Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 9445 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 03:11:46 pm »

I am not a fan of KOTOR.  I don't think it's a bad game by any means, but yes it was functionally D&D with guns.  And the difference between guns and melee was pointless, because you could just run up to people with little fear.

I fail to see what was particularly innovative about it's plot or setting.  It consciously tried to incorporate as many elements of the original trilogy as it could, right down to storm troopers, a smartmouthed astromech, and a wookie sidekick.  The plot was functionally rote anti-fantasy-empire affair, which admittedly brings the whole thing full circle, Star Wars being Mythology In Space By Joseph Campbell after all.
Yeah, I didn't thing it was bad. There are many games that are worse out there. It just wasn't all people hype it to be, even today. I assume it's the influence of the star wars franchise. But just to not say I'm anti-star wars, I like the movies and enjoyed played every game of the jedi knight series.

Am I the only one who didn't really like Kotor? =/

Yes.

Well ok, permission granted to dislike any game you wish to dislike.
Well duh. But seems like Aqizzar didn't like it much either.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 02:49:52 am »

Kotor might not have been especially innovative, but star wars has never been that.  But Kotor did it's not very innovative things very well, making the storyline fun to follow even when it's rather predictible.  Great rpg's don't need amazingly creative storylines, they need to do their storylines well.  All of this will almost certainly be lost in an MMORPG.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 09:13:40 am »

I watched one of their development videos and they said they specifically chose the timeframe they are using because it's a time when there are thousands of Jedi/Sith, which basically means everyone can get a chance to have a lightsaber and force powers if they want to.

Great.  ::)

Though I guess it wouldn't be a Star Wars MMO if there weren't six thousand people running around trying to roleplay Darth Vader at the same time.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 10:23:06 am »

I watched one of their development videos and they said they specifically chose the timeframe they are using because it's a time when there are thousands of Jedi/Sith, which basically means everyone can get a chance to have a lightsaber and force powers if they want to.

But since it means Jedi and Sith are so common, they are more easier to kill, meaning so it all balanced out. The Ninja Rule after all. Also, Atton Rand.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:51 am »

Though I guess it wouldn't be a Star Wars MMO if there weren't six thousand people running around trying to roleplay Darth Vader at the same time.

Sad truth that no matter what, you're gonna get the OMGBADASS crowd wanting to be jedi; look at SW Galaxies, a game that started with no jedi, then made them a rare occurence, and then due to constant annoyance by people who wanted powers without the effort it became a starting class. At least in TOR era, there's a reason for the jedi, wherein Galaxies took place when there were about a dozen left in the entire galaxy

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:05 am »

Sad truth that no matter what, you're gonna get the OMGBADASS crowd wanting to be jedi; look at SW Galaxies, a game that started with no jedi, then made them a rare occurence, and then due to constant annoyance by people who wanted powers without the effort it became a starting class. At least in TOR era, there's a reason for the jedi, wherein Galaxies took place when there were about a dozen left in the entire galaxy

It seemed like there were about a dozen left at one point, but then all the canon started piling up and it seems like there's a force sensitive or two on every freaking world in the galaxy by now.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 11:39:17 am »

One thing I want to know.

Say, 2 years ago, I started a "Star Wars Galaxies" guild on Bay12Games forum. We would go to a Star Wars Galaxies server, and take over a city and declare ourselves the Drawven Empire, against both the Empire and the Rebellion, and seeking to promote the Drawven Ideal.

Would our little city be considered canon?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:24 pm »

One thing I want to know.

Say, 2 years ago, I started a "Star Wars Galaxies" guild on Bay12Games forum. We would go to a Star Wars Galaxies server, and take over a city and declare ourselves the Drawven Empire, against both the Empire and the Rebellion, and seeking to promote the Drawven Ideal.

Would our little city be considered canon?

It'd only be considered canon if some horribly written fanfiction was published with Lucas Books approval.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 01:00:16 pm »

On forums other then this one it has taken the place as the game with a fanclub that insists it will cause 95% of wow's population to switch to their game within a month of launch, taking over from Darkfail, Warhammer, Conan and some older ones i can't bother to remember. Given the patern, i'd say Bioware is going to blow this one, with the 3 games they are making at the same time.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.
FAQ: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

Is this code speak for "grind to level cap, get bored and quit", or does story-driven mean this game actually intends to do things different from current MMO's?

I'm sceptical by default to anything MMORPG, even if it is star wars.

That is a good question...and I don't know the answer. Let's hope that it won't be a grindfest. I have faith in Bioware.  ;)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 02:04:26 pm »

I agree that they should have just made it single-player, that's what they're good at. For multiplayer they could have used the NWN model which has worked pretty well, instead of going MMO.

MMO has some advantages though, so I can understand their choice. More or less piracy-free, easy to roll out new content, and the Hero Engine seems pretty schweet too. Not to mention the $$$, an MMO pulled off right is pretty much the same as achieving alchemy.

I think it's called "learning from experience". Everyone wants to play a jedi anyway so might as well let them and hope it works out.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »

I want to bump this because I believe that necroing is a Liberal tactic. *rimshot*

But I have a question: According to Sith propaganda, the Sith Empire was defeated, but the last Sith Emperor survived and hid in the Unknown Regions in order to build up his empire, before launching its war on the Republic and winning handily. I assume that this Sith Empire is actually the "True Sith" mentioned in TSL, but it could be wrong.

Whatever happened to Revan? Did Revan fight and lose against the Sith Empire? Did he form said Sith Empire in question, and is the "Sith Emperor" that waged war against the Republic? Did he take the Empire over? Nobody knows what happened to Revan once he entered the Unknown Regions...so...what?

Of course, I no longer care for the TOR storyline THAT much. I was interested in the True Sith, so finding out they attacked the Republic and won the war, at least long enough to form an empire before eventually collapsing...well, I guess I'm not interested in finding out what happens after the True Sith "wins". I'm that lazy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:39:54 pm by Servant Corps »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 10:36:19 pm »

From what I understand, there is ALWAYS a Sith master and a Sith apprentice in the galaxy. You can kill the current pair, but another set will spring up somewhere, and though they have no real power structure to build on, as the generations go on, it builds up. So Revan probably succeeded, and the new pair started work on a new empire.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 04:38:03 pm »

Bioware needed a new plot for their new MMORPG and they didn't want to risk doing anything truly creative, so they made the sith attack again.  That's all you really need to know. :P
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »

If it was some company I had never heard of I would be very skeptical, but this is Bioware. Though not without error, they've done some consistently good and innovative games. The DM client in Neverwinter Nights has to be the most innovation I've ever seen in the genre, yet it was sadly under utilized.

So I am cautiously hopeful that it won't suck. I really wish they'd make a not-massively multiplayer online game. I always preferred playing in small servers of <100 people, or servers with just friends or folks I know, where we had total control over the game if we felt one part was abysmally boring and needed to be skipped, or if we wanted to go back and do something again we could.

I am totally with you on this concept. Imagine if they made a remake of the NWN1 concept with an easy to use and powerful DM client that you could use to run small game servers based on the Star Wars universe...i orgasm at the thought.

I find very few games these days to be original enough, player made worlds like we still see in NWN1 are some of the best times i have in games, even today.

EDIT: oh and yes, I am commenting on an older part of a necro thread (kinda necro) with complete disregard to the current flow of the topic. Because i can.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:48:16 pm by ductape »
I got nothing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7