Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 62406 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - War Machine (Community - T/T/S)
« Reply #360 on: July 26, 2009, 05:34:13 am »

"Do you know," she asked, "a pair of dwarves named Petra and Datan by any chance?"

Whoop, there goes my continuity detector again. You must mean Jora and Datan, since, you know, Petra is the one talking.

The tower of Olonkulet isn't on the premises of our dwarves' outpost, is it? I got the impression that it was not.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 28, 2009, 02:33:52 pm »

Watch out for a dwarf called Mogror.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 28, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »

15th Malachite, 354

"Come one, come all, to the Dog House!"

A carnival atmosphere had descended upon the town of Olonkulet with the opening of Urgash Bonefetish's long-awaited 'Dog House', a massive dog farm and slaughterhouse perched at the southeasternmost corner of the town walls.  Dwarves of all ages milled around the compound and the nearby streets, holding freshly cooked hotdogs (no cat, guaranteed!) with prickly pear relish and redbulb flour baps.  The troubadour sang songs and performed sleight-of-hand tricks for spare firecaps, and Kel Ragebrew (finally recovered from his multiple beatings) had set up a concessional stall to sell drinks.  Fora wandered over to him with a pair of hotdogs, passing him one and picking up a small mug of beer.

"I've got to say, I'm impressed with the food," she commented, leaning on the stall and sipping her beer.  "Urgash breeds some good dog."

"Yeah, Mincewind made those," Kel pointed out.  Fora sprayed beer in all directions.

"And he's actually selling them?!"

"Oh, they're fine, I've had three.  Apparently he told the girl she was mixing cement when he gave her the sausagemeat."

"How does that even-"  Kel raised a hand.

"Don't question it, just eat it."  He glanced backward at the general workshops.  A few construction workers were setting blocks on the upper level at a relaxed pace, having brought some mugs and houndburgers up for the day.  "Sort of slowing the work on my still, but it'll do."  He sold a mug of glow wine to a passerby and looked over at the Dog House compound.  Many children were happily petting the dogs in the cages or on their restraints, while other children were admiring the wide array of deadly tools/weaponry available in the slaughterhouse.  Urgash himself was there in a bright purple coat and top hat, dyed purple with royal moss, demonstrating the sausage machine in action.

"And that's how we turn puppies into meals, kids!  But remember, never waste the parts, so next we'll take a tour around the tannery where you can learn the sixteen different uses for urine and dog muck.  First, though, who wants candied tripe?"  A chorus of cheers came from the children as Urgash passed around a platter of the strange, anonymous cuts of wobbly meat.  Kel shook his head and turned to address a new customer.

"Danielle!" he greeted, pouring out a fresh mug of glow wine.  "Care for a drink?  Only a firecap."

"Two drinks," Danielle said, "because I actually know what the value of that is per mug."  Kel grumbled and poured her a second mug.  She quaffed some and put it down.

"I'm surprised it's really happening," Fora commented.  "I didn't think Emerin was going to let up on the whole private enterprise thing."

"I gather the Nishans were putting a lot of pressure on her about it," said Danielle, then chuckled.  "Gethro was right against it, which probably tipped the scales."

"Not fond of him, then?" Kel asked.

"Not especially, no," came a voice from his right.  He turned to see Emerin leaning on the stall with a plate of houndburgers.  She tossed a couple of firecaps on the table.  "Give me some paint stripper, aye?"

"Aye, boss," said Kel, taking a copper canister from under the table.  He poured Emerin a mug of the absurdly potent drink made from turpens and she sipped at it gingerly, wrinkling her nose.

"By Deler's left testicle, that's strong," she coughed.  "Have they done the display yet?"

"Not yet," said Fora, shaking her head.  She pointed to the five marksdwarves on the town wall above the compound, fiddling with their bows, then looked at Danielle.  "Surprised you're not up there with him doing the tour."  Danielle shuddered.

"We have an arrangement.  He doesn't disturb me when I'm filing, I don't disturb him when he's with the dogs.  I have a spinning blade trap organiser in my office for a reason, you know."

"Don't you work all the time?" Emerin asked, raising an eyebrow.

"And he breeds dogs all the time, it's a perfect relationship," Danielle said drily.  "We never see each other long enough to get irritated by the other and meet up every couple of days for a drink or a romantic meal.  Why, how often do you see your beau?"

"Not as often as I would like," Emerin admitted, "though I suppose it's different for different people.  I guess I'd rather we weren't working all the time."

"Then maybe you ought to make time.  Ah, the marksquad looks like it's about ready.  I'll go join Urgash."  Danielle set her mug down and walked over toward the compound, where Urgash was just finishing the tour with a demonstration of proper skinning technique.  Fora put her mug down as well.

