Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 9441 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2010, 02:39:45 pm »

City of Heroes... Ultima Online... EVE....Hello?  The only one of those that makes notable use of instances is CoH and that's only in specific areas.  The vast majority of the game is in public areas.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:02 am »

My Grief with the game:

1. Bioware, how are you fucking going to create this 4000 year gap in timelines, then immediately change your game to look like it's taking place in a very slightly altered original trilogy?

2. You need to calm down on the Cutscenes, take a queue from Blizzard, at least they manage to have theirs make a little classy.

3. At least hint at what Revan or the Exile might be up to, lot of us played those charecters, we're a little curious.

My boner over the game:

1. Heh, Starwars.

2. Heh, Bioware.

3. You get your own, crewed startship? Mass Effect-esque dialogue trees? Oh baby.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2010, 01:45:05 am »

City of Heroes... Ultima Online... EVE....Hello?  The only one of those that makes notable use of instances is CoH and that's only in specific areas.  The vast majority of the game is in public areas.
And you're never seen 100+ boobies put together? You're missing out man.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2011, 04:14:39 am »

I have just been shown the beta over the weekend.

It is like KOTOR/Mass Effect.  The Dark Side... she has won me over.   
Female Sith Warrior, sexy british voice.
Bounty Hunter, missile knockdowns and jetpack Shoryuken.

The major turn off though is the hour glass shaped females and badly proportioned upper body of males. 

Mind you, I was and still am not a fan of the star wars universe, but I can appreciate it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2011, 04:43:34 am »

I was in beta a while back and I liked it well enough. Not rushing to get it at launch but I am a sucker for a bioware game and this feels like one, despite the WoW-ified combat the story stuff is exactly what you expect from them. YMMV.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2011, 09:42:46 am »

I tried it this weekend, and it's a mixed bag. The smuggler starting area is standard mmo stuff, not much really interesting. The voice acting is nice, but you get no customization for your character, so my guy didn't sound nearly as gruff as I would have expected from such a big guy. It didn't really feel like Starwars until the trip to Coruscant, which was pretty fun and atmospheric.

The dialogues range from cringe worthy to passable. I was seriously disappointed by the quality of the writing in general. It's really too bad, because the multiple-choice conversation are a nice change from wow-clones, and there are some real effects to your choices too. They also work pretty well in groups, where character will get to speak up one after another depending on a random roll(I assume it's random.). It doesn't seem like much, but you get to see what your squad mates looks like in detail, and what moral choice they make.

PvP was fun but chaotic, since I don't know what half of the other skills do. Can't really judge balance, but it felt like I had a chance versus everyone so not too bad, unless I was the OP one heh.

I didn't get to try out the space ships or crew skills, which seem like the biggest selling point for me.

I think I'll wait until others try out the end game before committing to purchasing it...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2011, 10:04:44 am »

Space battles seem to be on-rails shooting, you can still collide into obstacles if you dont' avoid em.  I've only watched my friend play a few low level missions though.

Crew Skills, is basically crafting.  You can send your buddies to do the crafting/gathering/stuffs in your place, while you  quest/pvp/whatever/watch paint dry/eat foods.

PvP, everyone is bumped up to level 50.  As a level 10 Sith Warrior, I did pretty decently I think, top 5 or so in damage and kill contribution... but, clearly, I have far less skills at my disposal compared to someone higher level.  My friend said that they balanced it so that even starting skills are still viable at end game.
And yea, agreed, don't know jack what skills everyone is using, but that is something you learn with actual pvp experience.  Which is fine with me.

Seriously Drakale, try the Dark side...  it is far more impressive, at least in my opinion.  In the ways of 'story' and character dialogue...  I am the sort that tends to like morally flexible options though...
Considering I watched my friend play a Jedi Knight, which did not impress me... at least in the dialogue trees.

Also, when SWtOR starts... it is going to be Dark Side heavy...  very heavy.  That is what I think anyways.

Oh yea... ALL character classes each have their own totally unique starting story/class missions/area.  So Smuggler start =/= Jedi Knight start.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »

Jedi Knight is so boring.

Consular seemed really good.

And WoW had about 4 cutscenes so I don't think they should take after their cutscenes, it's what makes the quests interesting and not just a wall of text.

I've preordered this anyway, can't wait.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

Pfft, forcer classes. I vastly prefer going in style, having put most of my playtime into Imperial Agent (Sniper specced) and Commando (who is literally commander shepard, even voiced by Jennifer Hale at her shepardy-est if you go female)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2011, 01:22:00 pm »

I played the stress-test all weekend. I'll probably buy the game and play it for a couple months, but not sure I'll stick around after that. No idea what end-game content is going to actually feel like.

I leveled a Sith Inquisitor up to the point I got a starship. Did not like the starting area for it that much, but the second area was not bad. LIGHTNING EVERYWERE is the playstyle. Went the Sorcerer route. Hated the first companion I got. Starship combat is on-rails (so far, at least) but looks very good. The ship interiors are large, not sure how much we can customize them. If at all. Might play this class For Serious in December. Female voice actor was very good.

