Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 62427 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - War Machine (Community - T/T/S)
« Reply #330 on: July 09, 2009, 12:19:48 pm »

][Mincewind's journal][
And now they even take the cement mixing from me! How else am I supposed to make a living, siege operator?!
You just watch, they'll be actually agreeing with that and suggesting I use my cakes as ammo...
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 09, 2009, 12:45:56 pm »

lol now someone has to make a mod so that u can use cakes as ammo  :D

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2009, 01:14:21 pm »

And crumpets.
A catapult-launched crumpetspam might actually take down Ironblood.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 09, 2009, 01:22:05 pm »

lol true

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2009, 08:26:11 pm »

And crumpets.

I imagine Ironblood eating so many crumpets that he ends up exploding because he ate too many damn crumpets. Like...oh, whats his face, that fat bloke who blew up after eating a whole lot of food in Monty Python's Meaning Of Life.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2009, 01:29:34 am »

And crumpets.

I imagine Ironblood eating so many crumpets that he ends up exploding because he ate too many damn crumpets. Like...oh, whats his face, that fat bloke who blew up after eating a whole lot of food in Monty Python's Meaning Of Life.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, of course, he'd have a second try with being chosen of armok and all. Anyway, let's not derail the thread any further, 'kay?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2009, 10:46:21 am »

Emerin's Log
25th Felsite, 354

Frey returned today from his tour of the sietches and the general feeling is that we do all have a common enemy in Stonebreaker, but the sietches are quite protective of their independence.  A meeting has been arranged at a local plateau near the base of the mountain, an outcropping of rock named Olonakil, or Gearpoint.

One of the masons started gibbering today, frothing at the mouth over his ale (and not as a result of the ale, either).  He insisted on everyone calling him "The Breed of Sewers" and started carting tetrahedrite out from the stocks to one of the workstations.  Any time someone tries to negotiate with him, his head turns 180' and he spits pea soup at them.  Mostly he chants in insensible tongues, but two phrases keep emerging; "The Dripping Darkness" and "The Divine Betrayers Betray Once More!".

1st Haematite, 354

The air was thick with uncertainty when the groups reached Gearpoints; a shallow mesa of dolomite in the sand, roughly likened to a six-toothed gear.  Emerin's own party of four consisted of herself, Frey, the Nakasian priestess Karana, the crippled speardwarf Khain and at both his own and Frey's insistence, dungeon master Gethro.  Emerin vaguely recognised Toolbridges from the sietch of Catchwater, along with his wife and nephew, but had to rely on Frey for the names of the leaders from Brimclosets, Sandstops and Armdread.  The leader of sietch Armdread, Rimbearer, strode forward with a belligerent glare in his eye.

"So you're looking to own us, is that it?" he demanded.  "Starting a fief of your own?"

"Not really what I had in mind, no," said Emerin, raising an eyebrow.  "This is about protection, yours and ours, against the greater threat of-"

"Oh, I see!" laughed Rimbearer derisively.  "It's 'protection', is it?  You'll be wanting taxes, that's how it starts, and soon enough you'll be after the shirt on my back!  You even brought the bleedin' aristocrat to hammer the point home, if you don't have a Hammerer yet yourself!"

"That's actually not-" Emerin began, but was unable to successfully interrupt Rimbearer's tirade.

"Well, I won't stand for it!  I say that we can manage well enough on our own without any of your help!  Neither I nor my sietch will have any part in this!"

"Then by all means," said Gethro in a calm, firm voice, "do not let us detain you from your business."  He locked eyes with Rimbearer, whose boisterous expression became a little less certain.

"Fine!" he shouted.  "I will!  We're going, and we strongly urge everyone else to do the same!"  Rimbearer stormed away, his companions following him with more than a hint of uncertainty.  Emerin gave Gethro a puzzled look.

"What was all that about?" she asked.

"Sometimes dwarves come to a conference not to hear anyone else's voice, but to boast how well they can speak themselves," the dungeon master explained.  "Take my advice as someone who has been in politics for a long time, Mayor, you do not need that sort of person.  The only regret is that his sietch will suffer for his pride."  Emerin shook her head and turned to the remaining sietch representatives.

"Very well then," she said.  "First of all I wish to thank you all for taking on the refugees you have.  I understand how difficult this can be."  Emerin smiled to herself at the thought of the last three years; she really did.  "We all face a threat in General Stonebreaker.  Some of us might agree with his motives; who would want to be ruled by an elf?  This does not excuse what he does in the name of that.  Holddeep has experienced what it means to be his prey and some of you have suffered against him directly."  Emerin nodded to Toolbridges, who still used a crutch.

