Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 62456 times)

Duke of Nawn

• Bay Watcher
  • Nuke of Dawn?
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - War Machine (Community - M/W/F)
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:52 am »

Okay. Okay.
Okay.

I've been wanting to request a dwarf for like a week but I was having a bout of exceptional unimaginativity. No longer! I am now merely mostly unimaginative.

Name: Caul Dren.
Profession: Chef, cookerdwarf, or foodinator.

Caul Dren is one of the Stonebreaker faction's cooks. He is quite happy to make a wholehearted attempt to cook anything and everything at hand, with the possible exception of his cookware and heat source. (May or may not have been jailed for cooking his fellow cooks to keep with the theme of the thread). To this end, is also quite happy to take apart anything too large or uncookable for slightly more cookable bits, be it vegetation, animal, mineral or otherwise (also, if he should become particularly excited with the culinary prospects, living, dead, or otherwise). He is also quite happy to cook to feed whoever is around, wherever he is. He's fairly good at making a horrendous atrocity into something surprisingly edible, but can't muster the enthusiasm to do a particularly good job at mundane meals. Firmly believes that culinary perfection can only come from the fusion of all flavors, textures, viscosities, phases of matter and whatever else he can frankenstein together.
I'm not writing a backstory because it has recently come to my attention that I suck at it, and anything Mr. Ituem comes up with will undoubtedly be better anyway.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2009, 07:57:21 pm »

Vignette: Elven Justice
12th Slate, 354

"You planning on paying for that?" demanded Mincewind of the dwarf before her.  The dwarf, an especially stout specimen by the name of Grettir, wiped his beard of ale and glared at the bardwarf belligerently.

"No, what of it?" he challenged.

"If you're not going to pay, I'll need you to leave."

"I reckon I'll be staying here with that fine beard of yours," leered Grettir.  "Are you going to stop me?"

"I'm telling you," said Mincewind crossly, "get out of here or-"

"Or what?"  Grettir raised his tankard threateningly.  "Maybe you need a lesson in manaaaaargh!"  A hand had found its way companionably onto Grettir's shoulder and the dwarf sank slightly at the knees.  Stug leaned in to the dwarf's ear and pried the tankard from his unresisting hand.

"Perhaps need calm down," the guardsdwarf said soothingly.  "Why not pay tab, get fresh air.  Sound good, yes?"  Grettir nodded feebly and tossed a few firecaps onto the table before slunking out of the beerhall, clutching his shoulder.  Stug put his hand on the table and removed it, revealing the small lump of rock cake.

"Thanks for, uh, having a word with him," said Mincewind.

"Yes," said Stug.  "Stop putting cement in rock cake, Mince-dwarf.  Last week, chip tooth on faery cake.  Not happy.  Will 'have word' with you if not stop.  Yes?"  Mincewind nodded.  "Good."

Stug returned to the table where Ragna was sat with her own mug, giving him an appraising eye.

"Well," she said, "he left without a broken jaw, so you're getting better at your people skills.  Good job, lance-constable."  Stug nodded.

"Is law.  Make happen."  He looked at her suddenly with an almost childlike expression of hope.  "Story time?"

"Pardon?" the old dwarf asked.

"Is beer-place, is good day.  Tell story about elf, like before.  You were on way to trial," he prompted helpfully.  Ragna stared at him for a few moments, then shrugged.

"Well, as you say..."

Lieutenant Ragna Stockadebow found herself on the way to trial for high treason one bright summer morning, ferried through miles of shady forest by a constant guard of Elven rangers and the two druids appointed to represent and prosecute her at the trial.  To her great dismay, the elf appointed to her defense was apparently disgusted by her very presence and refused point blank to speak with her.  She did not mind this arrangement in the slightest, save that it did not bring her much hope of a favourable outcome at trial.

Beyond their nightly rests, the entourage stopped only once during the two weeks of the journey.  This respite came as a diversion to the blackened grove where Ragna's companions had been incinerated, along with much of the forest around.  The grove was currently inhabited by a handful of elves in travelling coats and boots, all engaged in what appeared to be scrutinous study of the soil, the charred tree roots, even the discarded rocks.  Based on the deference given to them by the rangers, Ragna guessed them to be druids.  Her two druidic lawyers spoke with the forensic druids at length in their Elven tongue, giving Ragna time enough to study her surroundings.

