Never give up, NEVER SURRENDER

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OCD  (Read 1343 times)

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OCD
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:15:29 pm »

So? How OCD are you? Tell me your amusing tales!

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OCD
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:22:57 pm »

i sometimes quit a fortress when a goblin bowman manages to kill an ultra super dwarf with adamantine armor with a single arrow despite me drastically lowering the damage of arrows/bolts before world gen.

really, its like 10 damage or lower, but they still insta-gib legendary wrestlers with the best armor possible....

also sometimes if my embark site lied to me and it wasn't even remotely what it should have been (such as a flat embark area that turns out to be quite hilly, or i include a brook/river in 3 tiles of the embark area to only see a tiny water bend on the edge of the map)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:27:41 pm »

You forgot an option or two:

I restart/start anew when I get bored or OCD settled in.

You know, being OCD on OCD. Can't get too obsessive on obsession, or could you?

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:02:54 pm »

You forgot an option or two:

I restart/start anew when I get bored or OCD settled in.

You know, being OCD on OCD. Can't get too obsessive on obsession, or could you?
* Worldwaker checks that option

Also, I start with three miners so I don't have the problem of dead starting miner.

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:00:50 pm »

On the item is an image of the human Huxley. Huxley is sitting at a desk tearing his hair out and abandoning his fortress. The artwork relates to the realization of the human Huxley that his fortress' asymmetry cannot be remedied in Computerroom in the early spring of 2009.
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:04:40 pm »

I only abandon after I get bored.  Going to try self destruction next time.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:25:35 pm »

I outright delete all my saves quite often, but only if my mods all failed somehow.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 10:46:30 pm »

I only abandon due to not being able to bring myself to clean up the mess, or not being able to face the lowered FPS.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 10:51:11 pm »

I've started on this really silly project.

Create the best fortress possible before your settlement crumbles to an end.  You are not allowed to create food or booze.  When the final dwarf dies/goes insane, reclaim the site, and continue building.

So far, I've death-marched about 150 dwarves into creating a gigantic hall, every tile smoothed and engraved.

I think the floor tiles are cemented with their tears.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 11:01:28 pm »

Now that I'm running at nigh lightspeed with 40d11, I'm totally thrown by the timing of things.  I need to designate and plan for longer periods without unpausing, because my first fort in that version got mugged by a bunch of elves.  (Who were only a problem because they had bows, and we had crossbows without bolts).  For great justice, I decided to go down with the fort, and ordered my miner to breach the pipe.

As the top layer of magma quickly relieved itself of any potential energy, the remaining indoor forces huddled just out of reach of the now barely approaching magma.  Though trapped with food and booze, they still sought out the fresh air, and one by one they all got mighty toasty (even when they only lit their feet on fire in 1/7 magma).  Eventually it was one unhappy dwarf, alternating between tantrums and holding meeting with the little hill he was sitting on (literally no idea what that was about), and two dwarfesses locked up in the cellars, alternating between electing themselves as expedition leader and ordering parties to be held.

So, no, I'm not really OCD.  I tend to be orderly when I'm not given any detail to play with, because, face it, when you are given the equivalent of a giant solid rock to bore through, you ARE going to make a subterranean Borg cube.  I'm very eager to play with the underground in the next version.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 02:35:21 am »

I'm very eager to play with the underground in the next version.

To what does this refer?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 06:29:35 am »

I think in April Toady's project was to enhance underground features.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 07:19:45 am »

Main reason: Getting bored.

koofle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 07:40:00 am »

Oh blood god, now I have this stuck in my head >.>
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 09:41:59 am »

Generally, I do that if I find that the aquifer I wanted to use as my water source also prevents me from digging even one tile down. Since I have the orc mod installed, without a way to go underground OR Defend myself (what, with WOODEN bolts?!?) I might as well just paint archery targets on my dwarves and wait for their occupation to change to "Legendary Pincushion".
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.
Pages: [1] 2