Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Model United Nations Security Council==Sign Ups! (And North Korea Crisis!)  (Read 13889 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

The PRC would, of course, also welcome the presence of our neighbors of the Russian Federation.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile

DPRK, and why should Japan be excluded from talks? We have as much stake in a peaceful resolution as anyone else.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed. Japan deserves to be included.

I'm busy now, or I would write more. :<

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

((I'm now Mexico.))

Mexico
The representative from Mexico strongly disagrees with the sentiment that nuclear proliferation is a regional concern.  The government of Mexico strongly maintains the policy that nuclear proliferation is a threat to all people worldwide.  This alarming event is already being felt across the world and could have disastrous consequences towards millions.  The U.N. should recognize that nuclear proliferation is a global affair and support the efforts of it's members who are best able to resolve this issue.  Therefore we propose:

3A: Resolved: Preventing nuclear proliferation is a matter of global urgency which all nations of the world have an interest in.

4A: The U.N. Security Council urges the continuation of six party talks

5A: The U.N. Security Council urges the DPRK to re-enter the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty as part of a framework for peaceful nuclear development and normalization of relations.
5B: The U.N. Security Council urges the U.S. to revisit the 1994 Accord as part of a framework for nuclear disarmament.

The Mexican government feels that proposals 1 and 2 are counter productive and opposes these measures.

Recognizing the effectiveness of sanctions undertaken in 2006, the security council should encourage the same measures be considered again.  These measures have a proven track record of success.  We urge that all neighbors of the DPRK give these sanctions their full support ((translation: that's you, China!)) as they have proven the most successful means of discouraging nuclear proliferation in the past.

6A:  Encouraging the neighbors of the DPRK to swiftly agree to an immediate freezing of DPRK finances and a cessation of all trade excluding humanitarian supplies.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile

Further sanctions will accomplish extremely little. Sadly, your plan follows the failed policy of it's predecessors. I was chosen by the Prime Minister to represent Britain, and I don't think following failed policy is a shining example of foreign policy by any standard.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Mexico's implied insult to the People's Republic of China will not be taken lightly. We shall disregard his input until we receive a formal public apology.

((There you go. :P))
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:01:36 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Mexico's insult to the People's Republic of China will not be taken lightly. We shall disregard his input until we receive a formal public apology.

((I put stuff in double parenthesis if it is out of character.  I put that in there because it's not something that would be bluntly stated, but everyone would read between the lines, given the history of the 2006 sanctions.  In 2006, China sat on the fence for a few months before deciding to freeze North Korea accounts.  This action by the Chinese was quickly followed by North Korea agreeing to new talks.))

Further sanctions will accomplish extremely little. Sadly, your plan follows the failed policy of it's predecessors. I was chosen by the Prime Minister to represent Britain, and I don't think following failed policy is a shining example of foreign policy by any standard.

I strongly disagree.  The 2006 sanctions were very successful and paved the way for the first negotiations in 12 years.  Clearly similar measures should be quickly undertaken.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:25:25 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Zasit Alebath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jedvagenij.blog.hr

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya oposes proposition 6A as that would possibly ruin what's left of DPRK's economy, and have a much larger impact on civilians, then would be desireable.

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya proposes:

7A. Nuclear weapon proliferation, but allowing every country to use nuclear energy in peaceful purposes. And yes, that includes the Islamic republic of Iran
7B. Economic help for DPRK people.
I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, the PRC must oppose the pro-proliferation 7A.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile

Uganda opposes propositions 1, 2 and 7A. It has no opinion on the other propositions save 4A, which it supports.

Uganda once again publically condemns North Korea:

"The Ugandan government fully understands and supports the North Korean space effort and their efforts to explore space. We are reasonable. We understand. However, if North Korea wishes to avoid repercussions, it must remain more open about it's launches, provide full launch information to the UNSC, and give us their personal assurance they are not attempting to create any sort of tactical short range nuclear weapon.

"In addition, North Korea does not exist in a vaccum. This is a multipolar situation. It does not merely involve the US and North Korea. Uganda will fight hard to ensure that this situation is not resolved in the back channel.

"Uganda strongly urges North Korea to prove that it has nothing to hide in regards to it's rocket program, and severely condemns it's attempts at nuclear weapons. Weapons of mass destruction are NOT the answer in ANY case. This is a worldwide constant. North Korea is not being treated specially. ANY nation with suspicious rocket weapons would be asked the same.

"Uganda also reminds North Korea that having a nuclear weapons program _increases_ the chance that military actions against North Korea will take place. It is not a deterrent. It is a causus belli. This is not a threat, merely a reminder.

"As a final note, however, Uganda commends the North Korean government for establishing contact with the UNSC, and strongly hopes to work with the North Koreans towards a peaceful solution."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:29:16 am by Jetman123 »
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile

((sorry for being so late, I had some problems with my net. All good now.))