Around the edges of the clearing, signs of life were already returning.  Grass blades poked out of the ashen soil in many places and a veritable wealth of fungi had sprung up on the blackened tree husks.  Within the clearing itself not a sign of life could be made out, beyond the druids gathered there.  Not even fungi had sprouted to take advantage of the rich nutrients in the ash; the clearing was a near-perfect circle of dead ground.  Ragna noticed the prosecuting druid, Inefa, grow increasingly agitated at the information he was receiving from the druids up to the point where he broke off from the group and picked a pair of rocks from the ground within the clearing.  Bringing one down sharply upon the other, he cracked one of the rocks neatly in two and examined the two halves with a look of dawning horror.  The pieces fell from his hands and Ragna briefly caught a glimpse of a film of red liquid coating the breaks as Inefa strode up to her and challenged her angrily.

"What did you do, dwarf?" she raged.  "Ignorant and malicious arson I can understand, but this?  For such an act, I should slay you where you stand and burn your corpse until nothing of it could be eaten!"

"What is going on?" demanded Ragna.  "What are you talking about?"

"You have cut at the very heart of the forest with your cruel axe!  You have done what ought to be impossible, and when I find out how I shall stop at nothing to see you punished!"

Ragna tried once again to protest that the human she had seen had caused the fires, but once again the elves would have none of it.  Little comfort was derived from this as it became increasingly more evident to her that her guilt was already predetermined.  The elves departed from the burnt out glade not long thereafter, continuing their journey through the endless Elven forests toward the tree-city of Sealpasses.  As the days dragged on, Ragna began to notice a change in her surroundings.  The trees began to grow taller, the leaves broader and richer in colour.  Birdsong rang clearer and a great freshness filled the air, heightening her sense of smell.  In one of his more communicative moods Inefa attributed this increased vividity to the health of the Force within the region.

The thick canopy of the forest prevented Ragna from seeing Sealpasses until the group was almost upon it, but once there she found it hard to ignore the expansive trunks that formed the Elven treehomes.  Fully twelve in number formed a ring around the capital, each trunk as thick as a small house and bearing many layers of branches up above the general canopy of the forest.  Each of the home-trees bore a resemblance to a white oak, save for their massive girth and as Inefa would explain, ten to twenty-fold lifespan.  At the centre of the ring grew a magnificent tree the like of which Ragna had never seen, similar in form to a great chestnut but with golden bark and silvery-green leaves. 

The trunk seemed wide enough to accomodate a drinking hall and it was only upon close examination that she realised it was hollowed within, an entrance at the base leading to a spiral stairwell moulded by the mysterious Elven magic from the living wood of the tree.  Up this central well Ragna was brought, catching glimpses through knot-hole windows in the great trunk of the city below; a multi-tiered arrangement of criss-crossing bridges and linked tree homes centered around the twelve great oaks, each of which bore bridges from one another and to the central trunk, giving Sealpasses the appearance from above of a great spoked wheel with the golden chestnut as its hub.

Soon enough Ragna found herself once again within a cell, this one specially grown for the occasion.  A small, knot-hole windowed room in one of the chestnut's higher branches, organic bars had been grown across the roof of the chamber, save for the circular hatchway in which an ornately carved hatch-cover had been installed and through which Ragna had been interred.  It seemed Elves treated 'dead' wood even more reverently than they did the living trees in which they made their homes.

A few hours passed before a guard brought Ragna from her cell to a great circular hall formed of smoothed and interlocking branches at the crest of the tree.  The wood had been shaped into tiered steps upon which a multitude of elves sat, creating something of a theatre about the central platform upon which an elf sat upon an elegant wooden throne in a robe that seemed whiter than white, embroidered with golden thread in a stylised floral theme and within which small, brightly coloured flowers had been sewn.  The elf seemed no older than the others, bearing that same ever-youthful appearance, but her eyes and bearing spoke of wisdom and regality.

The trial was about to begin.

