Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Talk about bad timing  (Read 722 times)

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Talk about bad timing
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »

This fortress I'm currently playing, Zaludmistêm, "Futureportal" (RNG!) seems to be the final resting place of a number of dwarves that have the worst timing ever and are also terrible parents.

Firstly, a peasant got into a mood, claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop, and sat there muttering about stacks of cloth which we didn't have. Then, she gave birth to her baby, after which she went into a berzerker rage. I'd love to tell you she went and killed her own kin but my axedwarves were sparring across the hall so she didn't get the chance :D.

Secondly, whilst building a little death trap (a flooding maze), my weaponsmith walled himself into the water drainage room (where I intend for the water to spread out and evaporize) by standing on the wrong side of the floodgate he was building.
By the time I noticed this, he'd already gone hungry. A little later I discovered that "he" was in fact a "she" because, she too, had given birth, inside their claustrophobic little hallway.
My mechanics responsible for linking up the floodgate to the lever decided that it was too daunting a task to do on an empty stomach, and went for some tasty *Plump Helmet Biscuits* first.
I'm not yet sure if she's going to die in there, but man... This fortress is going to have some traumatized teens in a couple of years :(

Anyone else have stories of dwarves exhibiting bad timing?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 07:53:44 pm by GoneWacko »
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about bad timing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:58:16 pm »

well this was with a community fort I was helping with that has long since died. I'm building the forge complex for my dwarves and before it even begins one of the metalsmiths decides he has to get into a strange mood. there isn't even a forge or anything like that so he sits there and even when a forge is completed he just sits there. then he goes berserk in the dining room kills a donkey and then gets himself killed
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

The Orange Mage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about bad timing
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:00:55 pm »

well this was with a community fort I was helping with that has long since died. I'm building the forge complex for my dwarves and before it even begins one of the metalsmiths decides he has to get into a strange mood. there isn't even a forge or anything like that so he sits there and even when a forge is completed he just sits there. then he goes berserk in the dining room kills a donkey and then gets himself killed

Unfortunately a moody metal-related dwarf will randomly choose between a normal forge and a magma forge as the workshop they want. If one doesn't get him to go, build the other.