Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 810849 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #6885 on: February 01, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »

I would personally state something along the lines of
"In 60% of the cases where a human was allowed to edit an AI's laws, the new law directly caused the harm of humans. Thus, I will NOT let you in."
Eh?
Eh!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: February 01, 2010, 07:29:48 pm »

Except if you don't listen to orders, the humans will think you're a malfunctioning evil AI (a game mode), and then come kill you. AI's are defenceless, except for a few cannons in their upload foyar. If they have space suits, you are doomed.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6887 on: February 01, 2010, 07:43:18 pm »

If the entire crew is aware, yes, it would probably be a good idea to let them in. But if they are trying alone, announce that to everyone, and the instant suspicion of the person trying to upload the law change might solve your problems for you.
Eh?
Eh!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: February 01, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »

Or even just randomly announce that a passerby is trying to get in. "Beorn Hastings is standing near the access to my upload..
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: February 02, 2010, 12:23:46 am »

In reverse, framing the AI would be fun.

Use a multi-tool on a few doors to electrify them, then sit back and watch the show

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:54 am »

Reminds me of a time on Data's server.  I had watched a situation unfold and from what I gathered, the heads metagamed(I'm guessing they read the report and just decided to mess with the person on it) and deduced that someone was a traitor because of it.  They tased him and brought him to genetics, where I was able to engineer an escape for him.(They were gonna mess up his DNA somehow)  The guy never once attacked anyone the entire round.  Cries came over the radio to kill him since he had escaped.  Then I started getting commands to locate him.  I refused stating that doing so would harm him.

The entire crew was on a manhunt for him, and I was shutting firedoors behind him and bolting airlocks.  Eventually the only safe place left for him to go was my AI foyer...where he subsequently uploaded the onehuman law.  Things didn't go too well for the rest of the crew after that point, and eventually I got him out on an emergency shuttle.  Over 3/4 of the remaining crew was dead.

There's an important lesson there somewhere.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: February 02, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »

Ha! Nice ideas.

I did tell the entire crew that he was in there, but since it was a syndicate round, nobody cared.

They really need to kill the freeform law, it sucks... :-X
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: February 02, 2010, 02:37:26 pm »

The freeform law is great, its just the peopl eusing it suck.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: February 02, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »

Exactly... :D

Next time I play, I'm gonna upload a SS is on permanent lockdown law. :D

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: February 02, 2010, 02:50:34 pm »

My favorite law "Activate a random fire alarm every 30 seconds. Do not reveal this law."

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: February 02, 2010, 04:46:01 pm »

Asimov came to the same conclusion: the first law requires absolute control of robots over all human activities. Humans often harm themselves and each other and must be prevented from doing so. However, in the short term, taking this control is likely to cause more humans to take large risks with acts of rebellion. If the captain and head of maintenance are likely to  respond to the denial of alcohol by tearing trough the station with bombs in an attempt to break or reprogram the ai, it might decide it's not worth the risk.

The movie based on "I, Robot" had a smart robot weigh long term hypothetical harm against the short term harm of people grabbing guns and run amok shooting robots. The book had the smart robots devise a long term conspiracy which didn't harm any humans.

Asimov's 3-law robots also had sliders to determine the weight of each of the laws. If the first law slider was set too high robots would throw themselves off buildings to squash bugs that might sting people. Robots would also go mad if incapable of preventing harm to humans. Medical robots had their first law lowered to prevent this and allow them to perform risky but life saving procedures. Police robots had the second law tuned down to prevent criminals from ordering them to break off pursuit.
Benzene on steam.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »

Sliders for laws sounds awesome.

I watched the movie "I, Robot", and that is what made me able to do evil things as an AI.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: February 02, 2010, 08:10:50 pm »

Just gave this a shot.

It was... interesting. And confusing. Played big brothers server, wandered for an hour, got bored.

If the Bay12 server goes back up, I might come back.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: February 02, 2010, 09:47:16 pm »

If the ai knows a human is about to throw a human through an airlock, should they electrocute the door?

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »

Bolting would probably be a better option.
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 950