Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808620 times)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #9120 on: March 27, 2010, 07:00:28 pm »

Server back up.

Too many critical errors...
what errors were these?  I could take a look at fixing some of them.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: March 27, 2010, 07:03:47 pm »

Well, I see qwertyuiopas suggestion as more of a computer network then anything.
To communicate between machinary, they send a plain ASCII message across the network, similer in syntax to SMTP

Code: [Select]
S: 220 smtp.example.com ESMTP Postfix
C: HELO relay.example.org
S: 250 Hello relay.example.org, I am glad to meet you
C: MAIL FROM:<bob@example.org>
S: 250 Ok
C: RCPT TO:<alice@example.com>
C: RCPT TO:<theboss@example.com>
C: DATA
S: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
C: From: "Bob Example" <bob@example.org>
C: To: Alice Example <alice@example.com>
C: Cc: theboss@example.com
C: Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:02:43 -0500

Its fairly close to human readable.
The network could be treated as a mini-internet with messages sent to devices on it. The AI would also be limited by the network.
I think something like this would be cool
"a4b4m1":POWER OFF MAINBREAKER

"a4b4m1"being an address hash, and POWER OFF MAINBREAKER being the command.
It would probebly also require a password or something, but you could grab that by packet-scanning for any AI commands, or breaking into the password control room or something, another idea to control lights for example, would be to manually press the lightswitch yourself, and check what command is being sent

EDIT:Sukasa, that is the error message, it doesn't say anything else
We should probebly start running the server in debug mode though
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:06:45 pm by Googolplexed »

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: March 27, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »

Well, I see qwertyuiopas suggestion as more of a computer network then anything.
To communicate between machinary, they send a plain ASCII message across the network, similer in syntax to SMTP

S: 220 smtp.example.com ESMTP Postfix
C: HELO relay.example.org
S: 250 Hello relay.example.org, I am glad to meet you
C: MAIL FROM:<bob@example.org>
C: RCPT TO:<alice@example.com>
C: RCPT TO:<theboss@example.com>
C: DATA
S: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
C: From: "Bob Example" <bob@example.org>
C: To: Alice Example <alice@example.com>
C: Cc: theboss@example.com
C: Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:02:43 -0500

Its fairly close to human readable.
The network could be treated as a mini-internet with messages sent to devices on it. The AI would also be limited by the network.
I think something like this would be cool
"a4b4m1":POWER OFF MAINBREAKER

"a4b4m1"being an address hash, and POWER OFF MAINBREAKER being the command.
It would probebly also require a password or something, but you could grab that by packet-scanning for any AI commands, or breaking into the password control room or something, another idea to control lights for example, would be to manually press the lightswitch yourself, and check what command is being sent

EDIT:Sukasa, that is the error message, it doesn't say anything else
We should probebly start running the server in debug mode though

I love this computer network idea.  Might as well add a really simple encryption (obviously, meant to be human-breakable) for some things perhaps.  I would suggest, though, that power cable and network cable be separate, since that way you could do fun things like leave the power cabling connected, but stop the AI from, say, being able to control the equipment in the plasma lab.  Similarly, the AI wouldn't be able to get atmospherics or fire information from sensors in that lab, unless they're connected a different way.  If the code is done right, this sort of thing should be doable without lagging the server to hell and back.

And a debug-mode server would be a good thing, just to get information about crashes.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9123 on: March 27, 2010, 07:42:42 pm »

How to do it without lag:
Have all network-enabled devices in a list, where the list is merely a list of IDs. Then have the corresponding data the actual refrence.

So,
netdevices[0] = "A3CB49"
netdevices["A3CB49"] = {refrence}

Or,
netdevices += newdevice.netid
netdevices[newdevice.netid] = newdevice

Thus when you send a message to a device, you only preform one array lookup.

The drawback is that such devices would need to override deletion to remove themselves from the list, but that is easily done.
Eh?
Eh!

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: March 27, 2010, 07:49:04 pm »

Yeah, the powernet currently works in a similer way, execept that theres no "key" to access each item.

