Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Planning Stages: A Flooded Swamp Village  (Read 1748 times)

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Planning Stages: A Flooded Swamp Village
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »

I'm considering a new kind of settlement, though its going to be interesting if I can make it work. Pondering the logistics.

The idea: A flooded swamp village. Villages build atop platforms rising over the water in an artificially created lake/water filled swamp.

I'm considering just how to do it. Obviously move to a spiffy swamp area, with or without any special features, then prepare a city in the bog. Wall it off, channel canals and large areas to later be flooded by the river.

Maybe build the city around a giant black rock tower rising out of the swamp that extends down into the swamp.

Of course I'll need to make some underground storage areas for food and things.

I'll make an alligator/crocodile farm, waterwheels everywhere on houses, wood bridges between houses/structures.

Then flood channeled out place underneath, making a swamp village.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planning Stages: A Flooded Swamp Village
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:59 am »

Well, the world gen does a pretty good job at making swamps. However, getting a river along with it will be alittle harder, but not impossible. I'd reccomend just widening the existing swamps so there is but a strip of land seperating each little swamp.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:49:02 am »

Mod in the Banjo and jugs of XXX, then it will truely be complete

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:42:57 am »

(I think it's fairly easy to change the names of items in the RAW files. Changes nothing else, iirc.  Change one instrument to banjo, one to gutbass, a couple alcohols to XXX and 'shine and white lightnin'.  Change dog to dawg.)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 02:45:28 pm »

The only downside is that DF swamps don't feel very...  swampy.  There's no hindrance to movement or to building.  If I were gonna do this I'd be tempted to simulate the swamp by putting a layer of water that's less than 7 on the ground level.  If you didn't get it just right (i.e., uniform) this would be a major FPS drain though.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:10:04 pm »

Replace the water with magma.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 08:14:37 pm »

This is a swamp, fortress idea. Magma, contrary to popular belief, is NOT the solution to everything. That's dead elves and elf skull totems.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 09:20:56 pm »

This is a swamp, fortress idea. Magma, contrary to popular belief, is NOT the solution to everything. That's dead elves and elf skull totems.

no no no! elf skull totems are for the headhunter village on a river. here we are talking about red neck swamp village! big difference between the two.(dead elves still work)
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:48:22 am »

Magma will kill the fort before it's even built. 99% of the time swamp villages are made of wood. Wood burns. Magma + wooden village = death of all dwarves before anything more interesting can happen. Before I'm corrected, I know constructed walls can't burn, even when made of wood, I'm referring to the freshly chopped wooden logs.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 09:29:44 am »

no no no! elf skull totems are for the headhunter village on a river. here we are talking about red neck swamp village! big difference between the two.(dead elves still work)
Actually, they still work-it's like the one guy who shot squirrels and hung up their tails on a clothesline (I kid you not): warn the buggers to keep out, or the bolt action comes out ;). Only elves don't have tails, so you need to improvise. And just like the squirrels, they can't seem to get the message.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 01:48:52 pm »

Magma will kill the fort before it's even built. 99% of the time swamp villages are made of wood. Wood burns. Magma + wooden village = death of all dwarves before anything more interesting can happen.

But wouldn't THAT be something interesting happening?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »

The only downside is that DF swamps don't feel very...  swampy.  There's no hindrance to movement or to building.  If I were gonna do this I'd be tempted to simulate the swamp by putting a layer of water that's less than 7 on the ground level.  If you didn't get it just right (i.e., uniform) this would be a major FPS drain though.
Yeah, my fortress is in the swamps, and although it has quite a few brooks and had an alligator, it still doesn't feel too swampy.  Ah well, it's still quite a good location.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 09:55:12 pm »

Maybe use lots of grates and floor bars to really give it a swampy feel, that you can look down and see the water?

You know, you might still be able to work magma in there somehow.  Maybe cover the magma with water, get an obsidian layer, and then flood over that, so you have a geothermally heated swamp.

Hell, forget the swamp, build Dwarven Hot Springs.  I think that's going to be my next megaproject.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:48:02 am »

Well, if waterwheels are going to be a feature of most houses, why not work a mist generator into the top floor of certain buildings as there will be ample power supplies? Say, for instance, a large two story tavern (with the top floor being mist generators surrounding internal rooms) between several one story houses. The one tall building would be surrounded by mist that would spray around the small buildings nearby.

If nothing else, that'd give you a nice fog effect and the kind of water coverings that you'd expect from a damp climate.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 11:40:01 am »

i gotta try this as it sounds really cool
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2