Russian Federation supports proposition 7B and is prepared to fund it. We would also like to state that besides economic help, the UNSC should work towards improving their economy besides merely supporting it. Russia also supports proposition 7B about spreading nuclear weapons globaly to more nations. We believe this would lessen the pressure in diplomacy, as any of the nuclear weaponry bearing nation poses a threat, and with it, a diplomacy penalty, to the nations not having nuclear weapons. We believe this will improve global diplomacy, as the nations with nuclear weapons will not be able to threat other nations so efficiently.

Ahem. As the representative of Uganda stated, North Korea should be more open towards all and any major space launches and tests. We urge North Korea to present a proof that what they're launching are really space exploring rockets and satelites, not some nuclear ballistic missles.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current Drafts:

Draft 1 (Little mentioned it, but I didn't see who actually proposed it)
1A. Diplomatically attempt to reason or force North Korea to terminate it's nuclear program
1B. Diplomatically attempt to reason or force North Korea to allow UN inspectors access to it's nuclear plants.
0 Sponsors, 0 Signatories

Draft 2 (Proposed by Great Britian)
2A. Force North Korea to allow emigration to South Korea
2B. After all emigrants have been allowed to flee, the UN Security Council will impose an international blockade on North Korea.

Draft 3 (Proposed by Mexico)
3A: Resolved: Preventing nuclear proliferation is a matter of global urgency which all nations of the world have an interest in.

Draft 4 (Proposed by Mexico)
4A: The U.N. Security Council urges the continuation of six party talks
1 Sponsor, 0 Signatories
(Uganda)

Draft 5 (Proposed by Mexico)
5A: The U.N. Security Council urges the DPRK to re-enter the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty as part of a framework for peaceful nuclear development and normalization of relations.
5B: The U.N. Security Council urges the U.S. to revisit the 1994 Accord as part of a framework for nuclear disarmament.

Draft 6 (Proposed by Mexico)
6A:  Encouraging the neighbors of the DPRK to swiftly agree to an immediate freezing of DPRK finances and a cessation of all trade excluding humanitarian supplies.

Draft 7 (Proposed by Libya)
7A. Nuclear weapon proliferation, but allowing every country to use nuclear energy in peaceful purposes. And yes, that includes the Islamic republic of Iran
7B. Economic help for DPRK people.
1 Sponsor (I am assuming that Russia also supports 7A about spreading nuclear weapons globally), 0 Signatories
(Russia)

I'm assuming that each of the numbered clauses represent a seperate draft. I have seen people support certain clauses in each draft.

To get a Draft promoted to a Resolution, you must get 4 Sponsors and 3 Signatories to sign upon a Draft. Sponsors support the resolution, while Signatories may not support the resolution but merely want the resolution to be discussed. Then, the UNSC must pass a "Consider a Resolution", which requires a majority vote.

Then the Resolution can be considered as normal. You can also seek to amend a draft as well...and if all the sponsors for the original amendment sign up to sponsor the amendment, then the amendment get passed without a vote.

I have attempted to determine if you are sponsoring a resolution if you state your support for it. If I have made a mistake, please alert me so that I may update this list of drafts.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Crotia's supports Drafts 6 and 3-it seems we must force North Korea to act rationally.

We must put a halt to this madness! Are they so willing are they to pretend to be defiant heroes in the face of evil they would plunge the region into chaos? Their actions show that this crisis was created for no other reason than to prop up a dying regime. Perhaps more manufactured enemies would take your peoples minds off their empty stomachs?

Surely even China can agree, North Korea is a failed state. Are not the thousands of refugees that stream into your border annually proof enough? We understand your need to flew your muscle to Washington, but do not let petty political games get in the way of progress.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Proposition 7 needs to be clarified before this body should even think of considering it.

Part A appears to be pursuant of the same goals as the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty, which the Islamic Republic of Iran has already signed and ratified.  The NNPT clearly establishes the right of all nations to develop peaceful nuclear energy technologies.  The peaceful power generation technologies promoted by the NNPT are being used by 27 nations operating more then 350 such plants.  These light water reactors do not allow for weaponization and have risen to provide 30% of nuclear power generation since the adoption of the NNPT in the 90s while the number of nuclear weapons worldwide has declined.  The security council should continue to promote this peaceful accord on nuclear power.  A policy which would undermine this crucial document is clearly unacceptable.

Part B appears to undermine the economic sanctions this body has imposed on the DPRK.  This body has acknowledged that plight of the North Korean people is a matter of grave concern.  However economic assistance to the North Korean regime has not resulted in improvements for the North Korean people.  Therefore this body should continue it's current policy of allowing only humanitarian aid of food, fertilizer and heating oil.  If six party or two party talks offer an agreement for nuclear disarmament, economic aid should be agreed to as was in the 1994 accord.  However economic aid without an agreement to disarm is completely unacceptable.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile

1 Sponsor (I am assuming that Russia also supports 7A about spreading nuclear weapons globally), 0 Signatories
(Russia)

Russia also supports proposition 7B about spreading nuclear weapons globaly to more nations.

Ahh yes, sorry. I mistyped 7B again instead of 7A
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9