Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 9466 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 01:55:36 pm »

Yeah, definatly agreeing with you there Chutney. I just checked gametrailers and saw the new video for this titled "multiplayer demo."

If it's an MMO you shouldn't have specific "multiplayer" aspects, it should all be multiplayer! Massively so!

Bonus points for describing tank/healer/dps mechanics like it's some new unique feature, and not something every MMO has had since everquest.  ::)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:20 pm »

I've been a member of the TOR forum, since this game got first announced.
I nerdraged and quit the forums for half a year, after they announced the ridiculous idea of jedi tanks/healers.
But now I'm back and lurking.

Well I'm going to play it, as the leveling/singleplayer experience looks promising and I want to find out what happened after KOTOR.
If the endgame content will be as bland as in WoW, I can still quit.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »

pre-written narrative over player-driven stuff

I've interested in this. Bioware has said that they will try and integrate a convincing storyline into an MMORPG. Then I heard rumors that the first mission would involve the players participating in the same quest everyone else is participating. Is that rumor true? Because if it is, I don't see how TOR would be ANY different from, say, Age of Conan?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 08:57:05 pm »

I've interested in this. Bioware has said that they will try and integrate a convincing storyline into an MMORPG. Then I heard rumors that the first mission would involve the players participating in the same quest everyone else is participating. Is that rumor true? Because if it is, I don't see how TOR would be ANY different from, say, Age of Conan?

Nope, that's false. There are some quests that each class can do, but those are non-MQ sidequests. The major stuff, each class has a unique storyline. Some classes share the same starting planet, yes, but they are different quests. Like the Trooper on Alderaan has to join a team of other Republic soldiers to drive off the Sith, while the Smuggler goes on a quest to track down the guy that stole their ship. Or something to that effect, I forget the specifics of those questlines.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 09:27:56 pm »

Nope, that's false. There are some quests that each class can do, but those are non-MQ sidequests. The major stuff, each class has a unique storyline. Some classes share the same starting planet, yes, but they are different quests. Like the Trooper on Alderaan has to join a team of other Republic soldiers to drive off the Sith, while the Smuggler goes on a quest to track down the guy that stole their ship. Or something to that effect, I forget the specifics of those questlines.

Er...that is Age of Conan. The only difference was that in AoC, you get a different starting quest-line for each class...and I believe that you get the same quests for each class later on, but I'm not sure.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 11:23:33 pm »

That was such a spartan trailer.

*facepalms*

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 12:34:15 am »

Er...that is Age of Conan. The only difference was that in AoC, you get a different starting quest-line for each class...and I believe that you get the same quests for each class later on, but I'm not sure.

The difference will be that unlike Age of Conan they seem to be aiming to actually finish this game and keep the quest lines going beyond the first area :P

Pathos

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 03:53:23 am »

The difference will be that unlike Age of Conan they seem to be aiming to actually finish this game and keep the quest lines going beyond the first area :P

inb4 we get "mini-expansions" (*cough*DLCISABADTERMINMMOSK?*cough*) every few weeks.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 03:59:32 am »

That doesn't matter one bit when you can't see jiggly boobs everywhere and girls selling sex buffs.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2010, 04:11:41 am »

That reminds me, and this is somewhat off topic, but why the heck isn't jiggle physics more popular?  I mean, we've had it since at least the Dreamcast and Dead or Alive 2 so with all this rampant graphics whorishness and objectification of women why does it seem that only Japanese games bother to give their unrealistically sized chest realistic physics?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2010, 04:16:46 am »

Cause when you have 200 jiggly boobs on the screen, your computer chugs up a byte.

Ie. Unless you have a physics card, it eats cpu like hell. Luckily, modern nvidia cards can use the GPU as a physics engine as well. But that also means, if the game eats GPU, it's one more thing eating it up. Of course, I rarely see any game that uses more than 25% of my GPU, even modern ones. Only crysis and Just cause 2 actually used 100% of it all the time. Not sure why either, they weren't exactly all that super compared with said 25% using games. Hell, Ass Creed 2 only uses 20% of it when I play.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2010, 05:06:24 am »

I can't think of any game that would have 100 female characters on screen at once.  They just aren't that common, especially not in games that would have a hundred characters on screen at once.  I suppose there are MMOGs but those aren't usually that graphics intensive anyway and still the chances of you getting 100 characters together at once are pretty slim, the chance of them all of them being female is near nonexistent.  The only games where this is really likely to happen at all is some fantasy strategy game, with scantily clad elf babes and even then they probably wouldn't be detailed enough to warrant breast physics.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:09 am »

the chance of them all of them being female is near nonexistent.
I'm guessing you've never played a MMORPG.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:47 am »

I've played UO, City of Heroes, Planetside, and EVE, the trial versions of WoW, EQ2, and SWG, the beta of Earth and Beyond Online and Motor City Online(Which I suppose wouldn't really count due to the lack of physical meeting places but it was a cool game.) and several free to play games.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 05:26:48 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Mc7bTG3-c&feature=related

The intended point should have been obvious though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7