I actually think that this is quite doable

It would require some balancing for the AI though, otherwise it would be trival to stop a rogue one
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:51:27 pm by Googolplexed »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:14 pm »

Would this allow people to do things like send a command to open all airlocks at once?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: March 27, 2010, 07:58:37 pm »

However, in the powernets, as far as I know, you never need to access an individual item, except during a complete iteration. There is likely a computation penalty to using non-integer indexes, but it would probably be far less than iterating it yourself to find the matching id.

Would this allow people to do things like send a command to open all airlocks at once?

That would likely require a broadcast packet with a destination device type ID of "airlock", and for the network system to be set up to allow broadcast packets
for(var{/network/device/path/here}/n in netdevices)
    n.recieveBroadcast({wharever})
And devices to know what type of device they are, and finally, for airlocks to accept the command, since they could reject it for insufficient authorization or someone could have cut the network wire(if wireless, this wire would be one of the standard door internal wires)

But in short, YES, if the implementation meets the specification and the specification isn't reduced before then or otherwise altered to be impossible.
Eh?
Eh!

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: March 27, 2010, 08:14:19 pm »

And so we come to one of the big problems

We need some specs before we can actually start coding, this isn't a feature that can just be implented with no planning

Can we get on SS13 to discuss it further ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:25:51 pm by Googolplexed »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: March 27, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »

Things to make the AI stronger:

- More atmos, bring back N2O for brig, allow it access to more plasma, and a way to light it.

- Mobile robot. Very basic functions, can break and carry stuff, and operate tools. Very easy to kill.

- Defense for satellite. As of now, it is easier to destroy the sat then to destroy the foyer...

Bugs:

-When cutting the test light wire, screw driving the airlock panel back on resets the test light to "on" even thought the wire is still cut.

-Fake walls are revealed by light

-vats destroyed by fire don't seem to release their contents.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: March 27, 2010, 08:30:19 pm »

Okay, then why don't we start putting some specs together.

We'd need to cover...

Physical connections (how do the nets get determined?)
Internal Representation (How do you access parts of a complete net)
Net Change handling (I cut a wire, what now?)
A communications specification to use in the network (Key issues atm: Point to Point, broadcast, authentication / access integration)
Net Traversal (Can we have multiple nets?  If so, can we communcation between devices on different nets?  How?)
Graphics (Pretty easy part)
Wireless Connections (Should certain machinery types be able to use an implied wireless net?)
(More Here)

One thing that immediately springs to mind with wireless nets is that goonstation (and maybe here, i don't remember) had a device that stopped radios from working near it (static) - this would be a great way to a traitor to prevent wireless devices from working.

Re: the test light: This means that power was restored to the door, since there is backup power too, not just main power.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: March 27, 2010, 08:35:12 pm »

That would make the traitor overpowered. He could take out a gun and just shoot until everyone died, and noone would know.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: March 27, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »

It would probably be better to just assume that everything is wireless, because the mappers don't need *another* set of cables to lay out(Except possibly for lighting) and if all you had to do to disable the AI was cut a few wires, it would be imbalanced.

Communication would need two main forms, broadcasts and direct messages, where broadcasts are sent to all devices and direct messages are sent directly to devices by ID. A network reader would likely copy communications to/from either a device it is attached to or maybe nearby devices.

Another possibility is a device that steals the ID of another device, giving the device a new ID and using it's old ID, as it would make an interesting traitor object. Example: set a device to impersonate a brig cell door, and set it to forward communications. However, it could then be used as an override switch by simply having it stop forwarding communications.
Eh?
Eh!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: March 27, 2010, 08:46:32 pm »

Server crashed  :(

And I was doing so well too.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: March 27, 2010, 08:59:36 pm »

You know how traitors get radios to give them an edge, why not give the AI a new ability, like faking the voice of someone?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: March 27, 2010, 09:02:35 pm »

You know how traitors get radios to give them an edge, why not give the AI a new ability, like faking the voice of someone?

That sounds cool. Also gives the opportunity for HAL-like awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 950