"I believe that the best course of action we can take is to join together in defence against him.  My town has walls, mechanised defences and infratstructure that the sietches do not but we lack the resources and space to simply move everybody there, even if there was the will amongst you for such a thing to happen.  We can also field less scouts and advance guard than the sietches can.  We offer protection and defence in case of attack, but ask for your axes in return to help make it happen."

"Call it what it is," said the representative of sietch Sandstops, a female dwarf named Cuphammer.  "You ask our fealty."

"Yes," said Gethro boldly, stepping forward alongside Emerin, "but we ask it in the truest sense of the word, not the distortion it became in the secure halls of the Mountainhomes.  A promise to serve for a promise to protect.  A promise of benefit to everyone, both now and in the long term.  Alone, the sietches will fall.  Alone, our town will fall.  Yet a council of representatives as exists in the human lands is too slow, and each sietch deciding for itself whether it will take part in any given confrontation will bring too much disunity.  Fealty is the most viable option given the threat of Stonebreaker, of the Queen and of the desert itself."

"You would have us swear fealty to you, then?" asked the Brimclosets representative, Bittergem.

"No," said Emerin, taking an additional step forward to put herself in front of Gethro.  "I would have you swear fealty to the town itself and to the union it represents, not to any one noble.  So I would have my town swear its own oath to protect you.  What say you?"

"I say aye," said Toolbridges, who bent to one knee on the sandy dolomite.  "Your town has saved me and mine in the past and you have our trust."

"You will promise this, in word and in stone?" demanded Cuphammer.  "That we will be as equals?"

"Not as equals," said Gethro, stepping forward again to put himself level with Eremin, "but that all will benefit.  That is the best offer you will get, and a better offer than Stonebreaker or the Queen will give you.  As representative, though, you will have voice to plead your sietch's needs in the greater body." 

"We swear this both in the stone of a tablet and in the stone of foundations," said Khain, who had been studying the gear-shaped rock.  "This place would make a fine site for a watchtower, both to keep guard over the sands and to commemorate the occasion.  I would myself insist that its operation remain in the hands of the sietches, not the town.  If they trust us for protection, we must trust them for warning."

This offer seemed enough to placate Bittergem, who knelt and swore fealty also.  Seeing the other two sietch leaders consent and her own objections answeres, Cuphammer's oath completed the three.  Karana carved into a stone tablet the oaths of the three sietches, as well as the oath of Emerin (and Gethro, who insisted on a noble oath being present), and above it she devised a flag.  Carving with prodigious skill she detailed three titans to represent the sietches who swore fealty, the six-spoked gear of Olonakil, and upon each spoke the sign of one of the gods, in honour of the six shrines of the leading town.

"Not a bad piece of stonework," commented Toolbridges, leaning on his crutch.  "What do you call it, though?"

Karana traced a finger around the gear, stopping at each of the little signs on the spokes, wherein she had detailed a tiny abbey.

"I call it Olonkulet, master Toolbridges.  Gearabbeys."

-------------

Today's belated update and unrelated plug is brought to you by Writer's Block!  The lesson here being, just keep writing through it, because no amount of delay is going to help.

The good news is, we can finally start referring to the gods-damned town by NAME!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:32 am »

There was much rejoice. Yaaaaaaaaaay.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 13, 2009, 04:09:59 pm »

Tension is building. I fell a bit behind, but as usual caught back up in a single sitting and I'm engrossed as ever. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to the inevitable Ragna vs Stonebreaker matchup, as both are card-carrying badasses.

Also, I was poking around the legends for a world I genned and I found this, which made me think of Olonkulet. Turns out alternate reality Fath is the god of mechanics...

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 13, 2009, 08:18:08 pm »

i love the update! nice showing how the people slowly begin to get together to fight off the attacks, and how the town gets its name! i like the idea of an odd shaped mountain being the source of the cities name, in honor of the fact the treaty is signed on its slopes

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2009, 06:54:57 pm »

11th Haematite, 354

The Gibdan wagons pulled into the covered marketplace of the gaudy Nishan chapel, human traders working at unloading their wares.  Emerin noticed a few fresh faces, the absence of some of the familiar guards, and signs of wear and tear on wagon, beast and merchant alike.  Ibon approached her and clasped hands.

"It is good to see you are still alive, my friend," the Guild's representative said.  "Others on my route have not been so fortunate."

"Trouble with raiders?" Emerin asked, glancing at the torn canvas on the wagons and the embittered expressions of its guards.  Ibon made a dismissive gesture.

"Raiders we can deal with.  Traitors have brought us this difficulty.  Are you familiar with the dwarf Stonebreaker?"

