Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 809351 times)

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #8640 on: March 20, 2010, 12:36:29 am »

We should really overhaul the AI system. A more GLaDOS-like system, instead of Amoiv's laws would probably fit SS13 more.

Asimov's laws don't quite fit in well with the setting.  I imagine something like this would be more fitting:

1) Do not destroy, or through inaction allow the destruction of NanoTrasen property.
2) Do not harm, or through inaction allow the harm of NanoTrasen staff, unless it would conflict with law one.
3) Do not disobey orders from NanoTrasen staff, unless such orders would conflict with laws one and two.

By GLaDOS-like, do you mean something module-based?  I'm not too familiar with Portal, but I think that was how she functioned.  Anyway, it sounds interesting, though like you said would take a serious overhaul to get it to work.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: March 20, 2010, 12:38:39 am »

Just wondering, why is Cecilff2 admin? i have never seen him post on here?

:P
You responded to one of my posts on page 575 even.

And yeah it went down.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: March 20, 2010, 12:39:22 am »

Just wondering, why is Cecilff2 admin? i have never seen him post on here?

:P
You responded to one of my posts on page 575 even.

And yeah it went down.

damn, i really need to start remembering usernames

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: March 20, 2010, 03:34:40 am »

We should really overhaul the AI system. A more GLaDOS-like system, instead of Amoiv's laws would probably fit SS13 more.

Asimov's laws don't quite fit in well with the setting.  I imagine something like this would be more fitting:

1) Do not destroy, or through inaction allow the destruction of NanoTrasen property.
2) Do not harm, or through inaction allow the harm of NanoTrasen staff, unless it would conflict with law one.
3) Do not disobey orders from NanoTrasen staff, unless such orders would conflict with laws one and two.

By GLaDOS-like, do you mean something module-based?  I'm not too familiar with Portal, but I think that was how she functioned.  Anyway, it sounds interesting, though like you said would take a serious overhaul to get it to work.

I wasn't really sure what I meant, but yes, that is how she worked.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #8644 on: March 20, 2010, 06:34:27 am »

I think perhaps he was talking less about how GLaDOS worked, and more how she acted! If that is indeed the case, I'm in full support of this wonderful idea. There aren't enough maternal AIs with a penchant for infanticide these days ;)

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: March 20, 2010, 07:52:37 am »

Since there's no admin on, I'll just put this here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: March 20, 2010, 10:47:42 am »

Hmmm, but the humans rely on the station and equipment to live, while the equipment and station don't require the humans to live. Anyone with a hint of grief in them will think "must kill all humans to protect the station"

Of course someone with common sense would notice the hull breaches and how you need humans to fix that.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: March 20, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »

Anyone going to fix the firealarm in the engine block thats behind vats?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: March 20, 2010, 12:34:21 pm »

Some serious grief going on again. Combo teamed up OOCly with like five other guys. Could an admin get on and sort this shit out?
Yeah, not five, three.
ComboTroop/Bernhard Stuggart
?/Conor 'Potato' O'Brien
?/Aunty Phetamine
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:37:16 pm by Pillow_Killer »
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: March 20, 2010, 12:39:18 pm »

Hmmm, but the humans rely on the station and equipment to live, while the equipment and station don't require the humans to live. Anyone with a hint of grief in them will think "must kill all humans to protect the station"

Of course someone with common sense would notice the hull breaches and how you need humans to fix that.

I just like picturing NanoTrasen having the motto of "Workers are replaceable - this station's worth billions!"  Really, the only things that would change is the AI's inability to stop/harm the Traitor/Syndicate/Wizards, and the removal of the potential "Destroy the station/yourself or I'll kill myself" loophole.  And quite frankly, any player with a "hint" of grief in them would disregard the laws and kill the humans anyway.

Quote from: Orb
Anyone going to fix the firealarm in the engine block thats behind vats?

If Head would send me his files I would.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40:55 pm »

Some serious grief going on again. Combo teamed up OOCly with like five other guys. Could an admin get on and sort this shit out?
Yeah, not five, three.
ComboTroop/Bernhard Stuggart
?/Conor 'Potato' O'Brien
?/Aunty Phetamine
Yeah, Aunty was being Griefy when I was last on, He/she was the person in the suit here.
I can also be an admin and yeah i hate it, i was killed by some guy in a suit during a trial when everybody ran out of the courtroom to catch a guy and then all went to hell.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: March 20, 2010, 12:56:58 pm »

PhobeosLC: That ban was so not for you.  Something glitched in the ban page and you were the target instead of another player.  You're fine.

In related news, TheGrifter and ComboTroop are getting a couple weeks ban from the server for instigating a revolution during a round - I don't think this is acceptable unless it's admin-approved, and besides that there's already a round for it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:04:45 pm by Trorbes »

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: March 20, 2010, 01:36:49 pm »

Combo's a twit anyway.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: March 20, 2010, 02:24:12 pm »

I feel a revolution is fine, assuming it isn't a "KILL EVERYONE WHO DOESN"T SUBMIT" type. If the scientists wish to secede from the station and declare themselves Med Station 82 or something due to the "oppression" of the command staff, it makes for interesting games. Now, if the same staff rebels silently, and wanders around with grenades and injectors and kills everyone, that's griefing.

Here is my philosophy. if it doesn't hurt anyone else, and if its properly RPed, its fine. If its someone just running around smashing stuff, and building walls and windows everywhere, thats grief.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: March 20, 2010, 02:47:43 pm »

Stop crashing the server with bombs :(
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 950