Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808743 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #9045 on: March 26, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »

May I recommend replacing the "one-way" pipes from the CO2 connectors to the hot and cold loops with pumps?

Also, may I recommend setting the batteries as a map default? It is annoying how the batteries are not set at the start of the round.  I mean, it's not like we just arrived.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: March 26, 2010, 06:01:00 pm »

May I recommend replacing the "one-way" pipes from the CO2 connectors to the hot and cold loops with pumps?

Also, may I recommend setting the batteries as a map default? It is annoying how the batteries are not set at the start of the round.  I mean, it's not like we just arrived.

Er, yah it is, the engine hasnt started. :P

The solar arrays are also offline.

Also, the batteries are a small detail that should be left, I like them like that. It creates more possibilities to mess up the station.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: March 26, 2010, 06:03:45 pm »

Also, the batteries are a small detail that should be left, I like them like that. It creates more possibilities to mess up the station.

ZOMG, WUTZ WRONG WITH POWER!?!? :P
Man, people still forget turning those things on. Well, I have to admit, so did I when I first worked as an engineer on this server. Finally setting up the engine kinda made me forget about those things called batteries :-[

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: March 26, 2010, 06:04:57 pm »

DUDE. NOT EVEN FUNNY.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: March 26, 2010, 06:08:43 pm »

Seriously, if anyone just turns the SMES's on, then the station is powered for like half an hour. They should start completely zeroed.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: March 26, 2010, 06:14:42 pm »

Seriously, if anyone just turns the SMES's on, then the station is powered for like half an hour. They should start completely zeroed.
It's a convience in case the round takes too much time away from the engi's small world of engines and lighting himself on fire.
Hello Hunam

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9051 on: March 26, 2010, 06:18:07 pm »

Actually, it breaking areas is somewhat of a good thing, as areas actually limit the gameplay. Example: At least with the old code, you couldn't have a light switch in a sub-section of an area without making it an entirely new area(or edited instance of the old), requiring it's own APC. By designing lighting so that light switches are independant of areas, and that the light bulbs themselves defer to their parent switch. Even if you can't do that yet, simply having light objects in-game is the first step, as it allows better player-constructed stations.

Also, to continue the lighting trend, I added an improvement to the SS81 lighting code to also use gradients. IT has an irocic full circle aspect, since (as far as I know) it was the first to have a lighting system other than lighting the area if the APC was giving power to lighting.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
Eh?
Eh!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: March 26, 2010, 06:33:52 pm »

Server up again
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: March 26, 2010, 07:21:25 pm »

Er...Head, could you adapt Googol's power usage code? For your server, disconnecting APCs from external power doesnt shut them off for atleast 10 minutes, and most APCs are still on after 15 minutes.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: March 26, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »

qwerty: By breaking areas, I mean that light switches didn't work at all, firealarms were busted, the shuttles never came, you couldn't spawn, etc.

Unfortunately, in SS13 light switches will not be able to do sub-area lighting, the best you could get for that is revamping them to use an id-based system like conveyors, pod doors, and mass drivers do.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9055 on: March 26, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »

I got that to work easily with a secondary power network for lighting. Simply connect a switch to a light with it, and the switch(and any others connected) toggles the state of the light circuit. The circuit would then set the individual lights.

By simply implementing lights for lighting rather than magically giving light to lit areas, you have accomplished the first step towards such a system, if you ever wanted to extend it that way. The key point of using a physical network is simply that players can only properly interact with physical objects and text interfaces. Asking them what network to connect a light to is just unfair, as they could set up a light room showing what parts of the station are in use, or they would get frustrated trying to match the light to the switch, and match switches to each other, and then the greifer comes along who makes a second switch for every light set in a remote base...
Not that such remote switches are impossible with cabling, but at least someone with a t-ray scanner could trace the cables back to their base(In fact, such a setup would suddeny be barely greif, as it is much closer to actual RP. First, it is easy to find them by tracing cables, and second, they must create them in the first place.)

Much later, maybe add a wireless LAN system for sending inter-machinery messages, and then you can reveal the conveyor, pod door, and mass driver IDs to the players(assign it a random but consistant 4-digit hex string, randomized at the start of the round, and replacing each mapper-ID set with a unique code), especially as it would allow remote prison doors and other neat features, and explains how the AI could operate them. That gives the potential later update that anything the AI does must go through such WLAN interfaces, and thus exposes all of those functions to crafty players. Add modular components such as timers and logic gates, and you have a primitive wireless wiremod so that you actually *CAN* create an automated airlock cycle that drains the air before letting you out, to conserve valuable resources, and all from in-game with no mapper input!

Further, adding a general wire interface to all objects, and a system for giving the object a list of functions for the wires, so that it can create just enough of them and re-order them on a per-type basis, and each proc can check it's wire state by passing it's own path, with instant failure if it doesn't have a wire assigned at all, otherwise success or failure determined by the status of it's wire in the device....

And then the possibilities of a packet gathering device that reveals all of the codes and devices during a N-second interval...

Well, that was getting too far into the future, but those are all potential ideas for the next few decades of development.
Eh?
Eh!

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: March 26, 2010, 08:14:35 pm »

Wow, nice post, lots of ideas.

I like the idea of a Single Unified Control System (the opposite of the acronym!), or a wired (and/or) wireless system.  Both could add a lot to gameplay, such as traitors being required to alter the network IDs of all sorts of equipment (get the network ID code for the chapel mass driver and assign it to the engine ejection module ;D), or even just disrupting system (Cut the AI hardline to the bridge and monitor its network packets, etc).

I guess just jot that one down for the moment and get to it after a few more pressing issues have been dealt with (e.g. speed issues, if they apply)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: March 26, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »

Of course, if you add cabling in for lights to switches/apcs, then you must add in a traitor item that attaches to the switch and blows out every light connected to it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: March 26, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »

Another fun item might be a way to put a bomb into a cardboard tube and have it be installed into a light fixture.  Instant fun for whoever turns the light on next!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:06 pm »

So...could we NOT have RPing hulks mad at the world and killing everyone. It kinda ruins gameplay, as most things that kill a bunch of people do.

If I wanted to, I could just RP a cerial killer, and go on a rampage, really. :P

"Edit" I do realise it was RP correct, but please, RP something besides killers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:35:57 pm by Orb »
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 950