Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 810492 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #3315 on: August 01, 2009, 06:47:54 pm »

Well, I've been at Maine for a while but finally got on the internet. So, what updates have been made in the past two weeks?

Admins can spawn events, radiation no longer is game breaking, map has ALOT of internals, and toxins has a walkway instead of a launcher now.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #3316 on: August 01, 2009, 09:18:37 pm »

... long quote ...

How about you describe how you would set the system up to recognise the total griefer and discouraage them?

Such as creating tool closets that contain multiple sets of toolbox tools while restricting the number of toolboxes and toolbox accessability? This way, it is easier to accuire the tools, as you don't have to worry about finding an empty toolbox, and at the same time reduce toolbox greifing.

Or causing clotheslessness to have a greater impact, and make it obvious from the start.

Create more varied gameplay with routine random automatic malfunction such as an old pipe cracking, requiring the engine's cold loop to need to be disabled so that the damaged pipe can be replaced with a spare in better condition.

Toss in semi-random illness, at an average rate of one every 10-20 minutes, with very little consequence for the player, but still giving medical a real job.

Create more weapon types, and add "healing compounds" that can be created in the chem lab, only a randomly selected ~30% helpful, and ~40% toxic. This will cause a better interchange between toxins, chem, med, and bio, as they can develop a "miracle cure" with time, testing, effort, and coordination.

Make bomb making/testing less than half of the duties of toxins by giving them air filter junctions that take an air pipe in and split it left and right, where you can set what direction each air-substance goes. Place a single unit in atmospherics, requiring toxins to do more of the work to keep up with greater threats(toxins gets 2-3). Add 3-7 "RP substances" with unknown properties and compositions that can be analyzed and produced, with variances such as exceptional fuel, a co2 to oxygen catalyst, a healing rate reducer, an instant-rust comound, and other such interesting uses, but reqire activation conditions that reveal this effect or convert the substance. Say ~5 triggers such as heating, cooling, high-pressure, low-pressure, exposure to ~4 diffrent types of catalyst, exposure to various electric currents. One or two morph the substance, one or two activates it, one to three explodes it(weak explosion, unable to kill or damage enviroment, but would damage aparatus/catalyst and destroy sample), and the rest do nothing.

Add comets and asteroid mining: A magnetic asteroid capture unit that can draw in large meteortype objects and bring them close but not touching the staion where they can be mined for metals and ores that can be extracted into metal and glass sheets, as well as small portions oc certain substances such as the ones used in chemistry from certain ores. The occasional asteroid will contain crystals that can be processed into more exotic substances. Maybe these crystals can have steampunkish properties of extremely limited niche uses, such as naturally gathering/storing power(I played myst 4 recently. If you have, you know the crystals) or faintly producing heat.

Tools should break sometimes, and there should be a materials reprocessor that draws in large quantities of energy and reduces almost anything to it's component resources for use in the chem lab, processing into sheets, or used in an autolathe.

Any device should be constructable, but some of the more advanced ones should require extreme effort. It shoud be possible to create your own solar panels and control computers, and rotate solar panels by hand. There should be a voltmeter that can give clues to door wire functions(power and AI control should have constant power use, maybe others) though to counterbalance, there should be at least one more wire with a critical function.

The reliance on areas for advanced functions such as power distribution should be reduced, this can be seen in my personal recreation alpha where an APC sends power to everything connected(and it supports multiple APCs per net, splitting the load between them!), and the APCs draw power from a conduit network of much larger high-power conduits, that ould work perfectly as a link between generation, SMES, APC, and large machinery such as the materials reprocessor mentioned earlier.

Enough splatters on a window should make it opaque, if possible. There should be more splaterable substances than blood. Blood should contain the DNA of it's owner, though it will mingle and scramble somewhat if mixed with other bood on the same tile.

New arrivals should appear on an arrival station with shuttles departing every 30 seconds whenever players are waiting. Certain high-security areas should log what IDs are in there each minute. Each ID should only contain a name, job title, an access table, and a Unique Identifier string(can be tampered with great dificulty, probably a "randomize digit" interface like the current bio) and there should be a command database. Doors should send a request to the database if a player should be allowed access in higher access areas. Lower areas still use the card's permissions. This gives the captain the authority to allow the AI to edit the ID database, though it should be toggled to off initially.

