Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Whats the worst Map setup you've started up on/can think of?  (Read 3062 times)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the worst Map setup you've started up on/can think of?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 11:21:58 am »

The Dwarf Heaven embark, found elsewhere on the forums.  The site itself is cool.. unfortunately, the embark point was placed within visual range of a Giant Cave Spider.   Between the webs and the venom, I don't think anyone actually got to the wagon to pick up a weapon...

(interestingly, the fortress name for that particular fiasco was "Spreadbuttocks"....)

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:16 pm »

Nano seaside fortress. With about 10 squares of land and the rest sea, aquifer immediately beneath the surface, and the sea filled with undead whale sharks. In a freezing glacier biome. without trees. without fresh water. With undead elephants. without hope.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »

wagon started out inbetween a river full of carp and other dangerous fish and also atleast 5 hippos and a volcano filled with imps.....it took less then 4 min for one of my dwarves to die from a hippo and after taht it i think the imps heard the screams and tey attacked.....i think some dwarfs tried to flee into the direction of the river....didn't work so good

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 12:53:57 pm »

Hmm....

Savage Evil(undead) nanofort on metamorphic rock with the top few layers as a saltwater aquifer - that would probably make it "rocky wastes" or something. No trees, no vegetation, no ore, no rock, no soil, difficult water, and hoards of skeletal camels and zombie giant desert scorpions. The problem with deserts is that you can farm in the sand, which gives you food and booze, from which you can trade for everything else.

Now I need to go find such a site and embark on it...
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 01:24:02 pm »

(interestingly, the fortress name for that particular fiasco was "Spreadbuttocks"....)

Such a name is just asking for a Goatse entrance...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 03:11:41 pm »

I think that goatse would be highly accurate to describe what that GCS did to my poor, virginal dorfs...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 04:53:15 pm »

Letīs not go there.

I would actually like some erupting vulkanīs.

Well for now iīd say a side where a magma pipe is placed at the same spot as a bottonless pit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 05:10:12 pm »

Not a fort embark, but I once started as PlayNow! human adventurer inside a hostile dark elf city that was built on top of a magma pipe. I had at least four bolts in me when I found the magma pipe, at which point a fire imp popped up and roasted me. It then proceeded to pick a fight with the dark elves, and then more of its buddies came up. I didn't get to see how it all went because it got dark.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 08:18:04 pm »

I once had a map that dropped a mountain on me upon embark. It was sheared off due to erosion or something.

Worst map? Treeless, sinister desert, 5z aquifer, orc mod + LL mod, no magma, open chasm (one of those that has the trogs spawn OUTSIDE the chasm, at surface level), in a 2x2. Hermit challenge.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 09:41:58 pm »

Well, the bottomless pit IS there, and it presents itself beautifully. It's just begging for one. Hell, make it a shrine devoted to goatse, by building around it, and sacrifice prisoners and nobles through it.

An execution method requires the victim to stare down the shrine before falling into the bottomless pit though. The image will be burned into their minds as they're falling into the abyss, realizing what it was that they've seen. Of course, we'll leave them there staring down for about a week before dropping them in. They can decide if they can't handle seeing it anymore and maybe off themselves instead of waiting for death.

There's a reason this execution method is done remotely by the dwarves.

Quick question though, is it possible for prisoners to hang on a restraint? You know, gallows style? Have them sitting on a single-tile bridge, while chained to a restraint, and drop the bridge below them, I mean. Because that could add to the trauma. Try to off yourself, and you're hanging off the edge still staring down it.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 04:32:15 pm »

Well, the bottomless pit IS there, and it presents itself beautifully. It's just begging for one. Hell, make it a shrine devoted to goatse, by building around it, and sacrifice prisoners and nobles through it.

.....and I have a new megaproject

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 05:31:28 pm »

I was mucking around with the worldgen settings, trying to get lots of caves, in a world which was as evil and volcanic as possible, when I came across a "great" starting location.

It was a 6x6 map, with a river, magma pipe, and a massive cave complex filled with an assortment of undead trolls, antmen, rats, etc...  and seven legendary zombie/skeletal giants.

The start point - right on top of 3 of said giants, with the other 4 nearby.   

Nobody got to pick up any equipment, one dwarf managed to run for a while before getting caught by a troll, and the three giants chasing him then proceeded to dismember him.

It was a grand way to not start a fortress :D

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 07:20:36 pm »

Once started on a map without magma, collapsed from magma withdrawal.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 07:32:42 pm »

A map with no river, aquifier, magma pipe, UG river/pool, and NO farmable soil...

good luck getting drinks...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 09:48:42 pm »

I got the bright idea to start on a major river with a magma pipe. It's a nice temperate region so I figured the water would freeze every winter right?

I get there and it's placed us in the dead center of the giant frozen river. Ok no problem, creates some cool ideas for the entrance... Then not 30 seconds in, the temperature rises cause it's spring and BAM the river thaws, dropping my dwarves and all their everything into the middle of the river where they all drown in moments.

The horses swam to safety.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3