Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pottery  (Read 2945 times)

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pottery
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:45:52 am »

Would be nice to allow dwarves to craft containers of all types through a pottery skill, which would require clay (similar mechanics as sandbag) and water.

Craftable items should be barrels (think those huge large greek vases they used to contain oil and wine), buckets (like those vases on ropes egyptians used to irrigate their canals), bricks, bins and sarcophagi just to name a few things. If cooking gets redone then pots would be welcome there too I'd think.

enanozumbon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Pottery
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:51:15 am »

Great suggestion, good.  :)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:19:17 am »

Just for the sake of information, those greek vases are called amphora (pl. amphorae)

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:38:03 am »

They should be able to hold half the amount of that barrels can, for balance reasons.
This is -ing good wood!

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 09:10:15 am »

Just for the sake of information, those greek vases are called amphora (pl. amphorae)

Thanks, I couldn't find the name of them myself and thus couldn't find a pic either. :)

So here:

They should be able to hold half the amount of that barrels can, for balance reasons.
Disagreed, hauling clay and filling water barrels is more work than chopping down trees and is balanced. So for optimal production it must all be situated in a spot near both clay and water. If there is no river on the map then it's a limited resource as pools will have to refill as well.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 05:32:38 am »

Ah, didn't think about that.
This is -ing good wood!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 05:36:09 am »

This might help to take down sand as the #1 soil.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:18:38 am »

I thought this had been suggested before. Thatll teach me not to use search. Can you use clay and loam for pottery? Because it would be an effective way to use those two resources.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:39:11 am »

Would alcohol fermented in a wooden barrel be better?

Seems like a crime not to have ludicrously detailed booze production in a game about dwarves

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 11:15:27 am »

You guys are forgetting another type of clay that is in the game. Many of you may have heard of Kaolin pottery which is made from Kaolin clay. We have the mineral Kaolinite which is in fact, a clay mineral. So even if you don't have some form of clay, there is a chance you will find Kaolinite.

Anyways, I kind of like this idea, they could be used in metal poor areas or areas with no trees. Also, they could be engraved (has to be done while the clay is still soft) or painted on.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 03:01:58 pm »

Disagreed, hauling clay and filling water barrels is more work than chopping down trees and is balanced. So for optimal production it must all be situated in a spot near both clay and water. If there is no river on the map then it's a limited resource as pools will have to refill as well.

Pottery must be fired, presumably with charcoal so a pottery barrel require just as much wood to make as a wooden barrel plus the clay resource and the work of making the charcoal, making the pottery and firing the pottery (if these are treated as separate steps).  Thus an Amphora is at least twice the work input of a wooden barrel.  To be balanced the Amphora should be better then barrel and the most obvious thing that's better about it should be its durability, we never find wooden barrels from the ancient world because they all root away but Amphorae are exceedingly resilient and should have all the benefits of a metal Barrel like resistence to burrowing vermin and fire.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 01:55:52 am »

While we're on the subject of pottery...
Some other uses for it would be decoration (with an appropriate glaze. Perhaps even have a plant growing in a pot. I'm sure the Dwarves would be delighted to discover Plump Helmets growing right out of the Dining Room.), or burial (Urist McCremator!)... Maybe other things. I'm pretty sure pottery will show up in one way or another eventually, considering we've got clay. We'll just have to wait and see.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 02:00:20 am »

Pottery must be fired, presumably with charcoal so a pottery barrel require just as much wood to make as a wooden barrel plus the clay resource and the work of making the charcoal, making the pottery and firing the pottery (if these are treated as separate steps).  Thus an Amphora is at least twice the work input of a wooden barrel.  To be balanced the Amphora should be better then barrel and the most obvious thing that's better about it should be its durability, we never find wooden barrels from the ancient world because they all root away but Amphorae are exceedingly resilient and should have all the benefits of a metal Barrel like resistence to burrowing vermin and fire.

Yea, and we already have kilns, which are just used for making potash atm. It shouldn't be too hard to set them for pottery making as well.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 07:11:19 am »

We also have magma kilns which negates the cost of charcoal.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 07:58:54 am »

Pottery has been pretty thoroughly discussed already:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3752.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5437.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26330.0

And is also in the bloats:
# Bloat77, CLAY, MUD, ADOBE STUFF, (Future): Can use the kiln, have glazes, etc. Bricks.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:29:23 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: [1] 2