"I'm going to go find some more hotdogs.  Back in a bit, Kel."  She wandered off into the crowd.  Seeing the stall relatively unoccupied, Emerin leaned in toward Kel.

"Say," she asked, "I'm told you might be able to hook me up with something, uh, special?  In the drinks variety."

"Not sure what you mean, Mayor," Kel said neutrally.  Emerin pursed her lips.

"I've been having... dreams.  Odd dreams.  I know you were responsible for something like that happening to people, and I reckon you must've figured out a way to stop it, because you're not gibbering."  Kel stiffened.

"There is an... antidote, yes.  I don't know if it will just work on ordinary dreams, though."

"Yes, well, I'm willing to try anything right now.  Slip some by my apartment this evening, I'll see to it your brewery gets a head forward in the work schedules."

Kel said nothing, but Emerin detected a microscopic inclination of his head.  She leant against the stall and picked up a houndburger, looking up at the marksdwarves on the wall.  The new marksdwarf corporal raised his bow in sync with the others, shouted a command to the other marksdwarves and as one they fired.  Five bolts arched through the air, streaming brightly coloured tassels from the ends.  The crowd cheered as they passed over the town and onto the mountainside below.  Somewhere in the distance, a goat bleated in panic.

Nobody minded.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #363 on: July 28, 2009, 10:50:04 pm »

This post is all manners of dwarfness. :D

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 30, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »

Yay Party! also poor goat, or more accurately yay goat burgers too!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 30, 2009, 05:20:22 pm »

Khain's Journal,
19th Malachite, 354

News came in from Armdread today, along with a line of refugees.  They're settled down here at Gearpoint; Olonkulet's already stretched for room.  Apparently that girl sergeant hit them, and hard, but since Armdread refused to be part of the coalition we can't really call it an act of war.  There are a lot of pleas for a return force sent out, though; dead relatives to bury and such.  We're mounting a force now.

20th Malachite, 354

Stonebreaker's lot are gone, but we didn't luck out just yet.  Looks like there were plenty of ordinary goblin raiders in the region as well; they settled in to scavenge anything left the troops didn't take.  I think I saw some of them gnawing on bones when scouting; I can only hope dog bones.

Evening

Drove out the goblins with no casualties; couple of broken arms, but they'll heal.  The dead are mostly still here, no thanks to the greenskins.  We're working on taking them back to Gearpoint for burial, and sifting through the wreckage for anything that will survive the trip.

22nd Malachite, 354

theyre back

Evening

Thirty of the bleeding gobbers came at us while we were having breakfast!  Bloody raiders we kicked out must've gotten friends.  We were holed up in the sietch behind every door and piece of broken furniture we could make a barricade out of and trying to hold off a bloody swarm.  Lost three good dwarves to that rush, but I'll be damned if we didn't take down five gobbers for each of them.

We're going to have to abandon this post; they're bound to be back for another rush.  Armdread is lost, we'll have to get the dead and move back to the watchtower.

Danielle's Inventory,
15th Galena, 354

Excavation of the eastern mountain's edge has begun in earnest.  With the population increase from the Holddeep immigrants, we are trying desperately to make accomodation for everyone, but a major stone requirement has risen with the demand.  There is a lot of talk about just carving out burrows, a matter I am putting my foot down on.  I was one of the founders of this damned town, and I'm damned well not going to see the mountain gutted like a goblin for our convenience!

There's a booze shortage right now; I'm getting very crabby.  That damned charlatan Ragebrew is making a mint off it, being one of three half-way competent brewers in the town and Urgash tied up in the dog farm.

5th Limestone, 354

Astesh, one of the jewellers, has gone a bit religious.  That is to say, she kicked a mason in the head, stone his workstation and started off on another of those damned divine projects.  The great irony?  She can't complete it because she doesn't have any cut gemstones.  Well, she can damned well wait until Karana gets some time to cut some!

Tried discussing this to Urgash, but as usual he's tied up with a new litter of puppies.  I guess I shouldn't complain too much; I heard what happened to his ex-wife.  It's been days since I had a stiff shot of slatterjack.  I swear, I'm going to try and ferment puppies if it'll get me a drink.

6th Limestone, 354

It didn't.

8th Limestone, 354

A messenger arrived from Meadowfort; apparently Stonebreaker is marching an army there.  They're requesting support.  We don't have an army to spare, but Gethro put a lot of pressure on Emerin to intervene during the town council meeting today, and Ragna volunteered to lead a squad anyway.  Why do I get the feeling that once again we're going to have our competent fighters abandon us in favour of a few green marksdwarves and a crippled speardwarf hiding in his watchtower?

Gods damn it, I need a drink!

