Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The entertainment value of rhesus  (Read 1190 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
The entertainment value of rhesus
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:57:12 pm »

Well, my current fortress (Angrymuffin) sees regular rhesus macaque raids, but I've set the doors to keep the little bugger outside.

The downside is that the elves are going to be annoyed now.  Why?  My Trade Depot is outside, and the latest rhesus raid headed straight for it.

Each rhesus grabbed a unit of GCS cloth (dyed, no less), and ran off.

I swear, if they're wearing GSC clothing the next time they show up, I'm abandoning this fortress.  I don't want to be responsible for spawning an intelligent race of thieving rhesus.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: The entertainment value of rhesus
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:06:10 pm »

Rhesus lack the trapavoid flag.  I'd suggest walling your trade depot in, with a trapped "hallway" entrance full of either cage traps or stonefalls.  (personally I prefer cages, because then you can butcher the thieving little bastiches. Rhesus pieces! mmmmmm!)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:09:40 pm »

I can butcher them anyway :P.  It's not a bad thing, though, since it's attacking a liaison that starts wars.  The elves will be whiny, but no harm done overall.  I just got a good lol out of it.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:27:11 pm »

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:40 pm »

Breed them, then butcher.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:42:11 pm »

You can have the best of both worlds without losing expensive stuff.

Set up some drawbridge situation for your TD, to seal it in when caravans are not expected.

Put a stockpile for a couple random items out where you want to attract the little bastards - individual bolts that didn't break, or the copper pick you started with - whatever. Something to attract their interest, but you won't feel if it's lost.

Proceed from there as you choose.

ZomBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:21:57 pm »

Wait a second.. you care about elves? I would cage a bunch of maqaques , then throw them together with the elves in a pit.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:25:52 pm »

Rhesus lack the trapavoid flag.  I'd suggest walling your trade depot in, with a trapped "hallway" entrance full of either cage traps or stonefalls.  (personally I prefer cages, because then you can butcher the thieving little bastiches. Rhesus pieces! mmmmmm!)

Be sure to keep the hallway 3-wide or human/dwarf wagons can't come through, and you simply won't get them greatly decreasing the stuff they bring.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:40:44 pm »

Now I want to mod them to be trainable... so I can fill big room over my trade depot with furious, armed monkeys, and drop them on unsuspecting tracers/immigrants.

MONKEY KNIFE FIGHT!

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:11:40 pm »

I drop my rhesus macaque down my goblin execution towers and let them rot, then collect the bones.
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:37 pm »

Sic the military on the buggers. Nothing like watching monkeys fly, propelled by a hammer, shedding limbs.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 11:00:51 pm »

Best way to kill these bloody guys off early, is to make a few wooden/bone crossbows with wooden/bone bolts.  Equip a few guys and BAM! A bit of training and a lot of dead monkeys.  Also woodcutters carry axes for more than just cutting down trees!