----------

Partial Update Today because this week has been a nightmare and I am knackered.  -.-

On the other hand, small update is better than no update.  I'll aim to edit this into a full version some time tomorrow and hopefully keep it all flowing better.

(And I think it reasonable to assume you'd rather have an update from a fresh and awake Khelden than a groggy and dead-headed one.  Oh, to get the buffer built up again so I don't have to worry about this...)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2009, 08:44:22 pm »

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2009, 09:36:21 pm »

i note with some interest that our local goblin-dwarf is slowly getting better at talking. still needs to learn to not kill people at the drop of a coin, but definatly getting better at talking  ;D

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2009, 03:04:43 am »

Marvelous as always. And for some reason, I hear Stug speaking in a Russian accent.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2009, 07:10:44 am »

Marvelous as always. And for some reason, I hear Stug speaking in a Russian accent.

I've just got an image of a dwarf in a commisars uniform in my head...
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2009, 11:54:47 am »

I've just got an image of a dwarf in a commisars uniform in my head...
That...
Sounds strangely appropreate to his political ideas...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another episode of Ragna's backstory, as well as seeing who is going to be backstabbed worst by Broose, considering his background I'm not sure whether he's actually infiltrating at all or just deserting without giving away the details of where he came from.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2009, 07:06:53 pm »

Ragna was seated at the edge of the inner circle, an unknown elf joining her to act as translator while Inefa and Avetho approached the centre to argue their cases before the high druid.  The dwarf leaned in toward her translator.

"So when do I get to plead my case?" she asked.  The translator shook his head.

"You do not."

"What, not at all?"

"No.  Your defense will be managed by the counselor.  Speak no further, dwarf, the proceedings have begun."  The translator nodded to Inefa, who had taken the stage before the high druid and was speaking.

"<Cacame,>" he said formally, addressing the druid by the name of the forest's resident Force, "<this dwarf stands accused of crimes against the nation of the Fin of Saints and against the Force that runs through all.  I will argue that she is guilty of oath-breaking and deception, of bringing blade and flame into the forest and setting them loose upon the glades and worst of all of striking a blow against the Force itself.  Shall any elf oppose my accusation?>"  After a short pause, Avetho spoke.

"<I shall,>" he said simply.

"<Then let the accuser speak,>" said the high druid, "<and I shall hear the truth of it against the opposer.>"

"<Cacame,>" said Inefa, "<The dwarves of the Seared Crypts were allowed permission to travel through the forests guarded by the Fin of Saints on the understanding that no harm would be done to the land and no war would be brought upon the soil.  In both these oaths they have failed and this dwarf stands trial as the sole survivor of her band.  All others were slain in the course of their devastation.>

"<The dwarven deceivers travelled through the forests in search of a goblin band, whom they tracked  to the site of the betrayal and attacked, slaying them by dwarven axe and bolt.  They then set fire to the glade, seeking to burn away the evidence, but the flames turned upon them and consumed the dwarves for their crime.  One alone survived for the purpose of facing justice.  Somehow, the act was able to pierce the very heart of the Force there, rendering a portion of the land truly lifeless and unholy.  Even now, druids struggle to coax the Force's return.>"

"Where's his evidence?" hissed Ragna upon hearing the translation.

"None is needed," whispered the translator.  "His word is beyond doubt.  If that is what he says, it is what he believes to be true."

"But you need evidence!  How can that druid know he is speaking truth?"

"Because he is an elf," said the translator simply.

"But they haven't even listened to my story!"

"Your words are meaningless, dwarf.  You have been accused of the crime and your troth is in doubt."

"Damn it, I'm the only remaining witness!  I've been trying to tell you all about the human that short fire from his hands, but none of you will listen-"  Ragna was interrupted by a stream of Elvish from the high druid.  The translator nodded.

"The high druid says," he explained, "that if you speak once again, dwarf, he will seal your tongue with tree-sap.  Be silent."  Ragna glowered, but uncertain of the extent of Elven magic chose to keep her peace.

"<I make no opposition to the charges of oathbreaking and betrayal,>" said Avetho.  Ragna rose with a start, then heard the soft creaking of a score of bowstrings and carefully sat back down under the gaze of the archers surrounding the room.

