Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 9446 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 06:40:35 am »

Yes.  The point is I haven't ever seen more even close to 100 female characters in one place.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Pathos

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 09:43:33 am »

YouTube Combat Vid

Doesn't look like anything new. Combat doesn't even look very fluid.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:30 am »

YouTube Combat Vid

Doesn't look like anything new. Combat doesn't even look very fluid.

Hey look, its the same video I posted a page ago. :P

I've yet to hear them mention this game without harping on about "OMFG ITS GOT FULL VOICE! FULL VOICEFULLVOICEFOLLVUICE!"

Am I the only person who doesn't really give a shit? i mean, it's an mmo. Most people I know don't even read quest text anyway.

Pathos

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2010, 10:16:49 am »

Hey look, its the same video I posted a page ago. :P

Hush, ninja bitch.

I've yet to hear them mention this game without harping on about "OMFG ITS GOT FULL VOICE! FULL VOICEFULLVOICEFOLLVUICE!"

Am I the only person who doesn't really give a shit? i mean, it's an mmo. Most people I know don't even read quest text anyway.

I was considering making a thread about it. "Would Baldur's Gate / Planescape Torment have been considerably better games with full voice acting?" Actually, I just might.

That guy really pissed me off, "IT HAS CHANGED FACE OF RPGS FOR ME"

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:24 am »

Well according to what seems to be mass appeal, that trailer is the height of badassness.  I'm not sure how being pants on head retarded suddenly become so badass, and discussion does not seem to be yielding any answers...
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2010, 11:57:28 am »

I'd be much more impressed if they had some sort of system or idea to make the music not get repetetive. Obviously no easy task, but that would just make it all the more impressive.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 12:03:23 pm »

Am I misunderstand the video, or am I expected to believe that the Sith now used Mechs? :-\

EDIT: Wait, no, it appears that the Sith uses Power Armor...POWER ARMOR? SITH? BUT-WHA-HUH?

EDIT2: Let me explain. In that video, the Sith are bringing out these huge robots, that walk around killing stuff. These robots appear to stay alive more than the actual Sith warriors with Force Powers and come out very powerful. They might look cool...but, er, it just doesn't feel right, you know?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:08:42 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pathos

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »

Well according to what seems to be mass appeal, that trailer is the height of badassness.  I'm not sure how being pants on head retarded suddenly become so badass, and discussion does not seem to be yielding any answers...

Because killing yourself for a Jedi is cool. Even if it does get you scarred and she kamehamehaaaaas him (why didn't she do that straight out?) for a kill steal.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 12:16:59 pm »

Am I misunderstand the video, or am I expected to believe that the Sith now used Mechs? :-\

EDIT: Wait, no, it appears that the Sith uses Power Armor...POWER ARMOR? SITH? BUT-WHA-HUH?

EDIT2: Let me explain. In that video, the Sith are bringing out these huge robots, that walk around killing stuff. These robots appear to stay alive more than the actual Sith warriors with Force Powers and come out very powerful. They might look cool...but, er, it just doesn't feel right, you know?

That's not a Sith. That's a Breach Droid specifically constructed to blow shit up and take a lot of punishment. The Sith themselves are more agile. If you go to the video list of the guy that posted that video you linked, there's a Multiplayer Demo one. In that demo you'll notice that a Sith Lieutenant, who only wields a vibroblade, manages to kick the ass of the Jedi Knight in the group. The Breach Droid didn't want to go down, but the Lieutenant was the one really dishing out pain.

So yeah, that demo convinced me this game will be "OK". I can't tell if it'll be great as of yet, but it's shaping up to be the best MMO as far as catering to my tastes goes.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »

It's more that the sith have designed these giant killbots, which then can be taunted into attacking one lone trooper. Who can take all the punishment the killbot can deal out while standing out in the open and not moving. Meanwhile the jedi of the team isn't interested in the giant kill bot because he has to spend half the fight fighting one imperial because that dude has a vibrokinfe.

Also the second jedi of the team doesn't really like fighting, so just heals people from afar with... force medic powers? Oh yeah I remember those from the film.  ::)

I wonder what the films would be like if they applied the rules of this mmo to them. "oh no, anakin slayed all the younglings! Don't worry, force medic powers ACTIVATE!"

Shit it's boba fett. Hit him with a dot chewie, ill disparage his mother so he only shoots at me, but it's ok, i have stam buffs so it'll take a good 10 minutes of concentrated fire to kill me."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »

Gameplay before logic. And according to the commentary that dude with the knife was the most dangerous guy in the room. If you pay close attention to the Knight's health bar in the video I mentioned, he turns out to be totally right. And besides, if everyone could take cover then the Smuggler would be the worst class in the game. If it makes you feel better the Consular had to keep the Trooper alive so his standing-in-openness didn't get him killed.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Pathos

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2010, 12:30:25 pm »

It does make me laugh how they're making out they've got rid of tanks and that, though, or somehow revolutionised it.

"YES THAT GUY IS TANKING AT RANGE MAN THIS GAME IS SO WHACKY."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2010, 12:36:25 pm »

The guy's an idiot. I could have gone up there and done his job twice as good as him. The game, regardless of his interruptions, looks fantastic.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2010, 01:21:31 pm »

The guy's an idiot. I could have gone up there and done his job twice as good as him. The game, regardless of his interruptions, looks fantastic.

I couldn't disagree more if I went to contrary university and got a degree in discordancy. :P But to each his own I suppose.

Lines like "if everyone could take cover then the smuggler would be pointless" are the sort of thing that makes me really hate this game. If you can't design a ranged-combat system where everyone can take cover, then don't bother.

Gameplay before logic lore only goes so far. Especially when the gameplay is generic cookie-cutter MMO stuff and doesn't really bring anything new besides "FULLLLLLLL VOIIIIIIIIICE" and singler player-ness.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2010, 02:34:05 pm »

Yes.  The point is I haven't ever seen more even close to 100 female characters in one place.
I have... Several times. I guess you've never played a non-instanced MMO like Anarchy online. There were parties with thousands of people.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7