He failed at this. And I assume he was blown to bits when the fire spread to the station.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: April 24, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »

No mention of me (ronkiv)

who kept busting out the first timer traitor.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #11157 on: April 24, 2010, 09:05:04 pm »

Binaries are good. Theres no BYOND decompiler right?

Know your source history? Apparently the original source was lost, and only recovered through a decompiler.

There are still residual GOTOs where a break, continue, or return should be.

Maybe we should just release one of our really old versions, one before the lighting system, just so that people still have something playable

Pre- or post-git? I have a decent collection of pre-git, and every version post-git is available almost instantly.

How about a version, pre-git, with a major feature removed, and countless hidden BS12 messages to clearly identify the version as unofficial?

Allow the hosts much freedom, but not free source access, and not freedom to impersonate the official server.

Have a legal disclaimer along the lines of "Some portions of this binary are the broducts of the bay12games.com/bay12forums.com community, and may not be altered, extracted, reverse engineered, or used in a distribution of any game, excepting an official compilation released publicly by an authorized member of the previously mentioned bay12games/bay12forums community"

It should be imposingly legal looking, unlike my attempt it should be written by someone with actual legal training, and it should only apply to parts that have been created by us, so that any lingering previous legal text may have minimal interference. It should set a mechanism(better yet, a ≡mechanism≡, used in a masterwork trap containing at least three artifact weapons) that can be used against any potential source-stealers.

Eh?
Eh!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: April 24, 2010, 09:09:39 pm »

Vote here!
VOTE HERE!

Edit: Note you cannot die from thirst or hunger.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:19:43 pm by head »
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: April 24, 2010, 09:13:59 pm »

http://www.twiigs.com/poll/Health/Pregnancy/53717
VOTE HERE!
Um, what ?

Also, the SS13 source was decompiled years ago, I think that DM has probebly had alot of changes to prevent it since then
And about a license, we are technically in no position to set one, and no-one would look at it anyway
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 950