Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a Freespace spiritual successor  (Read 4220 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Looking for a Freespace spiritual successor
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »

Is there any game in developpement right now in the style of freespace 1 or 2 ? I played those games to death and loved every seconds of it. It's true you dont have the freedom of other space game(it's linear and mission based), but the military feel and atmosphere was grand. I still remember the final fight of freespace 1 as one of my greatest gaming moments.

Freelancer came close, but it did not have the same feeling to it.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Freespace spiritual successor
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:40:05 pm »

There's the Freespace Source Code Project, who have maintained the actual Freespace 2 source code since volition opensourced it a few years ago. There's some good mods and total-conversions based on it (the babylon 5 one is particularly nice). Other than that, the space fighter sim genre pretty much died years ago.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:20:46 pm »

Whoa how could i not know about this, I'm going to give it a try. Hope there are some good fan made campaigns. *dust off his trusty Wingman Joystick*

But still.... I long for a modern commercial space combat sim, made to be piloted with a joystick not a controller. I guess there is just not enough market in that genre anymore.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:31:07 pm by Drakale »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:31:57 pm »

Have you tried "Babylon 5: I've found her"? It's not commercial(free!), it's not too modern(~2005?), it's linear and it's great.
http://ifh.babylonfive.ru/

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »

Have you tried "Babylon 5: I've found her"? It's not commercial(free!), it's not too modern(~2005?), it's linear and it's great.
http://ifh.babylonfive.ru/

It look decent. I must admit I am not a huge Babylon 5 fan, but if the story do not require deep knowledge of the babylon lore to be enjoyed I might try it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:52:54 pm »

It doesn't. All you need to know there are people with psychic abilities and the omegacorps(if I remember the name well) policy them.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:14:26 pm »

If you have a source game, I really advise Eternal Silence It's a multiplayer space mod, you can run around capships as a marine and pilot smallcraft very much like FS2, only with some extra features like cutting engines and directional thrusters. The spacefights are a lot like FS2. And the infantry combat is better than HL2 itself. It's really good.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:21:10 pm »

I second the Eternal Silence recommendation. I have fun with it now and then, but it gets repetitive real quick.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 03:24:26 pm »

I'm more looking for a single player story driven game, but i might give it a try. Is there a coop mode?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 03:29:34 pm »

I'm more looking for a single player story driven game, but i might give it a try. Is there a coop mode?
Technically. It's a coop vs game, team versus team. So yeah, you have to work with your team to beat the other team.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 05:09:58 pm »

Quote from: Drakale
Hope there are some good fan made campaigns.

Hell yeah there are.

I've played nowhere near them all but I can list the best of the best imho. Their quality might even surpass Volitions work. Some of these were even voice acted by the community.

Semi full list on the wiki: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/User-made_Campaigns_%28FS2%29

My recommendations:

Derelict(voice acted - top notch)

Blue Planet(voice acting in progress - widely considered one of the best mainly for its storyline and bombastic missions)

Silent Threat: Reborn(voice acted - a fan made remake of the addon to FS1 features entirely new missions and a plot that makes sense)

Procyon Insurgency(not voice acted -  probably the most "Freespace'y" feels like something Volition would make)

The newest release of the source code project supports modern graphic affects like normals and glowmaps. Many(most) of the old fs1 and 2 ships have been completely redone to high-poly models. Some of the campaigns feature entirely custom ships unseen in the originals.

New graphics showoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZuA9zvxs0Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhvPas5Bwk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:22:55 pm by Toady Two »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 09:11:37 am »

Thanks for the recomendations Toady Two, I wll try this as soon as possible. The new graphic effects look really great. Hard to believe the original game was made so long ago.

I tried Eternal Silence, and let's just say if i wanted to play a shooter I would just boot up TF2  ;D Weird cross between a space game and Battlefield 1942.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:42 am »

I just finished the Derelict campaign, and wow it's really good. At first the voice overs are amateurish, but in the later missions it's really top-notch. The whole scenario is also well thought out, and it even have some oh shit moments where the odds seem to stack against you.

Trying out Blue Planet next, the custom skins/models look especially good in this one.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:13:50 am »

Hm, I really loved Freespace, never played Freespace 2 though sadly.  I'd love ot try this out but my joystick is so old it doesn't even have the right plug for my computer anymore.  I guess I need to get a new one.  Speaking of Volition, Saint's Row 2 is really good.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 10:37:50 am »

I just finished the Derelict campaign, and wow it's really good. At first the voice overs are amateurish, but in the later missions it's really top-notch. The whole scenario is also well thought out, and it even have some oh shit moments where the odds seem to stack against you.

Trying out Blue Planet next, the custom skins/models look especially good in this one.

"I'll take that medal and duct tape it to my cockpit."

Yeah Blue Planet is a newer campaign and it uses some of most detailed models available. Consider using the voice synthesizer(needs the latest 3.6.10 build) however as BP isn't voice acted yet and is pretty story-heavy, the plot twists during mission and Microsoft Sam is always superior to pausing and reading as that breaks the flow. Also don't get discouraged by the difficulty as BP is one of the hardest campaigns out there. I personally repeated a certain(you'll know the one) mission something like 15 time before finally skipping it.

Also a sequel to Blue Planet is in the works, currently being tested so might be coming out soonish.
Pages: [1] 2