Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for a Freespace spiritual successor  (Read 4216 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Freespace spiritual successor
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:19:01 am »

But still.... I long for a modern commercial space combat sim, made to be piloted with a joystick not a controller. I guess there is just not enough market in that genre anymore.

X3 is pretty much the king of these types of Elite clones, me thinks.  i dont think the moding community is as big for it as for Freelancer (or am i thinking of Freespace?) but there are still a number of them out there.

The stock games ("reunion" and "terran conflict") are both pretty solid on their own, from what i understand.  I've only played reunion.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:18:52 pm »

X3 is pretty much the king of these types of Elite clones, me thinks.  i dont think the moding community is as big for it as for Freelancer (or am i thinking of Freespace?) but there are still a number of them out there.

I tried X3 (no expansion) and didn't like it. The universe felt bland and nothing fun ever happened. The solo campaign was beyond dull too(and buggy). The game permit you to become the owner of vast fleet and space stations, but it is pointless since there is no active invasions or anything exciting that ever happens(again I am talking about the original vanilla X3, this might have changed). It's not that i dislike a free environment, but too often thats synonymous with a static environment.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:25:48 pm »

really?  i'm pretty sure there are active invasions based on economic necessity, so factions go to war when their merchants start having to path through each other's space to reach resources they need.

i could be misunderstanding whats going on in the background, though.  most of the combat does seem to be based on randomly generated pirates on the major trade lanes through a sector, though.

you can certainly invade others once you build up an economy and a fleet. but thats just pushing things around in a static environment, as you say.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 12:51:01 pm »

Yeah, when you can fully predict how you will get attacked and why, it's not really exciting, there is no unknown. I did not recall actual faction invasion attacking my stations unless i provoked them first from vanilla X3, but maybe it's just my memory... I did not play the game very much at all, so my opinion of it might not be very informed.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 03:10:44 am »

X3, after all the mods, is an amazing game.

Never judge a game from it's vanilla state. That's a lesson I learned from Pirates of the Caribbean. After 6 years, the modding community is still active and has been updating a truly epic mod since the game was released.

Same goes for X3.

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 04:32:12 am »

Wish I'd had Sea Dogs 2...
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 06:43:38 am »

Pirates of the Caribbean + Build Mod = Sea Dogs 2  :P

Anyway, Age of Pirates 2 has been released in Europe.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 09:57:18 am »

Pirates of the Caribbean + Build Mod = Sea Dogs 2  :P

Anyway, Age of Pirates 2 has been released in Europe.

That sounds great, but I never got PotC so I can't play Sea Dogs 2...  I remember when they changed the name.  They didn't announce it or anything, it was just like, one day I went to visit the SD2 forums and the next day they were gone, replaced by that skeleton manning a ship's wheel.  It was so totally WTF, and I never did find out whether they explained it or not.  I kinda lost interest when it became clear what had happened.  I wonder though who was behind this.  Akella or Bethesda...

Edit: Hey, I read up on the build mod, and as far as I can tell, it makes it more like Pirates of the Carribean rather than Sea Dogs 2.  They're talking about adding Krakens...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:54:44 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 06:13:25 pm »

Yeah Blue Planet is a newer campaign and it uses some of most detailed models available. Consider using the voice synthesizer(needs the latest 3.6.10 build) however as BP isn't voice acted yet and is pretty story-heavy, the plot twists during mission and Microsoft Sam is always superior to pausing and reading as that breaks the flow. Also don't get discouraged by the difficulty as BP is one of the hardest campaigns out there. I personally repeated a certain(you'll know the one) mission something like 15 time before finally skipping it.

Also a sequel to Blue Planet is in the works, currently being tested so might be coming out soonish.

I finished it and I wasn't too trilled with it. The story get weird and throw you around a lot in a deux ex machina way that feel a little out of your hands. Plus the order vs chaos thing for Shivans seem a little cliche.

And as you said some missions are quite insane. It's one thing to demand good skills to complete a mission, but when you have to rely on computer AI for some mission critical event it end up being frustrating if they make you fail. Plus some mission I only succeeded once I knew exactly what was going to happen and where I should be BEFORE anything in the game hints you to it. Add the fact that you cannot complete a mission with partial success and it's quite annoying.

The new models and weapons are well done however and everything else is very professional.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 06:28:58 pm »

You're giving me flashbacks to TIE Fighter.  D:
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 09:15:14 am »

I second the Eternal Silence recommendation. I have fun with it now and then, but it gets repetitive real quick.

I played that one back when it was open beta.  Did they ever fix the utterly, horribly broken flamethrower imbalance issue?(Flamethrowers kill instantly, and the other team didn't have any sort of reasonable counter.  One game, my team got trapped in our spawn point, which had L-shaped exit corridors, when the other team just flooded the angles with fire and let us rot.)

My other complaint is that the ships had a maximum speed which was reached by holding down any accellerate button for about 2 seconds.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.
Pages: 1 [2]