---------

Fast forwarding a bit today.  Not much happened in the summer, and I would rather get to the stuff that happened in the fort (and eventually back to a point where I can play the damned game again!) rather than stuff beyond it.  As always, Olonkulet is brought to you by a less than subtle plug.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 30, 2009, 11:08:00 pm »

Late in responding: I really liked the dog farm carnival! And booze shortage. And plug.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 31, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »

lol poor puppy

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2009, 07:12:54 pm »

10th Limestone, 354

Ragna lowered the spyglass and passed it along the line to Jora.  The younger swordsdwarf inspected it critically.

"Fancy.  How much did this cost you?"

"Arm and leg," volunteered Stug, adding with a cackle; "Promised glassblow keep arm and leg if give."  He caught Ragna's look and grumbled.  "Hundred firecap.  Happy?  Is joke, ha ha."

"Hah hah," echoed Datan tonelessly, taking the spyglass and peering over the hill.  The army was busy burning the farmlands around the fort and harvesting as much as possible for wood, repeating the same tactic as in the Holddeep siege.  Meadowfort was similarly constructed to Holddeep, but it had the added advantage of a moat.  Based on the premise that there is no such word as 'overengineered' in the dwarven dictionary, the moat was further filled with sharp wooden stakes and a population of deadly war carp were kept in the water.  According to the messenger, this was not the only surprise the moat had in store.

"So, no going through the sewers this time?" Jora asked.

"It was a reservoir, and no," said Datan, handing the spyglass back to Ragna.  "It looks like we'll have to risk getting in with the password and hope the army doesn't riddle us with arrows as we go."

"Seem pointless," Stug observed.  "Army twenty, thirty to one odds.  Not as if 'Morul'.  You think we four make difference?"

"No," said Ragna.  "If Meadowfort stands or falls, that will be up to her own defences.  The messenger said someone of importance to the Queen was trapped in the fort, though, and we're to rescue them."

"Not exactly the Queen's loyal subjects, are we, though?" Jora pointed out.

"Yeah, but when she finds out we've basically formed a small nation it'd be nice to have a bit of political capital on our side, wouldn't you say?" said Datan.  Jora shrugged.

"So... nothing for it but to run?" she asked, shouldering a broad iron shield.  Ragna nodded.  "After you, then, captain."

"Rosebud!  Rosebud!"

Corporal Hiltstaffed leant over the parapet, perplexed at the sight of the four dwarves running toward the drawbridge, arrows and bolts hailing at them from literally all sides (on account of some of the more overzealous defenders of Meadowfort).  Sergeant Pickreadied pulled him back behind the safety of the battlements as a stray arrow clattered off the wall nearby.

"So do you reckon we ought to let them in?" Hiltstaffed asked.

"Do you want to get impaled on a spear?" Pickreadied countered.

"Right, only, they're saying the right password.  Shouting it, even."

"Probably a trap.  No reason to leave our nice, cosy spot and brave enemy fire for a bunch of morons who couldn't get into the gate in time."

"For Gigin's sake, let us in or I'll grind your feet into sausage!"

"Certainly not with that attitude," the sergeant added, patting his jacket down for something to smoke.  He glanced up at the figure in the doorway and saluted half-heartedly.

"Let them in," the figure commanded.

"Um, is that really-" the corporal began, but the sergeant raised a hand and nodded to him wearily.

"Go on," sighed Pickreadied.  "I guess we risk our necks after all."

The four skirmishers from Olonkulet huddled together under the rudimentary tortoiseshell, although four shields was pushing it even for dwarves.  Arrows continued to clatter off the sides.

"Brilliant plan," commented Stug.  "Really.  Worthy of prize, yes?  Maybe we get big ribbon on chest later."

"And an arrow to pin it on with," muttered Jora.  "They're not opening the gate, captain!"  The arrows stopped.

"Well, there's some luck," Jora said brightly.

Up ahead, they could hear the heavy footfalls of soldiers racing toward them.

"Bugger this," growled Datan.  "Let's just-"

A heavy creaking behind them signalled the slow fall of the drawbridge.  Holding position until it had completely fallen, they ran under cover of shields across the thick wooden platform, ducking under the archway as the counterweights dropped and the drawbridge snapped back into place, flinging a handful of opportunistic invaders into the air.  One had the particular misfortune of falling into the moat, where the dreaded war carp began tearing him limb from limb.

"What in Gigin's name do you think you're doing?!" yelled an approaching dwarf in captain's uniform.  The new arrivals cautiously half-lowered their shields to find a ring of marksdwarves surrounding them.

"We're from a town called Olonkulet," explained Ragna, standing up from the crouched shield position.  "We are here to render assistance."

