Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: We really need to get a Dwarf Fortress Store up and running  (Read 16674 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: We really need to get a Dwarf Fortress Store up and running
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2009, 08:44:18 pm »

I would probably buy the right DF shirt but I'm not sure what it would look like.  Probably no pixel/ASCII art.  Or actual depictions of dwarves.  Or animals.  Yeah, that doesn't leave much I guess.  Maybe just a tastefully muted graphic of a pick with the logo "Strike the Earth" or something.

This kept bugging me and I was bored, so:

It's just a crappy mockup and I'm about the farthest thing from a graphic designer.  I still think the basic idea is decent though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:51:01 pm by Footkerchief »

tzler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2009, 09:58:03 pm »

I would probably buy the right DF shirt but I'm not sure what it would look like.  Probably no pixel/ASCII art.  Or actual depictions of dwarves.  Or animals.  Yeah, that doesn't leave much I guess.  Maybe just a tastefully muted graphic of a pick with the logo "Strike the Earth" or something.

This kept bugging me and I was bored, so:

It's just a crappy mockup and I'm about the farthest thing from a graphic designer.  I still think the basic idea is decent though.

Pardon my language but,
Very fucking nice!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2009, 01:36:30 am »

I can appreciate why a store would be unappealing.

One site that I frequent does an annual t-shirt purchase. He sets up with one of the usual tshirt vendors, puts out a call for orders, gets the run size and that's it. Just one design, pick the size, and there may be a choice of shirt colors at most. If you miss it you need to wait until next year where there is a different design. It really maximizes the revenue relative to the time sink and he brings in a decent chunk of money with it. The limited opportunity seems to get people to open their wallet and he gets a lot of repeat buyers a year later.

Just a thought.

JeebusSez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2009, 11:49:26 am »

I'm going to echo Martin's sentiments.

I have a friend who used to run an online shirt store and usually did a limited run of two or three screenprinted t-shirt designs; she'd cycle into new designs every three or four months, and by the end of the year she had a small back catalogue people could order from, and whatever was sold out was gone unless she did a second run.

If everyone settles on a design I could try to talk her into getting all the equipment out again or even borrow it. Barring that, screenprinting supplies are fairly cheap, with the only problematic (expensive) supply being shirts. Her prices were around 10 dollars/tee (and that's WITH a profit), so assuming enough people are interested, I'd sell them at-cost.

Also this gives me a good excuse to get into screenprinting (I've always wanted one).

For really basic designs (like the MAGMA shirt) that can easily be done with a stencil and some fabric paint.

I rather go for posters than T-shirts.

I can do posters too with screenprinting.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:55:42 am by JeebusSez »

Jakkarra

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2009, 01:42:06 pm »

if i had the materials, (green stuff) i could probably make some designs for little models, but as i can only sculpt, and not draw, id need to wait for some mats.

WATCH THIS SPACE.

(oh yeah, i can probably get a casting kit from recon in december, too)

love, jakkarra

tzler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2009, 09:06:57 pm »

I can appreciate why a store would be unappealing.

One site that I frequent does an annual t-shirt purchase. He sets up with one of the usual tshirt vendors, puts out a call for orders, gets the run size and that's it. Just one design, pick the size, and there may be a choice of shirt colors at most. If you miss it you need to wait until next year where there is a different design. It really maximizes the revenue relative to the time sink and he brings in a decent chunk of money with it. The limited opportunity seems to get people to open their wallet and he gets a lot of repeat buyers a year later.

Just a thought.

What if we were to do this, and bring the shirts to the DF Meetup? That way people can pay in cash, and it eliminates the hassle of having to ship it. It would also boost attendance to the meetup, probably.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2009, 07:30:38 am »

.. is it legal for me to make a T-shirt for myself?

Jakkarra

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2009, 09:54:46 am »

.. is it legal for me to make a T-shirt for myself?

yeah, its perfectly legal to make your own shirt, just make sure theres no copyrighted material on it thats not attributed to its original author. (in england, at least)

love, jakkarra

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2009, 11:13:30 am »

It is perfectly legal to make that shirt as long as you do not resell it or reproduce it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jakkarra

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2009, 11:14:29 am »

It is perfectly legal to make that shirt as long as you do not resell it or reproduce it.

yeah, forgot to add that, thanks yanlin.

love, jakkarra

shackleton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »

I'd go for a shirt with something like this on it. It's fairly simple, and captivates the spirit of DF pretty well. Ludicrously dangerous wildlife, dorfs, and miasma. 

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2009, 04:02:16 pm »

If you manage to find a cheap way to put this .gif into a t-shirt I think you'll be rich soon ;)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2009, 04:11:27 pm »

Animated T-Shirts are the new wave of technology.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2009, 10:12:49 pm »

We need a deep purple shirt with the full-screen dwarf graphic, and on the back it should have "please don't pull the lever" and a lever in the 'closed' state.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jakkarra

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2009, 03:58:23 pm »

Animated T-Shirts are the new wave of technology.

if this wasn't a troll or anything (ive seen your labels on other forums) you CAN get animated Tshirts. they would actually be quite god for this, however, they are generally only used with text, but i dont see how we cant get one (or tinker with one) to use either ACII or a graphics set thingie.

they also come as belts.

love, jakkarra
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9