Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Rotting Remains  (Read 589 times)

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with Rotting Remains
« on: May 09, 2009, 04:56:16 pm »

IS there an option or something I need to enable to get my dwarves to remove garbage and rotting vermin from the fortress and put it in the refuse pile I made outside? The pile is empty and there are dead vermin from my cat and no one's moving it, even though everyone still has garbage hauling and cleaning skills enabled.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Rotting Remains
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »

Go to the <o>ptions, <r>efuse, then hit <k> to tell them to dump "Other," which includes rotting vermin remains and chunks

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:16:12 pm »

thanks

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:46:14 am »

It is kind of problematic to leave every labour enabled on everyone. It's better to have some dedicated waste-haulers so they can NOT be occupied by anything but other refuse-hauling jobs (which can also be a pain in the rear, when you are dumping bazilions of stones -_-)
I am not sure about the explanation, but i'll try.
Dwarfs don't chose their jobs, the jobs chose their dwarfs! That's a problem, when the dorf has something time-consuming to do. The job is marked as "will be done soon", but Urist is walking through 25z and 500 tiles to get THAT SOCK ASAP...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 03:12:44 am »

Nothing is more irritating than watching your miner walk back from that rich vein across the map to dump a cockroach, then walk back almost to the vein, then go on break, then walk almost back, then get a drink, then walk almost back, then come back to place a door...

Decide which dwarfs will "orbit" around your central area.  Your Grower, maybe your Brewer and Mechanic - whatever - they're your gophers.  Everyone else gets the gopher jobs turned off.

The trick is to have enough gophers.