Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808740 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #9030 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are no zombie "generations"

The only real perk zombie leader has is the ability to destroy R-walls by himself.

Interesting idea Qwerty.

Weird, I recall people mentioning generations, and it made sense with what I saw....be awesome if it was implemented, nethertheless.

Also, I must know, does cold hurt zombies?

"Edit" Also, like Qwerty said, it make sense if crowbars did the most melee damage. Making it do more damage than even the fire exstinguisher, instead of lowering everything else a bit and raising the crowbar's damage, might cause problems, but nethertheless, I think its a good idea. :)

"Edit2" Hehe, reading through what I said, I sounded like a complete idiot. I giggled.

"One too many edits" Er....if anyone wants to host, I will play.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:05:39 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: March 26, 2010, 03:42:32 pm »

Gentlemen, I submit to you a few points of note. I have seen them brushed aside often, but here I plead for a serious tone. Also, I appologise now, as I do generalize by speaking to all B12 admins.

First, admins should not treat the hosted B12 server as their own toybox. Do _not_ come no-clipping in to atmos, set fire to the gas store, then throw the poor atmos tech in to the inferno. Do _not_ waltz in to engineering, smash the place up, then throw the poor engineer in to the inferno. Different admins, same trend.
Even in sandbox mode, these players could be learning how to work BS12, and do not have your knowledge of every trick (Yes, the ones you consistently refuse to share).
Name names, probably in a PM.  I for one only have ever noclipped during debugging (and a few times in a normal round by accident).  In a non-serious game (like sandbox) it's not important, in my opinion, so long as it doesn't interfere with other players.  I almost never see this "personal toybox" behavior done by any of the other admins, and I know some of the admins here during the Data saga would be appalled at this kind of behavior.

Second, in more frequent reoccurrence lately I have seen BS12 hosted by someone only to be rebooted every five minutes for a half hour or longer. This happened today, to flip the TEG overlay icon orientation. I acknowledge some testing needs to be live, but please: if possible, keep minor tests offline.
Actually, Head was testing some fixes to lighting/AI links to people.  I was looking at the engine generator to see if I could fix it, but that was unrelated to Head's plans, and had nothing to do with the restarting.  Besides, he warned us he was doing it in the forums, so you should have expected this.

B12 is not hosted 27/7.. and when it comes online people come to play. Again, please see a community resource as something other than your toybox.
We aren't the Goons, and can't host separate dev/play servers, either.  At least he chose morning in the US to test, which should theoretically be a low point in traffic, so it's not like he was doing it during peak hours or anything.

Finally, there have been multiple occasions where I have approached a development team member offering work, to be summarily turned away. The reaction I see has become instinctual, as I have never been returned a question of qualification or offerings. I fear for this project's future, as a culture of exclusion can only stagnate and die.
Just curious, but what is it that you proposed to add, anyway?  There's no real dedicated development roles in this community, anyway, and as far as I'm aware, anyone who's been allowed to do something for the game has had something to add from the beginning.

These behaviors are frustrating to your current community, and  warn away future contributors. Those given authority should  be responsible to culture the community, and need to consider the  community's wants and needs. Should you be serious about this project, i wholeheartedly recommend  you consider these issues.
Honestly?  It sounds like you're whining because it's not going the way you want it.  Yes, we're a little overprotective of the code, and yes, sometimes we disregard playability for debugging purposes (the initial release of the new map was pretty much an open beta for a few weeks), but we've always been like this and it's hardly "frustrating to [our] current community, and [warning] away future contributors," aside from, as far as I'm aware, yourself.  If you could persuade me that this is a pervasive feeling throughout the community then I could certainly come to agree with you, but until then all I can see are a few naysayers.

And I admit I'm being hostile here, but your "I know what's best for you" attitude rubs me the wrong way.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: March 26, 2010, 03:49:16 pm »

First, admins should not treat the hosted B12 server as their own toybox. Do _not_ come no-clipping in to atmos, set fire to the gas store, then throw the poor atmos tech in to the inferno. Do _not_ waltz in to engineering, smash the place up, then throw the poor engineer in to the inferno. Different admins, same trend.
Even in sandbox mode, these players could be learning how to work BS12, and do not have your knowledge of every trick (Yes, the ones you consistently refuse to share).

We need to know the keys of the admins online at the time.  Use adminwho next time and let us know.  If the server hasn't crashed since the abuse and a different admin comes on, let him/her know.  We have a log we can check and verify this stuff.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: March 26, 2010, 03:56:19 pm »

I've heard many people come in and offer to code, and they almost never have any idea of what they want to add. I'll give you a perfect example of how to approach us with help for coding. Do what Sukasa did. Get an old copy of the goonstation code, its effectively the same, sans atmos for the most part, and program some really kick ass thing in there. He didn't come on the server, begging for access to the code, hell, I didn't even know he existed until he popped on and said, "Hey, here's lighting code, pretty much modular, enjoy." Then he's contributed some other stuff, I don't know what. THAT is how you approach a dev team properly, sacrifice gift held above your head, and praying asking politely that we smother it and you in magma accept it.

And yes, in sandbox, I tend to use any powers I have to do cool things. If giving myself telekinesis helps, I do it. I also freely give out powers to anyone who asks in sandbox. If it weren't for the fact that the injectors got semibroken, I would leave a stash of xray and tele on the arrival shuttle every sandbox round.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: March 26, 2010, 03:58:13 pm »

Regarding Sandbox, it's precisely that. You could spend time learning everything, if you know everything the you just muck around. I'm all for whatever happening during those rounds.
Also, Serverrrr?
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: March 26, 2010, 03:58:23 pm »

Actually I have a few other things in that old lump I should pull out and polish, see if you guys want them.

Though, to be fair the lighting was hardly modular, it broke everything related to areas  ::)
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: March 26, 2010, 04:00:55 pm »

Yeah, but other then that it was pretty much plug and play. No worse then installing a new driver on Windows.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:04 pm »

Actually I have a few other things in that old lump I should pull out and polish, see if you guys want them.

Though, to be fair the lighting was hardly modular, it broke everything related to areas  ::)

Oh yeah it wasn't modular at all:D
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: March 26, 2010, 04:25:08 pm »

Head put the server up, just so you guys know. :)

"Edit" Er...its sandbox. o_O

Now its not, come and play. :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:35:53 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: March 26, 2010, 04:35:35 pm »

btw fixed the 10min download time ^^
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: March 26, 2010, 05:25:46 pm »

This sounds quite worrying. It can be ok if an admin walks around naked noclipping ( last time headswe did it, we roleplayed it being a poltergeist- I even assigned somebody to be a ghost buster). But if they use admin powers to interfere with normal gameplay, that is very bad and should be reported. I suggest you speak to headswe about this.

Yeah. Not much we can do without names, but I wouldn't post them in this forum, PM them to headswe or someone.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:51 pm »

Not the dreaded server crash. D:

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »

Did the server just crash...again? :(

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: March 26, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »

Awwww, that server crash interrupted my SCIENCE!!

Also that was hilarious, the second I walked into my new job, (chemist) I was greeted by some guy blowing himself up.
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: March 26, 2010, 05:54:39 pm »

Hey, could someone hook me up to the Git repository?
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 950