Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF in my living room (TV and game controller)  (Read 3550 times)

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
DF in my living room (TV and game controller)
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:33:16 pm »

I just got me a new HD tv, and it has a PC video input.
So I tried hooking it up with my laptop and running DF on it.
It looks pretty cool, except that the 16x16 tileset is a bit hard to see from couch distance.
I had to setup my video so that the primary screen display is the HD tv, because DF was giving fullscreen mode errors otherwise. So my laptop screen is the secondary one.
I setup the "ini.txt" to a fullscreen resolution of 1360 x 768, which is the maximum that my video card and tv allow, and set the grid size to 85 x 48.

I was wondering if I could make a bigger tileset, but considering DF's minimum of 80 in X and my maximum resolution, I calculated that the tile could only 17 of width, which isn't much of an improvement. I could do something like a 17x24 tileset, but I think I would get annoyed by the stretched-out display.

Now I'm thinking of making a little app that would make it possible to play DF using an USB game controller, which would be perfect for playing while relaxing on the couch.
It would probably be something that sends virtual keybord inputs to the laptop. I could make it so I can select keys from a sort of wheel controlled by the analog thumbstick, and make it so that it adapts the key selection according to what menu is active in DF. I'm still not sure how to synch the system with DF that way. Maybe by loading the "interface.txt" and generate the menu structure out of it.

Let me know if you have ideas or suggestions about that game controller thing.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:52:33 pm by Redhades »

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
Re: DF in my living room (TV and game controller)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:38:49 pm »

I have to say, that's pretty damn cool.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 06:42:46 pm »

Dang.  That's just . . . no words can describe just how awesome that is (except the pharse: "No words can describe" . . .).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:02:44 pm »

Why not just get a wireless keyboard, instead of trying to map all the keys to buttons?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:13:30 am »

Why not just get a wireless keyboard, instead of trying to map all the keys to buttons?

Wireless keyboard is your best bet, amigo.

Get us some pics once you get the fortress running on that monster monitor.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 02:59:34 am »

I do have a wireless keyboard. But it's so damn cumbersome, not much less then holding the laptop itself. It just can't compare to the lightness and comfort of game controller.
I'm using it with the PC in my room now, and if I use it in the living room, then I don't have any to replace it with.
Plus the wireless receiver is a bitch to unplug from behind my desk. I wouldn't want to keep plugging/unplugging it all the time whenever I alternate from my laptop in the living room and the PC in my room.

Also, I was looking some project to apply my programing skills. Doing a game controller app for DF seems to me like a proper challenge, and fun thing to share with other DF players.  ;)

My HD tv is not much of a monster really. It's just a 26 inch Bravia from Sony.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:06:05 am by Redhades »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:47:47 am »

I was contemplating purchasing a 52 in, thought that'd be amazing to play DF on.

As for control aspects... the hot keys would disappear. You'd be stuck scrolling every where to select something, you could still have a shift button, but hot keying buildings wouldn't be possibly on a controller form.

Enter, Shift, Space, Esc, A key for going down Z levels and up. I at least never see my self using more...

Wait you can't scroll the main menu... You might be stuck with a keyboard...

Maybe like a scroller thing on the "joystick" could make that possible. Where it'd have a-z on it and a button to activate that button, that's about as compact as your getting. A small wireless keyboard is your best bet, I prefer wired...

Anywho, best of luck with it all dude.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 07:39:59 am »

Head to Home Depot and buy a few hundred small water valves and switches.  Connect a beer keg (by the couch) to a pressure manifold, and then run the plastic tubing over to your wireless keyboard.  Now move the valves around until they're in the shape of a game controller covered in switches.  For example, you'll want a single switch that runs the up arrow and the minus key and the slash key, with a solenoid-powered "shifter" that reads the memory to detect which menu is up.  Once you've got this complex but straightforward arrangement built, you're ready to go.

Pump up the keg to full power, release some beer into the system, and then use the valve-and-switch system as a controller.  Vented (run-off) beer should be captured in a large pilsener glass and consumed, as re-insertion into the keg is impractical and will slow down gameplay.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:32 am »

Red, I think you may have thought of the perfect way to convert any PC game into a console game.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 11:49:39 am »

And any liver into a Cirrhosised hulk of scar tissue.

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 02:05:50 pm »

I have actually stumbled upon a joystick to keyboard program. It works by running in the background and replacing the joystick input with keyboard commands.  It also has macros, repeating key strokes, etc.  I just gotta search for it now...  Ah-ha, it is called JoytoKey!  http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

Now, if you actually want to program it yourself, you can disregard the above. and then, good luck.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 08:28:40 pm »

Head to Home Depot and buy a few hundred small water valves and switches.  Connect a beer keg (by the couch) to a pressure manifold, and then run the plastic tubing over to your wireless keyboard.  Now move the valves around until they're in the shape of a game controller covered in switches.  For example, you'll want a single switch that runs the up arrow and the minus key and the slash key, with a solenoid-powered "shifter" that reads the memory to detect which menu is up.  Once you've got this complex but straightforward arrangement built, you're ready to go.

Pump up the keg to full power, release some beer into the system, and then use the valve-and-switch system as a controller.  Vented (run-off) beer should be captured in a large pilsener glass and consumed, as re-insertion into the keg is impractical and will slow down gameplay.

This is appropriately dwarven. I approve.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »

This is appropriately dwarven. I approve.

Beer powered DF is the purest form of DF.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:11:51 pm »

We have discovered the true dwarven way. Time to close the forums.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:10:04 pm »

Pages: [1] 2