Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 809050 times)

Pick Yer Poison

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch yer back, soldier.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #12165 on: May 09, 2010, 04:06:26 pm »

*ahem*

From the wiki:
Multicasting is limited to only a single network, and hence cannot be used to control all the devices on the station simultaneously.

Pick Yer Poison

GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Lend a hand to the Bay Station 12 Space Station 13 wiki!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: May 09, 2010, 04:10:14 pm »

Meh, I'm sure a creative AI player can circumvent that. Heck, give me an engineers ID and time, and I'll vent the whole station myself.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Pick Yer Poison

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: May 09, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »

OK, either we remove Centcom mode, or we remove decompression, because as it stands the traitor holds the power to instantly turn the station into a death trap.

Pick Yer Poison

GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: May 09, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »

How does he do that? With summon meteor? That needs a nerf anyway.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Pick Yer Poison

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: May 09, 2010, 06:14:26 pm »

How does he do that? With summon meteor? That needs a nerf anyway.

Yeah. A single meteor can render a reinforced wall incapable of holding in the atmosphere (which is suddenly a very, very bad thing), and they just tear through regular walls and glass.

Pick Yer Poison

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: May 09, 2010, 06:28:24 pm »

After an rwall has been struck by a meteor, or damaged by a bomb, it can be deconstructed with a single use of a wrench.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »

The only problem with meteors is that they don't stop. Make it a wave or two and your fine.

Pick Yer Poison

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: May 09, 2010, 10:54:05 pm »

After an rwall has been struck by a meteor, or damaged by a bomb, it can be deconstructed with a single use of a wrench.

So? The point of my argument is that they tear through EVERYTHING. With the new atmos system, anything that's hit by a meteor becomes a near-instant death zone.

Pick Yer Poison

Pathos

« Reply #12173 on: May 09, 2010, 10:59:10 pm »

So? The point of my argument is that they tear through EVERYTHING. With the new atmos system, anything that's hit by a meteor becomes a near-instant death zone.

See, I do think this is how it should be what it is. What I don't enjoy is being slaughtered by explosive decompression. Throw me out into space and give me a few bruises, sure, but don't murder me outright with it.

NOTE: I've only been killed once or twice through decompression. The trick is to stand to the side of the door you're opening, but that's not possible with airlocks.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: May 09, 2010, 11:03:50 pm »

In a world where everybody opens the door from the side in case decompression kills them...
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pathos

« Reply #12175 on: May 09, 2010, 11:09:24 pm »

Oh, and it doesn't work as well if you're on the pressurised half of the door. You'll hopefully just be stuck against the wall, though, instead of being painfully flung into space. I think there should be a "grip" command that you can use with a free hand when next to a wall to stop getting dragged off. If something crashes into you, it should dislodge you.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: May 09, 2010, 11:32:00 pm »

Honestly, to balance this atmos problem out we need to do one of three things. One, we nerf EVERY thing (bombs, meteors the works), two make the decompresion less super fast or three make an automated system that locks down the area with blast doors, cut supply of O2 to area, blast doors "inside" windows and then have someone (even a new job) fix the lockdown problems, tell the AI (or a command console) thats areas ok, and it then pumps in the stuff. For example, in the future if a station lost even one tile to space, the whole area would shut down until repaired by people with atmos gear fixes it (new enginer job that has access to "special" atmos gear that only works for protecting cold on adjustant tiles or something).   :D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: May 10, 2010, 12:16:49 am »

Or, since the decompression is not realistic, we make everything else realistic. Security should be tighter on toxins, maybe the AI should get a notice every time someone enters and exits toxins. Or maybe have a log that they can check.

Meteors....while it is realistic that they come in large numbers and having a space station caught in a meteor storm would spell it's doom, they are too destructive and maybe should be taken out all together. Or maybe have some sort of console that manages the space station's meteor defense/avoidance. Would make for an interesting traitor maneuver. Now all you need is an AI anti-measure...

Also more fire doors would be a good idea. Maybe there is a good space station design out there that we can copy?

Also, having the AI be able to zoom out and view the entire map at once would be nice, since the AI is suppose to be able to see through all cameras at once.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:47 am »

maybe the AI should get a notice every time someone enters and exits toxins.

There's a movement sensor, yes?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: May 10, 2010, 12:29:29 am »

We've blocked off leaks and tried to fix the atmosphere before after a decompression event took out the atmosphere on most of the station; It isn't feasible with the current map and the pipes working the way they are (at least the last time I played, which was a couple days ago). You simply cannot pump a significant amount of STUFF through the atmos pipes to do anything with.

Hell, I tried pumping plasma through them and releasing it out a single vent (at the maximum flow rate from the plasma storage chamber, and out the filter leading to the vent), and you couldn't even see it coming out.

I'm betting that if you wanted to repressurize the station to normal atmosphere levels after it all vents out you would probably have to drag every oxygen and nitrogen container out into the hallways and empty them on max flow, and all the "air" canisters, and empty all the siphons/scrubbers that have air in them, and then order a bunch more nitrogen from the supply shuttle. And then someone will just open another airlock and vent it all into space again. Woohoo. I don't think those automatic fire-doors would be terribly helpful either. If I know people, they'll go "FRAKKIN' FIREDOORS BLOCKING MY PATH" and crowbar them open, and promptly get thrown down the hall and into a wall. And then more firedoors will close off that section, and more people will come along and open them, and get thrown around and probably killed too. Oh, the Fun!

Might it be better to have some kind of "emergency forcefield" that holds the atmosphere in, but doesn't stop people or items from passing through it? I know atmosphere loss is cool and all, but it seems like more people die from explosive decompression than traitors nowadays. Although one wonders how many traitors are *causing* stationwide decompressions (I know I did that once at least, to convince everyone (without suggesting it) that a shuttle ride was a Good Thing). It's not like it's hard.

On meteor showers: You know, when meteor showers show up (they would be seen a good long time in advance), a real station would just change its orbit so as to not be in the way when they arrive. Unless someone on the staff was a TRAITOR and WANTED the station to get blasted by meteors, and shut off the meteor detection system or the like... (But in all likelihood CentCom would send a notification anyways, so...)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 950