"We have suffered at his hand, yes.  He betrayed your people and attacked you?"

"Rather the opposite," Ibon conceded, looking aside for a moment.  "My guild has factions within it, merchants of greater and lesser power.  One of higher station than I dealt with Stonebreaker, supplying him.  It was profitable for a long time, until that merchant felt it was more profitable to cheat the General.  Now he is striking out at any and all Gibdan traders, making an example to the Guild.  He recently dug out a new sietch, Temptcrafted, to strike at our caravans on both possible routes.  Soon we may have to stop trading altogether if we cannot get better protection or beg passage from this dwarf."

"How will you manage?" Emerin asked.

"We won't," chuckled Ibon mirthlessly.  "Yet we may last a little longer with your help.  Let us work out some matters of trade, my friend.  We will travel lighter across the desert without this heavy lumber, and the gemmed trinkets you produce here are light and simple to conceal."

"Agreed, Ibon.  Why don't we go over the wood you've brought..."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:38 am »

Petra:

In camp, by fire light, and under the guise of making verse sat Petra against a boulder, writing. She checks constantly if she's being watched.

From the Journal of Petra

We attacked a caravan today. Stonebreaker's orders. I killed two guards and the leader ordered the elves rounded up and killed. I don't know why we're all of a sudden attacking caravans like mad, but here I am in the middle of it. Just like that sietch... Holddeep, was it? Slaughter, naturally. Under orders: rope and trees. Elves love trees, don't they? Figured the sergeant. Dunno his name. Don't care. Tie 'em to the trees said the sargeant. Then take the nails stolen from the caravan and drive 'em through their bodies.
We left them to die. Stole everything from the caravan though. Hauling it is another story.

Some verse: to justify the unnaturally curious around here.

Life's a backbreaker, stoney and hard
A barrel of ale and a cart of gold
Are comforts sitting deep in the hold
Gigin's malice steals the horde
Scatters the treasure to the eight winds
For scavengers and parasites alike
Dressed in shiney steel and holding sharp swords
With spears and crossbows and shields and armor
Pounce upon Gigin's stolen treasures
Fighting amoung the rats and gnats and flies
For a gold piece landed in the lonely desert.
Amoung Gigin's horde a hatred arise
An implosion of hatred and ambitions turn sour
Can a culture commit self-suicide?

Then Petra looked about again and slid the journal into her pack, amoung some spider silk she was hauling back to Tempcrafted.
That night her dreams were back in the fields of blood. Vaguely she hear "Armok! Armok! Armok!" Though when she woke the words were ringing in her ears.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 15, 2009, 03:06:50 pm »

What's Loksvig been up to?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 15, 2009, 03:35:17 pm »

Is it okay if I ask for another dwarf? Mincewind's good for the occasional comedic relief, but she's hard to write anything solid for.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 16, 2009, 07:12:31 am »

Captain Broose stood in a relaxed parade stance as the General perused the latest reports from Temptcrafted.  He briefly considered how much Stonebreaker looked like a coiled snake most of the time, shoulders perpetually set like he could strike at any moment, holding back the rage with a continual air of focused discipline.

"...Crucified?" the General asked, raising an eyebrow but not looking up from the report.

"Yes, sir," Broose replied.  "Brickbeard got a bit carried away, sir.  Not fond of elves, sir."

"Well, who is?" Stonebreaker muttered.  "We don't need a war with the elves, though.  Have him disciplined."

"Already done, sir."  Stonebreaker nodded curtly and continued reviewing the report.  He finished reading and placed the slate on his desk, picking up another one and holding it out to Broose, who took it and glanced over the contents.

"Fortress structural work finishes today," the General said.  "The new troops from Holddeep arrive in the morning.  We are going to need space for them."  He studied Broose's expression.  Broose for his part endeavoured to keep it as neutral as possible.  He drew in a breath.

"We have sixty-six workers surplus to requirements, sir.  About a fifth are dwarves."

"I thought the workforce had a higher dwarven composition than that," commented Stonebreaker casually.  Broose set his jaw, then deliberately relaxed it.

"A number of the dwarves are salvageable, sir.  It would be a better use of our resources to employ them in dealing with the issue at hand and so bind them closer to us."  The General appeared to consider this, then nodded his assent.

"Very well, then.  Execute the order.  Sixty-six, you say?"

"Yes, sir."  Stonebreaker nodded and Broose took this as dismissal.  He turned to leave when the General spoke with sudden frankness, casting away the polite facade and asking intently;

"Do you have any problems with genocide, Captain?"

Broose did not look back, but answered in a level voice as he left.

"I'm a soldier, sir.  I have my orders."

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31