Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 62480 times)

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - The Six Shrines (Community/Fugitives)
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2009, 03:42:27 am »

Another thinly cut slab of chalk, covered in strange symbols, seemingly warped pictures of plants, and thin spidery script covering the empty spaces in rich blue ink.

Journal of Kel Ragebrew

This is most interesting. The drink seems to have a more potent effect on those who sample it then upon myself. Maybe I have filled my belly with these demonic brews enough times that my mind finds the horrors hidden in my own shadow common place and nothing to worry about, or is it merely the fact I know better? I can not be certain. I know my fellow dwarves are less grounded in reality then myself. Believing that a goddess divinely bestowed a random worker into an incredible feat of art? Possible, but I think she just got a really good idea and it refused to go away, like a tune that gets stuck in your head, or that dirty limrick about a duke's consort and a sauage maker. Took me half a year to forget the words, a full year to purge the image.

The Blood Ink has finally brewed. As expected, goblin blood acts the same as deer, goat, pig and cow blood. The thick red blobs floating in a pale yellow brew, truly do it's name justice. I wonder how they stay the same spherical shape, even after been poured into and out of a water skin, only to burst and fill the mouth with such a wonderful copper and cinnamon flavor once it passes the lips, linger on the back of it for so long. Next I need to get the ingredients for my name sake, Rage Brew. I will need the blood of a savage beast for this one, so I imagine I will be waiting some time before I can. The rest should be easy enough. If I get firecap extract, it should suffice for the flame crystal powder I used before. Oh how that angered the Mayor back home. Finds a nice vein of them, only to have half go missing. I *MUST* keep that out of the hands of my little gathering of addicts......

So as I sip upon my lastest creation, I am left here with an inner turmoil. Do I give these cultists their brew, and line my pockets... Or report myself to the authorities and see what mercy I can be given. Of course the first one is more favorable, in the short term. But if the entire village became full of gibber maddwarves chasing after their own shadows and attacking those of others.... I doubt I would see anything past the short term. I will still brew what I can from the plants Fora grew for me. It would be a waste not to. Thankfully she does not know how long it takes me to brew up the Bog Water. It only takes a few days for the vital essence to drain out. The rest is just to let the flavor seep in as well.

With a long sigh, Kel put down the stone slab, slipping out from behind the beerhall and walking off to his stash hole, neatly digging it out, putting it tablet ontop of the other two, and playing a piece of oiled leather over it, so in the off chance it rained, the water would not touch his diary slabs. He only hoped that damned fox minded clerk didn't notice one piece missing. Oh well, if she did, how could the fire cap for brains know it was him? With a shrug, he covered it fully, patting it down and lying on it, staring up to the clear sky. The ragged dwarf passed out, sleeping on still warm red sand. If only he could get a bed made out of it....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:24:26 am by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2009, 03:57:41 am »

...or that dirty limrick about a duke's consort and a sauage maker.

You have to tell us what this limerick is.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2009, 04:17:25 am »

I see you read YAFGC, Kel. But you made a slight mistake, it took 2 years, not one to purge the mental imagery. Still a nice use of the quote, the story is looking grand so far.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2009, 04:26:27 am »

Yes, I indeed do love that comic. But I didn't want to do full blown plagorism, or however you spell it. Plus, I have the added perk of so many drinks that I forget all the quicker  :D
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2009, 04:50:49 am »

Yes, I indeed do love that comic. But I didn't want to do full blown plagorism, or however you spell it. Plus, I have the added perk of so many drinks that I forget all the quicker  :D
Ah, the Power Of Booze. Good argument.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2009, 07:33:36 am »

Ragna's Log
18th Malachite, 353

Another rod found at the burial chambers, again in a sealed iron chest.  No other relics, once again took a rubbing of the characters on the side.

Code: [Select]
rtAtncYAYEsetTtAdEdwdveuSeoAEGasHaeohelhetpRFneEUaintrsohSietiogUOsuiTSatLEHmaeVsunTMI

Stug has taken to playing this sort of game involving a series of traced rings and pebbles with the goblin captive.  The goblin refuses to speak to anyone else and barely communicates with the little cretin, but we can neither torture him nor stop feeding him without breaking dwarven laws on treatment of prisoners.  Not to mention it being outright cruel.  Nobody seems willing to sentence him to death yet and if we release him he'll probably just go tell his masters where we are and how much we have to steal.  Still puzzling over what Stug could possibly mean by 'love' for the goblin.  They treat each other quite harshly, as far as I can tell.

Also puzzling over that troubadour.  I've seen her singing for firecaps, or playing a sort of guitar made from obsidian (as absurdly heavy as that must be).  She always manages to find a way to vanish whenever I get close enough to question her.

26th Malachite, 353

Jora stared up in wonder at the shimmering vault around her for time she could not measure.  Emerald light shone down from an unseen source and the gemstones sang with hidden voices.  She could make out faint details; a glistening altar, bright candles on translucent staves, a richly-cowled figure on a platform.  She moved closer to the elusive figure, trying to see detail through the blinding light or hear the strangely garbled words it spoke.  She reached out with a wavering hand to the violet robes, then froze.  Beneath her, deep beneath her, she heard the scrabbing in the rock.

Jora breathed in sharply, forcing open her eyes.  She looked around quickly; nobody else was awake yet and the moon still cast its soft rays through the half-finished walls of the apartment.  No more than an hour could have passed.  Sparing a glance for the other dwarves lying prone and still embroiled in dreams of divinity, she picked up her coat and shuffled out of the room.

13th Galena, 353

"So I call this meeting to, uh, order," said Emerin, tapping the table with the three-titan mural that had begun to serve as a sort of unofficial marker.  She still felt embarassed about the whole ideal.

