Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 9476 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 04:46:33 pm »

If it was some company I had never heard of I would be very skeptical, but this is Bioware. Though not without error, they've done some consistently good and innovative games. The DM client in Neverwinter Nights has to be the most innovation I've ever seen in the genre, yet it was sadly under utilized.

So I am cautiously hopeful that it won't suck. I really wish they'd make a not-massively multiplayer online game. I always preferred playing in small servers of <100 people, or servers with just friends or folks I know, where we had total control over the game if we felt one part was abysmally boring and needed to be skipped, or if we wanted to go back and do something again we could.

I am totally with you on this concept. Imagine if they made a remake of the NWN1 concept with an easy to use and powerful DM client that you could use to run small game servers based on the Star Wars universe...i orgasm at the thought.

I find very few games these days to be original enough, player made worlds like we still see in NWN1 are some of the best times i have in games, even today.

But if that happens, then...anyone can create canon. LucasArts can very well be mortified!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 07:05:25 am »

!!!necro!!!  Has anyone seen this trailer?

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-cinematic-trailer

Short version: Holy shit...

Long version(explicit language warning):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:07:07 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:09 am »

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but that description makes it sound terrible. :P

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 07:42:35 am »

Well that's why it's spoilered.  Seriously have you seen it?  You can't really consider it properly without seeing the glorious eye candy.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 08:42:20 am »

I have only watched the first few seconds of the trailer, but I can already say that they put so much work in the art that the rest of the game can only suck. Also, the game's graphics are going to be of Half-Life level because they can't have much money left for developing after that trailer.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 09:00:39 am »

You should watch the rest.  It's actually sort of funny.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 09:40:12 am »

You should watch the rest.  It's actually sort of funny if you watch it after reading my captioning.
Fixed
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 10:23:46 am »

Well, I was thinking before reading my captioning.  It's really not that good in my opinion.  The captioning I mean.  If I really wanted to I could probably do better.  I was just doing a summary.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 10:26:36 am »

Well you never notice some of the things unless you read your captioning.And its great for the lols
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Pathos

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 10:38:17 am »

SW:TOR is going to suck. Just like Mass Effect sucked (repetitive, crappy shooting mechanics, great) and like Dragon Age sucked wasn't as good as Baldur's Gate. I've mentioned before that Bioware has massive amounts of derivation in their plotline, from their own games and other sources. eg. Dragon Age's world was pretty much the Prince of Nothing series' world with a cheesy plotline ripped from KotOR.

Also, lol @ kamehamehaaaaa in that video.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 11:02:56 am »

Just saw a gameplay trailer and you know I'm not really sure I like the direction they're going with this new expansion pack... World of Warcraft should stick to the past, lasers and space are just over doing it (ignoring the Draenei).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »

Good God, that video was thick enough to choke on.  And somehow, beyond all my problems with the direction (bum rushing a Sith lord, grenades that do jack, Jedi kamehameha power, and the utter narm of the whole thing), still my biggest question is, why not grow some balls and stop pretending that this is supposed to be another time period?  Just set the whole thing between episodes 3 and 4 and have done with it already.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 12:15:02 pm »

Just saw a gameplay trailer and you know I'm not really sure I like the direction they're going with this new expansion pack... World of Warcraft should stick to the past, lasers and space are just over doing it (ignoring the Draenei).

There's already an expansion pack? The real game hasn't even been released yet, right?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 12:36:01 pm »

There's already an expansion pack? The real game hasn't even been released yet, right?

I think he was making a joke about how much like WoW this game is. :P

I'm kind of torn now after E3. As much as I hate the direction they're taking this game (DPS/tank/healer jedis, pre-written narrative over player-driven stuff, etc) there are a few things about this that really intruige me. The way conversations work in groups looks awesome, you all vote on the response you want, and whichever gets the most votes is what happens. Theres a few little things like that which really interest me, but I'm not sure how well the rest of the game will work.

I think doing it class based instead of skill based is a really stupid move. I really don't think it works well with the star wars universe at all.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 12:48:06 pm »

I think he was making a joke about how much like WoW this game is. :P
that it was.
agreeing with fenrif: did they seriously need to include roles to it? I don't remember Luke healing, or troopers tanking. Like, okay: players taking the role they want is okay, but having the game enforce a system where you need certain roles is crazy. never leave town without a tank, healer, 3 damage dealers! Every group needs a storm trooper to stand there and somehow force the enemy to want to attack them instead of the dudes wearing dresses (easy targets?). Smugglers stand off to the side and take potshots at whoever, and none of the enemies catch on that they should probably deal with him?

I have an aggro system: Whoever is wearing the most vibrant/flamboyant clothes gets attacked the least, because the enemies believe they're poisonous. This is superior to the current "I called you names, now you HAVE to attack me" dominating every non-Guild Wars MMO (as far as I'm aware. If anybody knows of another one, let me know)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7