All doors should be openable regardless of power state, but if teh bolts are down and the power is off, it may require cutting it open with a welder to open, and this should take at LEAST 10 seconds and log an alert to the AI and all security consoles if a camera is in view.

Revival from death should be more dificult and have conseqences regardless(such as no auto-heal, your broken leg stays broken, and if you have a severed artery, you will die again quite quickly), but it should be possible to revive recently(20 seconds or so) dead players with a defibrilatior, and prolong the true death delay with CPR.

Got any more ideas?

They should be implementable, though easily is not nessecery.
These could be the ultra-long term goals for BS12.
Eh?
Eh!

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 01, 2009, 11:19:57 pm »

Something I wanted to put my two cents on is revival.  That is, it shouldn't be possible as-is.  Technically, the current method is less a gameplay mechanic and more an exploit by changing someone's "monkey" state, which resets the character's stats in what could probably be a cheap work-around to some possible issues, likely also the offending problem with Monkey Mode.   Gamewise it shouldn't happen that way, and its current usage cheapens death (a fairly significant factor in the game) severely.  Ultimately, any changes to it should be to remove this exploit from the game rather than balance it, in my opinion.

A true revival system should be costly, prohibitive, a decision of great moral (and legal) consequences, and only accessible by scientists under the command of the Captain.  Something you'd use to save an important person or a witness to the traitor's crimes, not Joe Greyshirt who was too stupid to avoid the giant airless gap in the hallway.  It should be hard to bring someone back - though I would say it's the act of bringing one back that's the difficult part, not their state afterword - and possibly a one-shot deal, whether it's too costly to use multiple times, or breaks irreparably after one use.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 02, 2009, 12:00:53 am »

Well actually, instead of having it break or something or other, the machine used to create such life should Overheat, or have a long incubation period..

I propose a Cloning sector, with one clone-tube, and it shall work with genetics. Say, cloning someone, then have genetics modify them to create the ultimate security squad with loyalty implants.

Which brings me to my ideas.

Cloning is a 8 minute process, and cooling down is a 4 minute process. So that's a clone every 12 minutes, although it could be adjustable. Cloning would work through blood samples. With each generation of clone, a minor defect is added to their cellular makeup. If blood is contaminated, then the clone would be majorly affected by whatever was in the bloodstream at the time. (poison, say, would limit their lifespan.)

Genetics would have new things instead of the end-all powers added. Like slightly increased muculature, allowing powerful attacks. Or increased dexterity, allowing tasks to be completed faster, or certain Psychological mutations like loyalty and obedience (taken from a dog?)

This would also require the earlier mentioned Biological research.

I think linking up the research teams to depend on each other, and randomized outcomes of experimentation would help kill the boredom that the higher-ups usually get. Let's not forget about the lower-classed civillians, make it so that if they have a criminal record, they can't access tools and such until it is cleared (Added through security records, of course.) Minor criminal records would mean banned access from lockers. While major crimes would totally de-rank them to have no access to anything ever.

Also, I think security needs some sort of 'crimes against humanity' rulebook. So that they don't give the major punishment when they should just be prisoned for 5 minutes. Anything that is incorrect can be treated as police brutality, and then THEY would be criminalized. In this game of grief and randomness, there should be little to no end-game jobs or exploits. If there are, make them limited. And furthermore, noone can be immortal. There should ALWAYS be one job that can best another in terms of preparedness and equipment.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: August 02, 2009, 01:21:33 am »

Change it? I love the grief fest. It's entertaining.

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: August 02, 2009, 02:03:29 am »

Well of COURSE we're going to have players who recieve random messages that they went insane/vengeful from another's actions. What are you nuts? The mysteries and huntings are the best thing!

I just wish people would kill in secret, and atleast ATTEMPT to stash bodies.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 02, 2009, 04:31:32 am »

My two cents to fixing the death problem.

