Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Books that annoy you.  (Read 9950 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Books that annoy you.
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 11:53:27 pm »

Nearly any fad book or book series written by wannabe authors.

IE: Harry Potter, Twilight, Eragon etc.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 12:03:29 am »

Anything by Ayn Rand.

ESPECIALLY Atlas Shrugged. The six-hundred page monologue (you think I'm exaggerating? find a copy of the book.) near the end is only a taste of the idiocy. I can't STAND the author's philosophy, and especially the hamfisted way she shoves it down the reader's throat. You know the main character's brother is the villain of the story because in the first conversation he says "There are things more important than money."

Anthem is the most readable of her tripe. Probably because it's the only thing she wrote with a coherent plot all the way through instead of breaking down into an attempt to force her uber-capitalism into the reader's head.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 05:09:11 am »

A part of me will never forgive Stephen King for killing Nick Andros. Not just killing him, but essentially disintegrating him!

:'(

I still like The Stand, but damn.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:11:10 am by bhelyer »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 05:25:51 am »

And anything by  Kurt Vonnegut.

Come on, surely not ANYTHING .. what was that book .. about tramalfadore (sp.)? That was highly enjoyable.

If not just for the name 'Montana Wildhack'.

I can't remember the name of the book ...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 06:35:15 am »

And anything by  Kurt Vonnegut.

Come on, surely not ANYTHING .. what was that book .. about tramalfadore (sp.)? That was highly enjoyable.

If not just for the name 'Montana Wildhack'.

I can't remember the name of the book ...

You're probably thinking of Slaughterhouse Five.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54:22 am »

On Vonnegut: I can't say I'm a huge fan, but there's nothing he's done that I've really hated. He's one of those types that everybody makes a big deal about, but I can't see why.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 03:29:35 pm »

Slaterhouse five and Sirens of Titans. both had the forth deminsional aliens.

In Sirens, all of human great accomplishment, was directed by aliens forces.. blah blah... It really annoyed me, and then the ending. Its shit.

His books annoy me.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 03:40:46 pm »

Anything the author of Ender's Game wrote after Ender's Game.

Seriously atrocious. Almost on par with the rape done to Frank Herbert's Dune after Frank passed away, but only worse because the original author is still living and putting out shit.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »

Anything the author of Ender's Game wrote after Ender's Game.

Seriously atrocious. Almost on par with the rape done to Frank Herbert's Dune after Frank passed away, but only worse because the original author is still living and putting out shit.

The thing that kills me is Orson Scott Card said that the Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide etc. stuff was his originally intended series and Ender's Game was just supposed to be a set up. And what's with the goddamn Portuguese?!
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 04:31:08 pm »

Lord of the Rings.
Everyone says, oh the detail, oh the epic nature of the tale. The most epic thing about the characters? How epicly (not a real world) bland they are. They act like they're in Victorian England. I was expecting some level of excitement and not the driest dialogue ever.
These days I pretty much read non-fiction.
In that realm, I was recently given a book called American Fascists I think, about crazy Christers. But here's the thing, when you start saying that an idea needs to be stamped out, you too are a fascist. Only got about 50 pages into that one.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 04:40:46 pm »

It's an interesting thought. How else does one deal with facisim? Ignoring it would be a good way, but what if it's actually a major problem?

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 04:56:17 pm »

The Jews were people too and they had a difficult time while Hitler was murdering them and so on? YOU DONT SAY.
this. I'm starting to dislike all those books about WWII. mainly because it's just the same old story after another. some Jewish kid gets kidnapped by Nazis gets sent to a concentration camp and everybody has a fun time. MEANWHILE you go back to playing resident evil 4 there's a lot more than just Jews getting slaughtered in WWII. for example: a book i read recently called "Someone Named Eva" is about a Czech girl who gets taken away from her home. not because she's Jewish, but because her appearance fits Hitler's standards for the "perfect human". so this girl gets sent to a special school in Poland where she gets re-educated into the Nazi philosophy, forbidden to use any language other than German, told her parents died in an allied air raid and is forced to do the Nazi salute every day for 2 years untill she is adopted by a German family. this was interesting because i had never even seen this touched upon before. but thats probably because if i remember correctly there were very little survivors of this, and thus very few witness acounts to go on.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 04:58:55 pm »

Wuthering Heights.  I hate that book with a passion.  Everyone is so horrible.  The entire book consisted of me hoping Heathcliffe would finally snap and just kill everyone.  But nothing ever happens.  It's just a bunch of pointless banter.  I will never read this book again, and vow to burn any copies I find.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 06:15:59 pm »

I liked Ender's Shadow, thank you very much.
Although it is just Ender's game by a different view point, so it may not count. I liked some of the other Bean books to (although the last one ends badly).

Also, I'd like to add the Awakening to the list of REALLY annoying books. It was required reading for me. Stay the hell away from anything by Kate Chopin, her books suck.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:09 pm »

I liked Ender's Shadow, thank you very much.

Yes. Ender's Shadow was almost as much fun as Ender's Game. The sequels to it were okay. Kinda meh.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8