Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 9442 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

I really wish I could buy and play this game, but IP blocking is getting in the way of that. I mean, seriously Bioware, just take my goddamn money! What was all that bullcrap about the Old Republic not being region-locked?

The main website for the game is even blocked. I need to use my VPN to check the forums about the IP block, unfortunately, any topics related get removed. What's up with that? :S

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2011, 11:57:06 pm »

I played the beta since the summer, and was thinking it was going to be a bit of a flop mmo.  However, now that i've played the released version, I think it is a really good game.

I've played my Bounty Hunter up to 25, and its a good time, My only complaint is the queue times on my server.

If you want to play empire, and you're willing to brave the wait you can find me on "The Fatman" as Nifo
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2011, 11:21:49 am »

Playing this game is better with friends, each as a different class.  You can think of the game early on as co-op instead of an MMO. 

On empire, 2 players can start together as the Sith Warrior/Inquisitor.  Addressing your Inquisitor friend as "slave" every time makes it even more hilarious. (You'll get the idea when you play Sith Inquisitor.)

Any good guy Jedi + flexible Smuggler makes for some good dialogue.

Of course, there are probably other fun combos which I have not personally experienced yet.  Seriously, you got a friend or 3... make it a point to do missions together, for the dialogue, plus, you can power through those random missions much faster in a group and don't need to LFG for heroics as much.

Its really a prime game for Role Players, even if you are not really a role player yourself it lends to that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2011, 09:09:23 am »

I bought the game finally off origins,

however I have an odd Graphic problem whereby every time I speak to an NPC it resets my graphics to LOW, the options still show as if they are all High however...
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2011, 10:06:05 am »

This is probably because you'll relate better to your character if they come with two arms, two legs and one head and not six movement tentacles, four manipulator tentacles, and 3 sensor stalks.
Beware its noxious secretions!
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2011, 10:12:26 am »

This is probably because you'll relate better to your character if they come with two arms, two legs and one head and not six movement tentacles, four manipulator tentacles, and 3 sensor stalks.
Beware its noxious secretions!

lol'd

On another note I just got this (I have an awesome friend buy it for me cause I am poor). I like it a lot and despite the occasional bugginess it is actually an amazingly well working and functional initial release...which for an MMO is a rarity.

I play as a darkside Republic Trooper (Vangaurd) named Pheva on Dark Saber
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:14:33 am by dennislp3 »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2011, 10:53:03 am »

http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/651

This comic pretty much expresses the gist I got from playing beta, shortly before cancelling my preorder.

As a single player game, it stands up quite nicely. But it just didn't seem to cut it as an MMO; the lack of fluid combat mechanics makes it feel like an old version of WoW coupled with knee high walls everywhere (making it just like any recent FPS, but minus the aiming. Click and push button, hope for good rolls.)

I dunno. Maybe a year of WoW burned me out on MMOs that feel too close to it (especially after playing Fallen Earth for a bit; that's a hell of a nice take on the genre) but my friends branding it as anything more than just another decent WoW clone with different IP makes me feel like the golden pixels of space elves are getting in their way of seeing it as such.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2011, 01:18:14 pm »

Anyone gotten to space combat yet? Its not as good as I expected..

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2011, 04:16:48 pm »

Man, I'm STILL looking for a good space MMO. I was looking at Jumpgate Evo, but that died due to lawsuit. Eve doesn't count since you don't actually pilot your ship.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »

Yea... you need to buy ship upgrades for it to not be... annoying.  I personally don't partake in it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2011, 02:16:13 am »

http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/651

I'd just like to say, pertaining to the 3rd panel in that comic, i've seen enough hentai to know where it's going.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2011, 04:40:00 am »

Actually, no. If the artist/tentacle tried, he'd get himself tied in a knot by any of the ladies. Poor tentacle!

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2011, 06:19:23 am »

Yea... you need to buy ship upgrades for it to not be... annoying.  I personally don't partake in it.
I miss Star wars galaxies :(
That game had the best space combat and trading system of any game ever. Well, maybe not space combat. Definitely trading though
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2011, 12:29:16 pm »

I miss Star wars galaxies :(
That game had the best space combat and trading system of any game ever. Well, maybe not space combat. Definitely trading though

This is true and I dont think it is nostalgia at all. You could build your own building, set up shopkeepers with  inventory in there, write a few scripts to how they behave, etc. SWG did a lot of things right, but not all. Jedis were so dumb.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]