Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Model United Nations Security Council==Sign Ups! (And North Korea Crisis!)  (Read 13880 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not so sure how many people care about international politics (:() , but Bay12Court is doing quite well, representing Mock Trials, so maybe a Model United Nations might work better.

The Model United Nations is a very simulation of the real United Nations we know and love. People roleplay as Nations and seek to advance their own interest. It is good to do research on your country's position on world issues, so that you can better advance them, of course.

I can be the "President/Moderator" for this game. Here are the list of members on this year's Security Council.

Permenant Security Council Members (All has Veto Power)
*China---Pandarsenic
*France---Strife26
*Russian Federation--BigFatDwarf
*United Kingdom---Little
*United States--inaluct

Non-Permenat Security Council Members:
Austria
Japan---Emperor_Johnatan
Uganda---Jetman123
Burkina Faso---Aqizzar
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya---Zasit Alebath
Viet Nam
Costa Rica
Mexico---mainiac
Croatia--Dwarmin
Turkey

Pick whatever you want. I don't think we'll get 15 people to play though, in that case, I'll adjust the amount of people we need to be what we need. If we have more than 15 people, we can turn the security council into a General Assembly though.

The rules are semi-simple.
*There are "Agenda topics" by which the UN Security Council can focus on, altough I will be lienant on what the topics are about. After talking to each other about the issues, you can write a Proposal that will seek to resolve the Agenda topic. There will need to be 4 people Sponsoring the Resolution, and 3 people Signatories. Sponsors support the resolution in its entirty, Signatories do not need to support the resolution but want to have the UN consider it. Once you get 4 Sponsors and 3 Signatories, it becomes a "Proposed Resolution".
*A Proposed Resolution can be brought up for consideration if someone motions to "Consider a Resolution". I will give some time for people to debate the motion. A majority is needed for the motion to pass, and the Resolution to be Considered.
*There are are a couple of motions that can be done to Proposed Resolutions that are being considered...
---You can "Amend the Resolution", changing the text of the resolution. A majority is needed for the motion to pass, amending the Resolution. If all the Sponsors of the original Proposed Resolution are Sponsors of the Amendment, the Amendment gets passed without any vote.
---You can "Divide the Question", dividing the resolution into sections to be voted on separately before voting on the final resolution. Dividing the Question requires a majority vote.
---You can vote close debate, preventing anyone from amending or dividing the Question. Closing debate requires a majority vote. The Proposed Resolution gets into the voting procedure, where it needs the support of 2/3rds of the Security Council (and no Vetos from the Permenant Security Council members) for it to pass.
---You can vote to "Adopt by Consensus" the Draft Resolution, bypassing regular voting procedures if everyone supports the proposal. It requires the support of all security council members.
---You can vote to "Table The Issue", setting aside the proposed resolution without a final vote. This requires a 2/3rd majority vote.

Hopefully, this is a simplified version of the MUN Security Council rules. There may be other complications that may arise, but we'll deal with them later, I hope. There are also "Presidental Statements", which are adopted by consenus, but are weaker than that of resolutions, which are technically binding on all UN members.

Some Guides to Help Play:
*How To Write a UN Resolution
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:04:50 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Model United Nations Security Council==Sign Ups!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:22:21 am »

If it gets started, ill sign up as *rolls dice* Croatia

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:13:25 pm »

Bay 12 Court? More like doing quite incoherent.

Anyway, can I be the United States?

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:38:18 pm »

Well then, I'd sign up as Russia Federation and diplomaticaly persuade everyone to further Russia's interests.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Zasit Alebath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jedvagenij.blog.hr
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:19:48 pm »

Well i wanted Croatia, but i will then have

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya ... always had sympathy for colonel Gadaffi :)
I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:48:37 pm »

Woohoo. 4 People signed up already. OP updated with countries claimed. Keep on coming, I'll come up with three agenda topics you can talk about, so you can do research on what your country's beliefs concering this agenda.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 02:49:50 pm »

Awww, I wanted Russia. I'll take Germany, then.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 02:51:47 pm »

Well, um, Germany isn't on the Security Council now.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 02:59:58 pm »

MAKE IT ON THE SECURITY COUNCIL NOW
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 03:01:59 pm »

However, Burkina Faso is on the security council.  Lolwut?

I'm callin' Burkina Faso.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 03:12:52 pm »

Whoa, what?

Fuck.

I was thinking "Well, looks like they don't have Burkina Faso on here, so I'll go for the United States."

Anyway, we still need a lot of people in here.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 03:27:54 pm »

However, Burkina Faso is on the security council.  Lolwut?

Ten other members are elected by the General Assembly for two-year terms starting on 1 January, with five replaced each year. The members are chosen by regional groups and confirmed by the United Nations General Assembly. The African bloc chooses three members; the Latin America and the Caribbean, Asian, and Western European and Others blocs choose two members each; and the Eastern European bloc chooses one member. Also, one of these members is an Arab country, alternately from the Asian or African bloc.[8]

There was one open African bloc seat, so the African bloc chosen Burkina Faso to fill that seat.

Germany was last on the Security Council in 2003-2004. I'm not sure how I can put Germany on the Security Council now, though I guess you could pick Austria, because it's right next to Germany.

According to Wikipedia, there is an alliance between the G4 (Brazil, Germany, India and Japan) with the expressed goal of "supporting each other’s bid for permanent seats on the United Nations Security Council". However, there is a larger alliance, the "Uniting for Consensus", with 40 members, who are opposed to the goals of the G4, so I don't see how that can be feasibly possible.

EDIT: I got a better idea. Kick Austria out, let Germany onto the Security Council. Um, would the current players who already sign up agree to this?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:35:33 pm by Servant Corps »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »

Dibs on China.

I don't approve of altering the country list from the real-life list. :|
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:45:24 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 03:48:52 pm »

Dibs on UK

The issue we're discussing could be a North Korean invasion of South Korea.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9