In order to stop revivals, there should be an auto-ghost function, forcing the player to ghost after a certain amount of time dead. This makes their revival end with them brain dead.

For admins, they ought to have the ability to de ghost someone to reverse the random griefing inflicted.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: August 02, 2009, 09:00:20 am »

I'm a veteran of ss13, and what I see here is good and all, but it takes away from the random devil-may-care attitude. The revivals, toolboxing, and all of these things are such an integral part of the ss13 culture that it would deeply sadden me. Instead of Making things crime proof, add a tutorial and educate the griefers, and if they refuse education and continue to grief, ban them. I like all of the ideas, but based upon the community, do you really think that the labs will reAlly collaborate? Please, think of the complexity of the idea before suggesting and whether it will take away from the game's inherent insanity?

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: August 02, 2009, 09:26:57 am »

I agree with everyone, and I think we should make these goals our long time goals for BS12!  ;D Might be kinda hard, though.. And we'll need a little more, too, but, I think we call pull it off.

And regarding Kilowatt's thoughts, myself, being the optimistic person I am, I believe our community would be able to work together. However, we do need *more* of a reason for people to work together in the first place. For science, and for research, and for fame and achievements are all good reasons, but I doubt they would inspired enough. We would need many serious things happen to the station, over a period of time, to bring us all together, though.

A good example of when we DO work together, would be the cursed AI Malfunction round. Once we get that message, we all know what has to be done. Toxins starts making bombs, engineers, start getting the portal running, and the rest get suited up and ready. Chemists usually make a batch of thermite, for the crew that'll be attacking the AI Core. And there you have it, before you know, the crew is all working together for one common goal. (On this note, I would like to propose we remove the chemist job from medical research, and it put it in toxins, and merge the two jobs.)

We could, make the traitor/whatever the round is about more deadly, to start off with. Maybe a few more cool tools. An injector that lets you play dead, fools medical scanners, and get up at any time? Or maybe an implant, that would work as an emag, but would only allow you to open a single door? Maybe you could call in a spare needle of Unique Identifiers to change what you look like.
(And on this note, I would like to propose that in traitor rounds, the traitor starts out as a sleeper agent, only to be notified of his mission a bit later on.)

There are many things we need to change, and I believe we can do them. I just might have to learn how to code, first.  ;D

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: August 02, 2009, 09:57:50 am »

Alright, people, just got some nice update done. Namely, I have managed to reduce the CPU lag created by the game to that of a normal BYOND game(unless the whole damn station is leaking air). Got some other changes, too. I will host in a bit. Ah, forgot, regarding revival, when monkeys are made into humans, they should now have 150% toxin damage, so now they either need a cyro, or, if not possible, they have to stay monkey.

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: August 02, 2009, 10:19:03 am »

There we go: byond://93.196.55.78:1076 (my dynamic DNS seems to be fucked)

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 02, 2009, 10:32:56 am »

Something is still eating all my CPU! Must track it down and kill!!

Ah, seems to be BYOND(which I'm running on an emulated windows).. Oh, great, how am I supposed to host a lag free game if it takes me 50% of my CPU just to render a damn BYOND screen.

Alright, since there are no players gathering, I'm going to make some pizza. Leaving the server up so you people can gather :p
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:00:15 am by cib »

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: August 02, 2009, 12:02:32 pm »

News- Update is awesome. Thank you, CIB.That is all.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 02, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »

Anyone have the latest code we're using on the server?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 02, 2009, 04:35:25 pm »

If revival is removed, give players SOMETHING to do when dead. In an hour long round, getting wacked in the first few minutes is horrible. It's just plain annoying. "Hey other toxins guy, I'm gonna start making some bombs. Why are you pointing a flamethrower at me, we just got here. AGGHH IT BURNS" Turns into ghost. Three hours later, "Traitor escaped, objective kill other toxins guy." Since I've been that guy in three hour matches, I know it sucks. Add a 3-5 minute respawn lockout or something, but don't stop people from rejoining, except maybe on the quick rounds like monkey or AI mal.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 950