Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808377 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #9240 on: March 29, 2010, 06:33:07 pm »

I think the general ammount of greif can be pinpointed from the shitty community byond has generated with it's bounty of anime shit games. I believe strongly that if we as a community wish to create a truely exceptional RP environment we should take action and port the code for this game to say c++ or java as c++ is byond code's older brother and java is a common code known by many however, if we wish to continue the byond game then we must figure out how to best go about it with the limited resources we can have from it with out creating a game breaking super lag.

my 2cents.

oh and I like the cell phone idea but we should keep station intercom too, or have a function on the phone with a station intercom public channel.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9241 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:24 pm »

Java: slower.
C++: Harder to edit.

Neither can be copied in any way from the BYOND code.

The result is that you have to create a game engine then build the game on top of that.

Java won't work as well, as they specifically state that BYOND, although not as fast as a compiled language, uses some highly optimized assembly, especially for list operations, although it might be slightly easier to write.

C++ is certainly an option, but I think that I could just as easily write it in C. How? Because the first C++ compiler, I think I read, simply converted C++ code to ugly C.

Function pointers.
Structs as vtables.

In general, you could remake it in almost any language, but BYOND is especially suited to the task, and has access to the existing code base.

What you want, then, is a custom non-BYOND master server lobby not accessable through BYOND, and maybe an external authentication system, to split it from the BYOND version. However, that means that only people who go on the Bay12 forums would know that it exists until somebody leaked a link.

And:
"c++ is byond code's older brother"
No, BYOND is a young boy whose role model is C++. C++ couldn't care less, as it has many fans, and is too busy working in the commercial game industry to care about every little programming language that took inspiration from it.

In fact, BYOND uses a primarily script language, compiled to bytecode(like java) but on a custom interpreter optimized for games, on a platform optimized for games, and with language features optimized for games in a way that C++ never could(without starting to look "a bit" uglier than BYOND's code ever could)
Eh?
Eh!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: March 29, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »

I propose Visual Basic Plus, as I will be able to assist thanks to my one year of Comp programming in highschool cause of stupid Guidance.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: March 29, 2010, 07:22:34 pm »

Well that blew my knowledge of the subject out of the water.
Thanks.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: March 29, 2010, 07:29:10 pm »

Yes, that would be better, because when the new DF version comes out, no ones going to hear from me for about week, as flattered as I am.   :P

Only.... a week? I already have a post DF2010 bunker stacked with snacks and soda. I have enough to live for about a month while I play. My teachers will assume me dead or something, and then I will emerge hopefully with a really long beard and catskin clothes.....
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #9245 on: March 29, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »

I'm with Mono on this, I've been working my arse off for about a week and a half so that I have all my degree assignments done for the next month so guilt about not studying wont ruin my experience.

Not that I'll be playing it solidly for a month, that would be bonkers, but I fully expect to eat breath and sleep it for a few days, then gradually begin the process of weaning myself off it until I've brought it down to a manageable, non-life-destroying level over the following 2 or 3 weeks ;)

I imagine the B12 SS13 server will be A.W.O.L. for a good week or two after it comes out anyway, as I doubt any more than 2 or 3 of us will be around at any one time to log on or host.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:44 pm »

I think we can leave BS12 as Byond code for now.

Re: the firelocks, I'll have a look at this and see what I can do to fix them  :-X
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: March 29, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »

Um, this may sound stupid, but I can't find a download link for the Persh stable on the ss13 google code project.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:18 pm »

You have to use an SVN client to download the code, there is no HTTP download.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: March 29, 2010, 09:21:38 pm »

Firelocks have had their "welded-shut" graphics added to the repo :)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: March 29, 2010, 09:38:17 pm »

Yeah I know what svn is, I do not know the svn link though.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: March 29, 2010, 10:05:04 pm »

..Wow, I can't find it either.  Where the hell did I get it ((and of course, I erase the links -_-)

If you need a copy, here's one, at least:

http://svn.slurm.us/public/spacestation13/trunk/

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:32 pm »

No offence jobhson but your server is REALLY laggy, googol can you host?  :P

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: March 29, 2010, 10:48:00 pm »

Holy crap, admin, NOW!

Please, you wouldnt believe how bad it is.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: March 29, 2010, 11:07:41 pm »

Heh, i can still host.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 950