Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Mods do you use for Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 2629 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What Mods do you use for Dwarf Fortress?
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:11:33 am »

This was probably already posted and discussed, but I'd rather a more recent view. One of the reasons I'm asking this is because I currently don't use any mods unless you count my custom tile set. >_<
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
Re: What Mods do you use for Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:13:56 am »

Orc mod at the moment, but i'm getting in to modding stuff myself. I understand that a few people have their own modded versions of the game that they haven't put up for downloading yet.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:17:50 am »

Dig Deeper.
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:07:04 am »

Just a personal mod with a lot of new creatures, a couple new races, and some other stuff (no graphics).

I stopped working on it a while ago to minimize the amount of rewriting I'll have to do when the new DF rolls out. Then I'll continue adding to it, maybe release it when I think it's big enough.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:14:08 am »

Mostly my own stuff. Having Modbase helps. A lot. My magical weapons file is 1.5 megabytes long. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:17:57 am »

Lego and Dark Dwarves.

I only realized after posting it that I couldn't really finish the Lego Mod until v. 41a of DF.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 12:25:29 pm »

Civ. Forge and Orc mod, plus graphical stuff.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »

A personal mod of mine that makes most good crops take two seasons to grow and disallows most crops from growing in the winter. Basically, I have divided the plants into three groups:
1. Berries and small plants. Only plantable in spring and harvestable in the summer. Cannot be cooked. Lots of extractables.
2. Slightly more hardy plants like herbs, grasses and roots. These are planted in the summer and harvested in the fall. Cannot be brewed. Includes thread-bearing plants.
3. Long-term plants. Planted in the spring, harvested in the fall, these are made to output more food at the cost of time. Can generally be used for most purposes.

I was thinking of plantable trees, but I was unsure if I would need a reaction at the smelter to work them.

But generally just playing with the long-term plants is rather challenging during the first five years, because you need to plan for how much will be eaten before the next serge of food.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 01:53:09 pm »

Civ Forge, of course.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:55:04 pm »

Dark Dwarfs. Its pretty kick ass
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »

i use my own race that ive created, complete with its own set of items and pets, and the other additions i have are the orcs and the sergals.

ive been considering adding in the mineral mod or something else though

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 03:39:52 pm »

I use a modified version of the Orc mod and I've made many changes and additions of my own.

The major ongoing project is to flesh out each biome with more real life animals, I just finished adding a load of new biome specific pigs and domestic pigs with some custom body parts too. I'll probably add new plants and vermin in the future.

The next load of animals I'm going to add follow the theme of extinct animals it will including Saber Tooth Tigers, Wooly Rhinoceros, Wooly Mammoths, Giant Ground Sloths, Glyptodons and many more. I haven't decided about whether to include dinosaurs yet though.

I've made it so many of the annoying coloured rock clusters are smaller, more rocks are magma safe too. Only really large animals trample grass. The cat fix. Goblins have larger litters and other small things.

[edit]I forgot to mention that I've made megabeasts more hardy in general so they actually put up a decent fight.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:42:23 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 04:13:26 am »

I grabbed stuff from just about every mod and made em into my own.  Most intact would have to be the orc mod, but even then, I modded it some.  Some of it is original work...

Its also getting annoying dealing with so many different types of...  creature parts.  Becoming like clutter to me.  Especially when I'm trying to melt free equipment in the stockpile screen...

I've already dropped a lot of gems and stones out of the game.  Less to deal with.  So the next course of action is to drop animal types down to a less hassle number...

And considering that 2+ panzy non-orc/goblin civs like to siege me for +9 months at a time... I'm gonna open up a season to be.. 'friendly only'.. might be lucky enough to trade and get some more victims to replace the constant losses every 2-3 years... 
Very important when your people are size 2... and intended to be assholes to every other civ...
(By panzy, I mean human like siegers...)

I need to make more of my civs into natural enemies...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:17:06 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 12:25:11 pm »

My own homebrew mod that includes my own dragonmen as a playable race, various custom but not unique metals(mithril, starmetal, etc.) a number of custom but also not unique wildlife(Chocobo, Grass Assassins, Behemoths, Stirge, more dragons, stuff like that)  Then add homebrew orcs and Argonians and things. 

Basically a little bit from every videogame I've played in the last 10 years then add some D&D.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 12:48:16 pm »

i'm using my hobbit mod, cheers for the help, a nerfed slightly orc mod and am working on a warhammer fantasy mod.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes
Pages: [1] 2