"Render assistance?" the Meadowfort captain demanded incredulously.  "You nearly let them through the bleeding gate!  Who did you kill for the password?  Lieutenant, drag this sorry lot off to the-"

"That won't be necessary," came a strangely familiar voice from the steps leading to the battlements.  "I sent for them."

All eyes turned to the figure looking over the courtyard; Datan, the Elf Liason for the Queen.  The captain opened his mouth to protest, then shut it and stormed away fuming.

"Bloody politicals," he muttered before slamming the door to a nearby tavern.  Ragna chose to believe this meant the captain was using it as a command centre.  In fairness, that was probably true either way.  The marksdwarves raised their weapons and returned to their posts on the walls, the Liason beckoning the dwarves of Olonkulet to follow him.

"So you wanted us here to get you out, is that it?" Ragna asked as they ascended the steps.

"About it.  Stonebreaker has a rather successful reputation; I should know, I fought alongside him when he helped the Queen take power.  Given that, I have no desire to be sticking around when his troops get here."

"Here now," said Stug brusquely.  "Let's go."  Datan chuckled and shook his head, gesturing over the battlements.  Stonebreaker's troops had formed a ring around the fortress.  Siege ladders were already being thrust up against the walls.

"I'm afraid not.  Your arrival started the siege off early; to get out now, we'll have to wait for either the attackers to break and abandon their strike, or rather more likely for the city to fall.  We ought to be able to make an escape in the confusion."  Datan gave a nod to a nearby defender, who blew sharply on a whistle.  All around the fortress walls, marksdwarves pulled shutters painted white to conceal them against the stone, releasing caches of thick black oil and pitch onto the surface of the moat below.  It was only a matter of time until a torch followed.

A ring of flames swept around Meadowfort, signalling the start of the siege.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 01, 2009, 11:59:19 pm »

*Whistles long and loud*

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2009, 12:54:03 am »

LETS BREAK SOME HEADS!!

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2009, 07:42:26 pm »

beautiful....simply beautiful

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2009, 02:04:30 am »

Yes. This is going to get epic. Datan and Datan finally meet! And nice to see Urgash is still around, and doing something very dwarfy.

"Brilliant plan," commented Stug.  "Really.  Worthy of prize, yes?  Maybe we get big ribbon on chest later."

I know it's been mentioned before, but Stugs lines are a lot funnier if you're subconsciously reading them with a Russian accent.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 06, 2009, 05:08:18 am »

12th Limestone, 354

"Pull back to the inner bailey!" yelled Ragna over the Meadowfort captain's corpse.  Gesturing with her blade, the defenders gave a few final kicks and thrusts at the handful of surviving goblin troops being pressed before their dwarven masters before abandoning the street and drawing back through the archway of the inner bailey.  Jora, Datan the dwarf and Ragna held the front against the attackers, swords and axe cutting through droves of attackers as they made their retreat.  Jora spun with flourish, wielding her sabre like an extension of her form as Datan cleaved bodies in twain with mighty strokes of his axe.  Ragna took this a step further, weaving in and out of the enemy line with ducks and dodges that seemed to know where the enemy would strike before he did.  Even so, the three maintained a retreat against the sheer number of troops pressing through the streets.  They held position at the inner bailey's gates until the portcullis came down, then retreated to the safety of the walls around the narrow courtyard.

"Marksdwarves!" Ragna commanded.  "Get into position on the walls, we need to turn this place into a murder hole immediately!  Trapmaster, activate the floor!"  With a low grinding, the dusty tiled floor of the courtyard shifted an inch on unseen rails, then lay still.  The defenders made their way around the very edge of the courtyard to the inner building, the Elven Liason and remaining soldiers holding the door open for them.  As they passed into the building within, enemy battering rams broke through the portcullis and a stream of captured goblins and dwarves were forced into the courtyard to the greetings of dozens of arrows.  As the wave spread across the courtyard, the suddenly unstable tiles tilted on greased axles, dropping bodies into heavy stone meat grinders powered by unseen waterwheels.  The troops continued forcing bodies into the breach until the sheer quantity of flesh gummed up the works and provided a bridge for the remaining troops to cross.

[Internet access sporadic atm, none of my pre-written notes.  Post will be edited and updated as I get access again.]

[OK on hiatus for one week - RL situation unexpectedly busy, only have time to maintain regular updates on one of my stories, so despite the fact it actually has less readers I had to give Violet Water Beast the priority.  Olonkulet will return soon.]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:07:39 am by Iituem »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - War Machine (1 week hiatus)
« Reply #374 on: August 16, 2009, 07:54:35 pm »

I found this thing on page three, if you can believe it.

It's been ten days, Iituem. I believe an update, on the story or on what's going on, is appropriate.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31