Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power without use - Megaproject potential!  (Read 1638 times)

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Power without use - Megaproject potential!
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:28:16 am »

I've got a problem here and I need a Dwarfy answer!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can see there the start of a project I decided to embark on. However, after I got the power foundation set up, I decided to scrap the idea. So, now I'm left with two water wheels being powered by the brook there and supported by the horizontal axel.

As for my problem? Well, what sort of Dwarfy thing can I do with that setup? Below, you can see the next two Z-levels down, so I can't channel water downwards without messing up my stockpile/administration level or the primary level of the fortress where everyone hangs out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
Re: Power without use - Megaproject potential!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:38:39 am »

Urist Mcdwarf cancels Attend Party: Drowning.

Show those party animals what for!
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:48:34 am »

If you can't go down, go up. Build a caravan-sanitation system. All incoming wagons must be washed clean of their foreign filth before entering your glorious fortress!
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:21:38 pm »

If you can't go down, go up. Build a caravan-sanitation system. All incoming wagons must be washed clean of their foreign filth before entering your glorious fortress!

Surely you suggest washing them with magma. Water is powerless against elf flu.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:17:15 pm »

No, I suggest washing them with water. Just enough water to make them really sopping wet and angry, but not enough to make them leave or declare war.

Besides, magma would also sanitize the lovely Giant Desert Scorpion they just brought you. That wouldn't be any fun.

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:42:45 pm »

Your idea of a caravan washer gave me an interesting idea and it definitely is a megaproject.

That said, it's easy to pull water from a brook and distribute it onto dry ground to let the entire map flood, isn't it?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:08:31 am »

You'll also need bearded female dwarves in skimpy accents to help with the cleaning.

On a more serious note: Flooding the world is a little harder, you'll need to store all the water somewhere, because the process slows down as time drags on as the brook runs out of water.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:08:04 am »

Not to mention the horrible lag which will really slow it down long before you get it all out fo the brook.

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:24:34 pm »

You'll also need bearded female dwarves in skimpy accents to help with the cleaning.

On a more serious note: Flooding the world is a little harder, you'll need to store all the water somewhere, because the process slows down as time drags on as the brook runs out of water.

I thought brooks were sourced water and, thus, couldn't run out of water. Or are you referring to draining the brook faster than water's coming in?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 12:47:34 pm »

I believe the water evaporates too quickly once the area it is covering is rather large.  So you either have to have many pumps (which might drain the brook faster than it is filled, I dunno, which means it wouldn't work), or store a bunch of water in a tall tower and then dump it all at once.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:17:00 pm »

You can also build floodgates to cordon off sections that are small enough to fill completely without evaporation. You wouldn't even need to make them all the same size:

Code: [Select]
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
O77777777O
O77777777O
O77777777O
O77777777X-->Fills to 2/7 water
O77777777X Pretend there's a wall on the right
O77777777O
O77777777O
O77777777O
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
If you make progressively larger segments, each can be filled about halfway by draining all the previously filled areas. Those can then refill without danger of evaporation at the same time as the new area tops up. Repeat until you have a flooded map.

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45:18 am »

Instead of flooding the map, I opted (instead) to create a large reservoir. I have three pumps pulling from the brook and two more pulling from a small pond that's fed from the brook.

...and shortly after turning this system on, one of my Blacksmiths went into a secretive mood and claimed a magma forge. I've chosen to interpret this series of events as intentional design. I must be doing the work of Armok to have been blessed in such a way.

Sabotage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:28:02 pm »

Instead of flooding the map, I opted (instead) to create a large reservoir. I have three pumps pulling from the brook and two more pulling from a small pond that's fed from the brook.

...and shortly after turning this system on, one of my Blacksmiths went into a secretive mood and claimed a magma forge. I've chosen to interpret this series of events as intentional design. I must be doing the work of Armok to have been blessed in such a way.

I find it ironic that the god is praising a god.