Tried out a Smuggler/Gunslinger next. Discovered I hated the second area more than the first area, which was not that great either. I enjoyed the option to flirt with every attractive alien in the galaxy. First companion is alright. The cover system works alright, but it feels a little odd until you get used to it (and then it's still a bit odd). Voice reminded me of a cross between Mal (Firefly) and Han.

Tried Jedi Knight until level 11 or so, really didn't like the playstyle once I went Sentinel (dual-wielding lightsabers). Just wasn't for me. First companion is great. Lost interest kind of fast with it. Voice wasn't bad (male).

Trooper made it to 12ish before I packed it in for the night. First companion is alright. Playstyle is far different from the Smuggler (no cover is used, heh), lots of grenades and flaming bolts to shoot at people. Female voice actress is good. I went the Big Gun route with it, really not sure if I like it or not -- that might be because I just don't like Coruscant much.

General thoughts:

Dialog options are sometimes very nice. Some of the companions you get early on are great, others are terrible. I hate the Inquisitor's first companion, but I liked the Knight's first companion a lot.

The overall writing is all over the place. Sometimes good, often just okay, and sometimes quite bad. One important takeaway: replaying a storyline you've already done is not very fun. This is probably obvious, but I'm saying it anyway. Each faction is basically split at the beginning -- the force users start in one place, the non-force guys start in another. The main story is the only thing that's truly unique for each class, and it's generally a better/more interesting story.

I didn't do too much with crafting, but sending a spare companion off to gather materials or do a mission was kind of neat. You have to pay a sum of credits (at least for the skills my crew had) and send them off for a time, like 3 to 6 minutes (at first, anyway), then, if they succeed, they report back to you and hand over any goodies they've gotten. Crafting items works in much the same way -- pick an item you want made (assuming you've got the right resources to make it) and they'll build it for you over the course of a minute ore two. I hope they expand on this in the future.

Big problem I had: some of the larger cities take a LONG time to run around in. Before getting a mount, traveling around is a serious pain. There are Taxi air-cars that work exactly like WoW flight masters, though. Large city areas feel empty, even when hundreds of people are in them ... they're just too large to be running around on foot.

If you liked KOTOR, you'll probably like at least some of what you see here. It feels like KOTOR-as-an-MMO, with all the good and bad that entails.

No idea how well it'll work out playing and leveling with my wife. Guess I'll find out.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:00 pm »

Pfft, forcer classes. I vastly prefer going in style, having put most of my playtime into Imperial Agent (Sniper specced) and Commando (who is literally commander shepard, even voiced by Jennifer Hale at her shepardy-est if you go female)

I've actually just been playing some Trooper and loving the gameplay of that.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »

Anyone else disappointed that the playable races are essentially Human, Human but a different color, Human with horns, Human with a piece of metal glued to the face, or twi'lek? The body sizes aren't much better. You have gnome, a pole, Zeus the god of upper body strength, and on the verge of a heart attack fat.

I know comparing ToR to Galaxies is apples to oranges but a bunch of "meh" (In my opinion) voice work really isn't worth removing every unique race Galaxies had to offer. I still remember of stepping off the shuttle on Tatooine as a wookie and not speaking a lick of Galactic Basic.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2011, 03:55:34 am »

To be fair, most species in Star Wars are some varient of human with extra. Even races like wookies are human with lots of fur. This is probably because you'll relate better to your character if they come with two arms, two legs and one head and not six movement tentacles, four manipulator tentacles, and 3 sensor stalks.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »

Any b12 chaps on a US server?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2011, 12:50:07 pm »

Dark Reaper - PvP - West Coast, went in with friends.  Server is loaded at prime time though, since its one of the early servers... lo and behold, one of them got in early... and so that leads to the rest of us having to follow suit.

Fun Fact: Wait times on prime time last night was an hour - hour and a half.
The good news is, I'm East Coast and can get in before prime time...

Already hit level 21 as a Republic Scoundrel. 
Suppose she'll be my main, since all my friends are on the Republic side... and considering it, I do not hate her cause she is an outlaw and a scoundrel at heart, hilarious when playing with my do-gooder Jedi Knight friend...
(Over Skype)
Jedi Knight: "Why do I even associate with you?!"
Smuggler: "Think of it as community service or something."
Jedi Knight: *Sigh*

First flashpoint... (This one is in-game responses.)
Jedi Knight/Other Players: "We'll stop them!"
Smuggler: "Hey, can we just talk this out?"

Playing missions together to one-up each other in our replies is more fun then it should be... (Over Skype)
Smuggler: "Damn you, why did you not take the payment?!"

Seriously, Smugglers and Bounty Hunters should be able to work for both sides of the war... they are mercenaries... and I've managed to undermine Republic interests with many of my dealings as a Smuggler...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7