Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: French Anti-piracy bill: Three strikes and you're banned from the internet  (Read 7927 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say it's a war between governments and pirates so much as it's a war between public lobby groups and the public. The pirates themselves don't care about all these actions and the government is as much a victim as regular people (if they don't do anything, they'd be seen as irresponsible and the US will put them on their naughty list).

The ones doing most of the real fighting are normal, non-pirates and the major lobby groups.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

No . . . the pirates are the ones stealing from companies.  The companies are the ones trying so hard to fight the pirates.  Governments don't step in until they are caught pirating, and only occasionally try to improve the method for catching them.  They don't do squat about preventing piracy (example: Securom [sp?])
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

There are these things called Lobby Groups.  They're spokesmen, to talk to lawmakers, to influence their decisions on passing laws and regulations.  It's a cycle-

Pirates do their pirating thing, theoretically (read probably) costing license companies money.
Companies, not wanting to lose money to pirates, have their spokesmen propose ideas or issues to lawmakers.
Government people, seeing the issue, propose laws and influence departmental practices.
Pirates find new ways to be pirates, 30 GOTO 10.

There's nothing conspiratorial or nefarious about this, it's just the way things work.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

And the government wouldn't do much without the companies' complaints.

But anyway, the point is, pirates pirate, companies push for tighter regulations, making it harder for honest people to get things in an honest way, making more pirates and causing them to find new ways to pirate.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

...And because companies don't get to make and enforce their own legal system, their method of fighting pirates is to convince the government to do so, usually by working harder at enforcing laws that already exist.

I'm not sure what you're actually arguing about here.  Who to blame?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

That pretty much falls under "companies push for tighter regulations".  I really wouldn't blame the government too much on this particular issue; it's really the pirates and corporations turning things to crap.
Just so I remember

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And while companies are trying so futilely to crack down on pirates, independent musicians (or game designers, for that matter) are giving away their product for free and asking for donations of you like it. Somehow I don't think this will end well for the major corporations.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

While I applaud the effort, it's not that great of a business model.  Yes, you can make a living wage on asking for donations.  You can hardly self-publish for any kind of audience that isn't online, you can't go on tour, and you hardly make enough money to do anything but live on.

If you're just in it for the artistry, more power to ya.  But no one ever made it as a rockstar on pocket change.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile

And the same goes for games. Mainstream commercial games like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Halo 3, or Fallout 3 require a massive amount of funding, employees, and effort. I seriously any of those games would have got off the ground on a donation-ware business model.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.

Need i remind you, that there exists a game called Dwarf Fortress? You don't really need any other games.

Now, on topic: Honestly, Piracy is a fact of life. Like the Flu. You can try to crack down on it, but it'll just find ways around you.

SecuROM, for example. The Legit to Pirated ratio for Spore was 1:1. Yes, believe it or not, Pirates can still crack even the most sophisticated copy protections and put up the game files for download. And there's no doubt Pirated copies of Dawn of War 2 which don't require Internet access to install. And that's another thing that game developers don't seem to get, is that SOME OF US ONLY HAVE 56k! But that's another story...

Ahh... I rant sometimes...

Actually, quick OT question: In the event i get Broadband, does DoW2 require internet access just for installation, or do you have to verify the game everytime you start it up, or something?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

Need i remind you, that there exists a game called Dwarf Fortress? You don't really need any other games.

Now, on topic: Honestly, Piracy is a fact of life. Like the Flu. You can try to crack down on it, but it'll just find ways around you.

SecuROM, for example. The Legit to Pirated ratio for Spore was 1:1. Yes, believe it or not, Pirates can still crack even the most sophisticated copy protections and put up the game files for download. And there's no doubt Pirated copies of Dawn of War 2 which don't require Internet access to install. And that's another thing that game developers don't seem to get, is that SOME OF US ONLY HAVE 56k! But that's another story...

Ahh... I rant sometimes...

Actually, quick OT question: In the event i get Broadband, does DoW2 require internet access just for installation, or do you have to verify the game everytime you start it up, or something?
I have a pirated version of DoW, if I remember rightly it went something along the lines of:
1. Download
2. Install
3. Crack
4. Make Offline Account
5. ???
6. Profit
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit for clarification: That's DoW 2
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:19:05 am by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I maintain that the big piracy war doesn't really even have an impact on casual pirates, the crackers have a neat habit of making their cracks pretty user-friendly.

The only times I've had trouble cracking things (Note that that does not mean downloading stuff, just cracking the oh-so sophisticated protection software. Pretty sure that's perfectly legal where I live.) is when it's a brand new painfully thorough program. Wait a month week few days and wahey! Someone'll have released an executable or mini-image or some new way of circumventing it. The legions of crackers will have an approach to base their cracks off and suddenly the rest of that generation of copy protection software will have zero day crack in easy to apply format.

Wait, this has nothing to do with the thread topic. Isn't it reasonably standard fare for determined little souls to spoof their IPs? Script kiddies with anarchic streaks could probably clog the French monitoring system with false positives in a matter of hours.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

This image made me lol in real life. Good one!  :D

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile

Argh what the hell, I didn't knew it passed! It was the final vote from the Senate who has pretty much no real power, but still!
DAMMIT.

Spoiler: France rules! (click to show/hide)

Also, I surrender to myself so I can get the spoils of victory! Muahahahahah...

Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5