Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Raptor Preparedness  (Read 11987 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raptor Preparedness
« on: May 09, 2009, 04:42:52 am »

Theoretical situation: So, Jurassic Park was an actual island with real dinosaurs etc. In the novel a bunch of Raptors make it on to a boat heading for mainland America. In this situation, the captains of the boat weren't warned of the raptors and didn't kill them. The raptors arrive in Costa Rica, establish a nest, breed then move north through Central America, killing all locals. They make it to Mexico and eventually the US. OH Noes, Velociraptor invasion!

Inspired by the zombie topic, If Veloceraptors were to take over America and start hunting humans how would you defend yourself?

Guns? Melee weapons? Defensive positions?

IMO: In an Urban environment, you would be much safer, but that all depends if these raptors can climb buildings. Barricade doors of a decently tall building, Hide up the top. When food runs out, your a tensy bit screwed. Maybe if you could raid a military base and get yourself an armored vehicle that can withstand Velociraptor attack you could collect food a little easier. Maybe live in the armored vehicle until it runs out of petrol.

If i were in a rural area, well, I don't know what I would do. There would likely be more access to farmer weapons and such, so maybe I would take the fight to the raptors (well die trying anyway).

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Raptor Preparedness
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 05:08:08 am »

I am glad I live in europe and won't have to bother with velociraptors crossing the mexican border

also, raptors die easily if shot

the best survival chances would be given in a group that has many people and many weapons

alternatively, move to texas

people around there have enough weapons to deal with some raptors

maybe join the army
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:14:37 am »

Seriously, Raptors? The USA has the best fucking army in the world. I think they can deal with a few dozen thousand Raptors.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:22:32 am »

But the US army will never be able to completely eradicate the menace without bombing the shit out of every forest, jungle, swamp or place with decent cover. The US may think the raptors are taken care of but really there will always be more elsewhere. It will be a battle of attrition on the US forces until eventually there is nobody left to fight. People will stop going to work in fear of Raptors, thus utilities like power, fresh water, petrol will no longer be available as there is nobody to keep them going.

You have to remember these things breed fast.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 05:24:23 am »

humanity has made thousands over thousands of species go exctinct, without even trying to do so

the moment we actually spent money on eradicating raptors, as opposed to just letting them be hunted without regulation, they will very soon be dealt with
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 05:33:23 am »

I live in a fucking dessert, lets see them try to get me!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 05:39:33 am »

But... But... These raptors actively hunt humans, poses significant intelligence, work as a team, ambush, are extremely fast, can jump multiple metres in height and length, possess a claw sharper than a knife capable of slicing through flesh, sinew and bone and most importantly, can easily adapt to different environments.

To me that sounds like a major threat even to a military armed to the teeth. These predators won't just run up and be shot, they will learn, approach lone humans, out number and ambush. Then they will be off again, safely camouflaged in the mess of forest. You won't find a velociraptor, A velociraptor will find you.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 07:13:29 am »

I would, naturally, kill them with fire.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 07:15:45 am »

I live in a fucking dessert, lets see them try to get me!

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The big difference between a raptor invasion and a zombie invasion is that when a raptor kills you, you do not become a raptor. Raptors also need things like shelter. And they're not going to breed so fast that they'll ever become a swarm.

Now a combined zombie/raptor alliance would be awesome. Especially when the cunning raptors betrayed the zombies and war broke out between the two.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 07:18:56 am »

Oh god, and after they would form a council of representatives to make sure peace stays between them. Imagine a zombie and a raptor in suits at a table.

Also, our hicks have more than enough firepower to take on the world if they wanted to. Raptors would not stand a chance.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 07:34:09 am »

But... But... These raptors actively hunt humans, poses significant intelligence, work as a team, ambush, are extremely fast, can jump multiple metres in height and length, possess a claw sharper than a knife capable of slicing through flesh, sinew and bone and most importantly, can easily adapt to different environments.

To me that sounds like a major threat even to a military armed to the teeth. These predators won't just run up and be shot, they will learn, approach lone humans, out number and ambush. Then they will be off again, safely camouflaged in the mess of forest. You won't find a velociraptor, A velociraptor will find you.

we have guns, bombs and several thousands kinds of poison we can spread

/thread

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 07:38:13 am »

Can raptors survive Canadian Winter?
Eh?
Eh!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 07:42:08 am »

The main problem would be the wildlife activists protesting against the efforts of killing those raptors.
How difficult such a situation would be basicly depends on how you deal with them.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 07:44:52 am »

But they are unnatural; they aren't supposed to be in America and would likely destroy the local wildlife.  Their destruction would be supported by that group.
Can raptors survive Canadian Winter?
In short, no.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 07:49:33 am »

So, what, a mass migration to Canada is the best option here?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7