"<It is patently obvious,>" Avetho continued, "<that the dwarves tracked and hunted the goblins with no intent other than to slay them, and their weapons and the markings upon the bodies prove such.  The accusation that the dwarves began the fire, I oppose, though I do not oppose that they broke their oath not to harm the forest by allowing it to happen.  It is my assertation that no dwarf is sufficiently attuned with or has knowledge of the Force to strike at it directly and that the mere razing of a glade, heinous a crime as it is, is not sufficient to work the damage done to the Force at that site.  Broken and battered as it is in that place, it appears as if the very power of the Force has been drained from its heart.  This is my defense, Cacame.>"

"<Then let the matter be judged,>" said the high druid.  "<As no opposition was raised to the charges of oath-breaking, let the dwarves be found guilty on this matter.  To the charge of arson the truth cannot be known as to whom first began the fire, so the matter shall be held in abeyance until light is shed upon it.  To the charge of desecration the Force finds favour with the accused; I can sense the disturbance in the Force in that place, a vile intrusion recognisable to any who have experienced it before.  Your suspicions are made false through your inexperience in the Dark side of the Force, Inefa, and you are to be held blameless for the error.  The one who has perpetrated this has escaped for now and must be hunted, but no dwarf can be found guilty for this crime; the secrets of the Force are too closely guarded for any dwarf to conceivably hold.>

"<Let this sentence be placed upon the dwarf, then; to be held within the care of Sealpasses until such time as seven months have passed.  She is to have rein of the city, but to cross beyond the borders merits death and war upon her people.  This is the penalty for oath-breaking placed upon the Searing Crypts.  This is the will of the Force, of Cacame.>"

"<Cacame's will be heard,>" spoke the Elves of Sealpasses in unison.

"And now that the dwarf's word in this matter can be trusted," said the high druid, turning her gaze for the first time to Ragna, "it would please the Force greatly to hear her word on this 'human' of whom she speaks."

----------

Okay, another short update.  Many apologies for the reduced length - play rehearsals this week and a performance tomorrow, plus trying to port Olonkulet as a contiguous story to the writing 'blog.  Blaaargh, all very exhausting.  -.-
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:24:49 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2009, 07:59:14 pm »

Awesome. Although, Star Wars much? XD

"<Cacame,>" he said formally, addressing the druid by the name of the forest's resident Force, "<this dwarf stands accused of crimes against the nation of the Fin of Saints and against the Force that runs through all.  I will argue that he is guilty of oath-breaking and deception, of bringing blade and flame into the forest and setting them loose upon the glades and worst of all of striking a blow against the Force itself.  Shall any elf oppose my accusation?>"
the nation of the Fin of Saints and against the Force that runs through all.  I will argue that he is guilty of oath-breaking and deception,
argue that he is guilty
he
wat.

lol, great job.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2009, 10:20:36 pm »

*Whistles the theme of the Force from Star Wars*

This gives me a great idea. Somebody needs to request an elf that knows the ways of the dark side of the Force. I'd do it myself, but I already have plenty of characters.

Okay, another short update.  Many apologies for the reduced length - play rehearsals this week and a performance tomorrow, plus trying to port Olonkulet as a contiguous story to the writing 'blog.  Blaaargh, all very exhausting.  -.-

I'll forgive you. This time. Still, though. Impressive dedication, even with all that going on.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 13, 2009, 03:06:33 am »

yes. i had to re-read that update, but with him as russian. it was awsome  ;D

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2009, 03:25:58 am »

*cough*

What gender mix-up?  >.>

If you think I stop parodying Star Wars there, you're in for a great disappointment.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2009, 03:28:39 am »

yes. i had to re-read that update, but with him as russian. it was awsome  ;D

I think most of us did that. I know I did. And it was awesome. "Story Time?"

Heh, I like Star Wars, so no harm no foul :) I love all of Ragnas stuff, BTW, she makes a perfect lancer for Emerin. Keep it up dude, small updates trump no updates.

