Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mist irrigation  (Read 1368 times)

derriesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mist irrigation
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:15:13 am »

Is it possible to create underground farmland with mist?

i noticed that the mist made some floortiles muddy when i set up a waterfall.

so my idea was to have some kind of grid of channels above my farm that would create mist,

under the farmland the water would flow off and i would never again be bothered with irrigation.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Mist irrigation
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:01:49 am »

You only need to irrigate once; floors will stay muddy forever (so long as they're not smoothed floors, which your dorfs will dilligently clean.)

derriesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:12:45 am »

good to know. i allways thought i would need to irrigate the floor every few seasons...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:16:21 am »

It's not the mist that's muddying your floors, it's the water that's creating the mist.

Be careful with falling water. Many forts have been destroyed because of it. You have been warned.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:18:19 am »

Ya, make sure to watch the rooms the water flows through at all times when the system is on... Otherwise you mights look down there some time and go "Hey, why is my farm in 7/7 water? Oh no. Why is the bottom half of my fort in 7/7 water!?!?"

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:05 pm »

You only need to irrigate once; floors will stay muddy forever (so long as they're not smoothed floors, which your dorfs will dilligently clean.)

wait, what?

I have some engraved stone near my fountain that NO ONE has ever cleaned.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:49:06 pm »

wait, what?

They probably have been afflicted with LDS (Lazy Dwarf Syndrome).

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:25:35 pm »

wait, what?

They probably have been afflicted with LDS (Lazy Dwarf Syndrome).
Leave cleaning enabled onyour broker next time, they'll get it.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 04:30:15 pm »

wait, what?

Are you sure the stones are muddy and you have someone with cleaning laber enabled?
if in doubt, use k over the stones.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »

Muddied engravings turn a very striking gold color. It's extremely obvious when they haven't been cleaned.

I've also had this experience. The actual labor of smoothing or engraving un-muddies the tiles, but I've never seen the mud cleaned by a dwarf manually.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 08:41:08 pm »

There were so many dwarves rushign the barraks in spiraltongs that I had to disable cleaning in every dwarf, lest the soldiers have to spend the entire sparing time prone under the press of dwarves cleaning up blood and mud splatters (had a swimming pool for them to dodge into)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 10:04:02 pm »

Dwarves clean up blood and puke readily, but not mud. It's odd. A fort of mine has had a muddy staircase for a decade thanks to me screwing up the levers on the elf drowner and turning on the pumps before shutting the floodgates.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 02:33:51 am »

In the new version dwarf won't clean up mud.  Since that's where you can place your farm.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 04:03:15 am »

My Dwarves run head over heels to clean up mud on smoothed surfaces. It's annoying, they'll cancel just about any job they have (including 'throw the Ledgendary Orc Warlord into the gladiator pit' and just leaving him there, in the middle of the fort...) that it's actually really annoying sometimes.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 04:23:34 am »

There were so many dwarves rushign the barraks in spiraltongs that I had to disable cleaning in every dwarf, lest the soldiers have to spend the entire sparing time prone under the press of dwarves cleaning up blood and mud splatters (had a swimming pool for them to dodge into)

Makes the tiles "Light" next time ;) An above ground barracks (but with a roof so it's "inside") will never be cleaned, as blood, vomit and such will disappear with the season change.