Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Whats the worst Map setup you've started up on/can think of?  (Read 3065 times)

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Savage no tree desert, with a deep aquifer near the surface that stretches the entiere otherwise flat map. is the worst i can think of.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the worst Map setup you've started up on/can think of?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:04:50 pm »

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I dropped in right next to a chasm opening with packs of antmen and trogs.  Never got a chance to strike the earth, so layers and biomes never even became an issue.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:47:00 pm »

A glacier. Turns out Fahrenheit 20 degrees as a max temp. is a bad idea.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:20:57 pm »

You can easily make a map that's outright unsurvivable; the most trivial example I know of involves ensuring the temperature is so high that everything bursts into flames (or melts) as soon as you arrive.

The worst theoretically-survivable maps would generally involve plenty of hostile enemies, nowhere to hide, and no resources to work with. A treeless, aquifered, terrifying nano-desert/glacier fort would do that pretty well. Nano because the smaller the fort, the more dangerous wildlife becomes.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:04 pm »

My old site with the entire left side of the map has a 15 z-level sheer(and I mean completely sheer) drop into the ocean. It also had a volcano with sheer walls dropping 3 z-levels, and plenty of trees, and no aquaifer.

Why was it so bad?
Because my computer was too laggy to run this perfect map.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:58 pm »

Try embarking off of a sheer cliff, happened to me in one of the older 0.28 versions.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »

This is pretty bad too.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:24:12 am »

One of the worst embarks I ever had started my dwarves on the frozen surface of a major river that was about thirty something spaces wide. It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that the ice immediately began to melt because of the spring heat, the fact that the river was surrounded by four level high cliffs that extended halfway up and down the map in either direction, and the fact that the unfrozen portion of the river was inhabited by a page and a half of carp and longnose gar.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:55:39 am »

Ocean nanofort. If you don't get the bug that I did (where the waves don't work properly) then you race against time to dig into the cliff before all of your dorfs drown :)
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 07:33:35 am »

ive never really tried the glacier fort, however i do agree with chaos about the savage treeless aquifer desert. the only way you can make that worse is to have a riverside treeless aquifer savage desert. with no magma. and orcs. even if you survive, smelting ore is a horrible horrible nightmare.

as a random aside, do you get caves in aquifer zones, and if so, do they penetrate the aquifer allright?

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 07:40:52 am »

I never started at anywhere particularly harsh. During my first try of the Legendary Lands mod, I started near an open magma pipe which hae a flame maiden (flying things similar to a fire HFS) that kept shooting fireballs at any animals, caravans, invaders or whatever passing by. The results was that the grass part of the map would burn over every 1-2 months.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 07:44:52 am »

Flat desert area.
No wood.
No access to stone, the top two layers are only soil.
Aquifer two z-levels below the surface.
No magma.
No water.
Giant scorpions. One of whom is wielding a shoe.

I abandoned, reclaimed as a challenge, and abandoned again shortly after the first caravan came.

Edit: Chaos985 more or less described it.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 08:13:47 am »

My worst start was having my wagon placed about 5 tiles away from a stream filled with undead fish. Needless to say I was attacked instantly and there were no survivors.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:03:59 am »

A Savage no tree desert, with a deep aquifer near the surface that stretches the entire otherwise flat map. is the worst i can think of.

This, but with a saltwater aquifer.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 11:15:57 am »

My worst start was having my wagon placed about 5 tiles away from a stream filled with undead fish. Needless to say I was attacked instantly and there were no survivors.

Had a very similar experience.  Started next to an evil ocean, and before I could get a door made to hide inside a school of Undead Bluefin Tuna came and ate everyone.  Hilarious.

Also started next to an open magma pipe and had an imp set the world on fire instantly, killing everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 3