Note to self : linking TVtropes is a bad habit.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 16, 2009, 06:12:48 am »

Ascubis ducked behind the gaol doorway as the spinning bowl hurtled past him and shattered into pieces against the wall.  He peered around the doorframe cautiously to survey the scene; one of the goblin prisoners had gone completely berserk, rattling the bars of his cage with incoherent fury.  Gaol slops and pebbles were strewn around the room in testament to the goblin's search for missiles and the goblins in the neighbouring cells sported freshly blackened eyes and bruised limbs.  Both now sat back on the far edge of their cages, well out of the mad goblin's reach.  The two dwarves in the cells opposite looked bewildered.

"What the hell's going on here?" demanded Ascubis.

"No idea," said Frey.  "Started about the time I woke up, gobber just keeps trying to kill anything that moves.  Surprised he hasn't done himself in yet.  If it's a break-out attempt, it isn't a very good one."

"Just gobber madness," muttered the taciturn Sergeant Nil.

"Well," said Ascubis, lifting his truncheon, "I'll put a stop to that soon enough."  He marched over to the cage and gave the goblin a few orders to calm down before finally unlocking the door.  The moment the door swung open the goblin launched himself from the other side of the cell, sailing through the air with claws outstretched and connecting neatly by the jaw with the end of Ascubis' truncheon.  As the goblin tumbled to a heap on the ground, Ascubis brought the truncheon down sharply on his ribs, following up with blows to his arms and legs.  He was well into the act of battery when he felt a hand grab his beating arm and felt a dagger against his throat.  Diplomatically, he let the truncheon fall from his grasp onto the bloodied and broken mess.

"Not harm prisoners," growled a voice by his ear.  "Against law."  The dagger drew away from his neck and Ascubis felt the sharp impact of a dagger hilt against the back of his head before everything blacked out.

Stug finished dragging the unconscious form of the battered goblin into the cage and locked the door after him, having put his fellow guardsman in another cage to cool off.  He turned to the dwarves, who gave the same explanations for the incident they had given to Ascubis.  Unsatisfied, Stug questioned the goblins instead.

"<Hail,>" he said in the goblin tongue.  "<What happened to Olsmo?>"

"<We do not know,>" said one of the goblins.  "<He was fine for most of the day, but a little after mealtime he started acting very afraid, then very angry at everything.  He claimed he could see things at the edges of his visions, spoke of a great pit waiting to consume us all.  He got so angry, began attacking the shadows, then everything else until he descended into that animal rage.>"

"<Thank you, Baxu,>" said Stug.  "<And you, Ngosa?  Did you see any more?>"

"<Yes, friend Maggot,>" said the other.  "<A dwarf came in after mealtime, when the other dwarves were sleeping.  He gave Olsmo a drink from a copper flask.  I only caught a sniff, but it smelled like those snake-men in the deeper marshes.  Will he be alright?>"

"<Yes,>" said Stug with a nod.  "<Olsmo lives.>"

"<I remember that dwarf,>" said Baxu.  "<He had this strange tic with his eye, as if he was always getting flies in it.  I did not trust his drink.>"

"<You were right not to,>" said Stug.  "<In this place, we are bound by laws as we were in the fortresses.  The law of this place says you are not to be harmed, so I will assert it.>"

"<It is a strange law,>" considered Ngosa.

"<I certainly agree,>" said Stug and left.

----------

After a very hectic week, I finally have free time enough to prepare proper-sized updates (after this one, granted) and build a buffer again!

Also, an amusing tidbit.  I started uploading the OK story to my writing 'blog (stolen straight from Heavy Flak, yes), and attempted to put up an AdSense banner.

Turns out that the use of fantasy naming conventions and words means that the AdSense crawler recognises it as being in a foreign language and won't support it.  -.-

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 16, 2009, 09:16:48 am »

"<Yes,>" said Stug with a nod.  "<Olsmo lives.>"

----------

Also, an amusing tidbit.  I started uploading the OK story to my writing 'blog (stolen straight from Heavy Flak, yes), and attempted to put up an AdSense banner.

I want you to know, I did a double-take reading that.  Really made my morning to wake up and see something like that inspired in such a fine story.  Keep up the good work, Iituem, and keep up with that writing blog - it'll be like a monkey on your back biting your skull every time you don't upload a chunk of story. 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31