Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Europa 1400 - The Guild (1)  (Read 7863 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Europa 1400 - The Guild (1)
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:58 pm »

Do we have a topic about this already?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_1400

Copy+Paste from wiki:
"Europa 1400: The Guild is a simulation game set in Europe from the year 1400 up to 1815. In The Guild it is the task of the player to establish their family's name and keep the dynasty alive for as long as possible. A player can choose from one of many historical cities - including Berlin or London. In the player's chosen city, he or she will start with their own chosen first business with a small sum of money and must build their business, their social standing and even their political rank. The Guild was followed by a sequel in 2006 called The Guild 2, a version of The Guild was made for the Nintendo DS in 2009."

I just got it, and it's awesome. Any tips, tricks, or builds you would like to share?
Warning: It's a very obscure German game. (And not even translated well to boot!)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Europa 1400 - The Guild (1)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:44:18 pm »

Sounds interesting. What do you mean by not well translated? Babel fish quality?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:54:28 pm »

I don't know about the DS version, but the PC one I got from GoG didn't suffer a poor translation. Infact, it was rather good though perhaps I have forgotten.

Fun game, actually. A bit repetitive at times, but very fun nonetheless.  I got married to the captain of the guard, and the pope caused her to go insane and lose her position, which I aimed to take. Geh heh heh.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:01:15 pm »

I remember playing Europa 1400 gold, is there any difference?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:02:42 pm »

I remember hearing about The Guild 2 a while back and being very intrigued, but I never got around to actually finding it.

If anyone has played both the first and second, which is the one to get? I'd assume the sequel would have more features and such, but sometimes sequels change base gameplay and/or remove features and/or add crippling bugs, so I'd rather not get burned.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:08:58 pm »

It might be my nostalgia googels but i think that the first one was better somehow.
But i never got any patches for the guild 2 so that might matter.
It was rather fun playing a corrupt priest, marry someone important and then getting another important person as mistress and get rid of everyone else.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:33:10 pm »

Most people seem to like the first one better for whatever reason. A sort of 'stupidification with unnecessary features tacked on', or something. Like Spore, but without the latter.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 06:49:05 pm »

Cool. I thought I was the only one who played this, but it seems not. I'm used to being the only guy in my dinky hometown playing what I perceive to be little-known games.

Hey, cool. It got a silver from the Wine AppDB. Maybe I should try to install it.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:09:35 pm »

;D I LOVE this game and ive never found anyone else who has even heard of it.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 11:30:00 pm »

There was a big gap between when I stopped playing the Guild I and started playing the Guild II, but I found I enjoyed the second one more (and I loved the first one). It was very buggy for a long time (which is par for the course from Jowood), but with all the patches and the first expansion, Pirates of the European Seas it is a lot of fun to play. There are some fairly substantial mods for it (Sovereign Edition and Back to the Roots) and a few promising ones in the works. From all I've read the second expansion, Venice, is full of bugs and no worth purchasing. The modding community make their mods for the first expansion.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 01:25:35 pm »

;D I LOVE this game and ive never found anyone else who has even heard of it.

It's an "ok" game...however it gets boring very quickly...but maybe it's just my personal problem with the game.  ::)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 03:27:42 pm »

I love this line, even with the huge amount of bugs. 1400 was a bit more interesting IMO, I liked the necromancy path. I started both PC games (1400 and II) in the pickpocket profession and basicly ride out the drama for 2 generations, allowing famlies kill each other and trying to bribe my way to passable rep with any enemies. After this I pick one promising child to make my assassin, he or she will spend their whole lives killing and torturing the weakest rivals, building up to the strongest, I try to live as long as possible with faust potions, and in 1400 make satanic pacts, I miss that feature in II. I ussually branch out to robber baron after pickpocketing is just about monopolized, after that guardsmen and run for offices.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 05:27:41 pm »

If anyone has played both the first and second, which is the one to get?

The sequel was much more of a relationship manager (a la Sims) rather than a medieval career simulator.  I enjoyed the first way more as I did not like investing so much time into relationships in the second. I spent a lot of time playing the first game.  Great stuff!
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 06:09:16 pm »

I have The Guild 2 and it is indeed fun, I've heard its quite fun online but I can't find my CD key so thats a bit out of the question.

Bit of micromanagement though.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 08:48:25 pm »

I reinstalled my copy and... Anyone knows how to run it windowed?

Been messing with the game.ini file for a while now and nothing seems to work.
Pages: [1] 2