Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power...  (Read 960 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Power...
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

Ho hum.

I have a hankering to build a little project: a noble execution chamber which consists of a lever, a door linked to the lever, a floor hatch linked to the lever, and a little magma chamber above the room. Problem is, I'm having trouble figuring out how to get power to the pump. The magma is deep inside my fort, it's deep underground, the brook is far away, and, worse of all: it's a 20 wind map.

What options do I have? Is the perpetual power plant my only option?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Power...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:02:07 pm »

dig a line from the magma to where you want it and have the chamber under that. you will need to install the hatch first. have a drain so you can reuse the room
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:17:17 pm »

all doors and mechanisms need to be magma-safe, lever too. you can use iron or glass for floodgate and door. green glass pumps work great. you need 5 magma-safe mechanisms at a minimum.

an 'easy' alternate? lever is a lure, use a locking hatch on the stairs out on the level above, and have a miner dig the last channel spot to let magma into the room :)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:21:16 pm »

I'd recommend making a waterwheel farm at the brook and stringing up a lot of axles to carry it to your fortress. Sure, it's a large-scale project, but if you wanted things to be easy you'd be playing something else, right?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:55:15 pm »

Eh, true. I guess I'll go with that... Bye-bye, nobles!

Also, Xenon, this is to be a resetable noble execution chamber. I'm planning a 3x3 room with the sides channeled out, save a ledge in the middle with the lever on it. It's linked to the magma hatch and the door.

Also, I'm only doing to dump enough magma to set the noble on fire. Just a tiny bit. And let him slowly burn. ;D

A second lever OUTSIDE the chamber closes the hatches and opens the door after the magma drains out.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:02:47 pm »

You can't both open and close things with the same lever.  It doesn't work that way.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 01:08:31 am »

Unfortunately...
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 01:31:36 am »

Then I'll use another floor hatch to seal him in!
Code: [Select]
.o.
.c.

Where c is the hatch, and o is the lever built on a wall from the level below!

Erm... question: does magma flow diagonally?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:52:02 am »

Yes it does.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 03:07:58 am »

You can't both open and close things with the same lever.

Yes you can.

Use a drawbridge in place of one of the doors.  When a level is closed, the door is closed and the drawbridge is "down", meaning the passage it covers is open.  When the level is open, the door opens and the drawbridge raises, closing the passage.

Bridge will have to be of bauxite, but if you can build mechanisms you can do that.