A few chairs had been dragged into the Mayoral office, hedged around the desk to form an impromptu meeting room.  Gathered around it were Emerin, Frey, Broose, Ragna, Danielle, Fath, Karana and Kulet.  Emerin made a note to order a proper meeting hall arranged for future occasions.

"Main order of business," read Danielle from a slate, "the state of construction work within the village."

"Is this absolutely necessary?" muttered Broose.  "We could have done this whole thing in conversations without having to drag us all here and make us sit through an official meeting."

"Things need to be noted," replied Danielle primly.  "This way I have an accurate record of everything going on within the village.  Now I understand the Nishan chapel flooring and walls are finished, Kulet?  Do you have the funds for the remaining roof work?"

"I am afraid," said Kulet smoothly, "that my congregation is still working on accumulating the funds for this work."

"Your congregation?" scoffed Broose.

"I have taken to providing guidance and sermons," answered Kulet.  "I note no objections were raised when Karana began leading the Nakasians."  Karana remained silent.

"Then I am afraid construction will have to be delayed," said Danielle.  "The village cannot afford to sponsor the full costs of the chapel's completion at this time.  Unless you can find another source of donations, we will have to use what funds we have to pursue other construction work, such as the ongoing power production effort."

"Ah aboot that, lassie," coughed Fath.  "It's nae workin'.  Wi' the limited area provided and all the additional construction costs, it'd be much cheaper and make a lot more sense to use a water system as originally suggested.  I'm sorry, Dani."  Danielle gave him a long look before nodding.

"Very well," she agreed.  "Funds will be transferred to work on a water power project."

"The Nakasian body has sufficient 'caps to fund the Nishan chapel's completion in its entirety," interjected Karana.  "It would make little sense for us to donate it, but we are willing to offer it as an exchange."

"What for?" asked Emerin.

"The land directly above the spawn plots.  The site of the current blockworks, though we have no desire to interrupt its function at this time."

"You are asking for land?"

"Is it an unreasonable request?  To date all land within the village has belonged to the state, so to speak.  Private ownership is a long-held tradition amongst dwarves.  It is not as if we are demanding the land be provided for free, simply to purchase it at a fair price."

"What would you do with this land?" asked Frey.

"Develop it in time," answered Karana.  "It may be that the shrine may require expansion, or that we find it necessary to provide storage space for crops and produce.  Again, none of these are unreasonable requests."

"If we do this," said Frey to Emerin, "it opens the floodgates to land purchase from any dwarf, so long as they can meet the price."

"It would provide much-needed revenue for other work," argued Danielle.  "We could use the 'caps."  Emerin considered, looking to Ragna for her thoughts.

"So long," said the captain, "as all are answerable to justice, I have no issue with the matter.  With the recent thefts and the increasing need for new guardsmen, I could use a proper set of cells."

"Very well," decided Emerin, tapping the mural on the desk for good measure.  "The sale of property will be legalised.  Karana, Danielle will meet with you separately to discuss pricing on the land you request.  Kulet, the government will fund the completion of the chapel and your 'church' will be held indebted to us for the amount owed.  I assure you that you will repay it in a timely manner, as Danielle shall see that it accrued interest otherwise."

A general chorus of agreement, begrudging or otherwise, came from the table.

"Very well," said Danielle.  "Next order of business..."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2009, 02:09:25 pm »

I have a funny feeling those random strings of characters are cryptograms in disguise.

AOFhiitsSMolYhEmimuoRestHRRrkHttissugwEapHeofDstrtLEaeDFthraRSnyOtOrCHinDaCEyBLEuCaHET
rtAtncYAYEsetTtAdEdwdveuSeoAEGasHaeohelhetpRFneEUaintrsohSietiogUOsuiTSatLEHmaeVsunTMI

Same number of characters, same style. Yep, definitely cryptograms. Sadly, I'm totally lost when it comes to deciphering any sort of coded message.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2009, 07:37:03 pm »

25th Galena, 353

"What in Onol's tin beard did you think you were doing?!" roared Ragna, thrusting the cretinous figure of Stug up against the wall.  Stug sulked and glared at the captain.

"Had something wanted," croaked the goblin-raised dwarf.  "Took."

"You beat him senseless over a loaf of bread!"

"Didn't want give.  Took."

"You can't do that!" berated the captain.

"Can," said Stug, wiggling his bloodied knuckles with a slightly confused expression.  That he could was pretty self-evident.

"Well you shouldn't!"

"Why not?  Stronger.  Cannot stop.  Is right."

"What?  No it isn't!  How is it right to take from those weaker than you?"  Stug frowned at the question, as if the answer were obvious.

"Too weak to keep, too weak to defend.  If not take, other will, grow stronger, take from me.  Strong must rule."

"Dominance isn't just defined by strength, Stug," growled Ragna, exasperated.  "There are considerations!  Compassion.  Wisdom.  Justice.  It just doesn't work like that."

"Does.  Weak die.  Strong live.  What matter justice to dead?"

"It matters to the living," explained Ragna, lowering Stug to the ground.  "There has to be redress, law and justice for society to work, Stug.  These are the cornerstone of civilisation, of what it means to be a dwarf.  The strong have a duty to protect the weak, not only their bodies but their dignities and rights."

"Not understand," grunted Stug.  "Teach."

"You want me to-  Fine, okay.  You want to learn justice, you can do it on the job.  I can't believe I'm doing this, but you're sticking by my side until I can figure out what to do with you.  I can't just keep beating you up, all it does is reinforce this belief you have in strength being everything.  Will you accept that?"  Stug stared at her for a moment.

"Will obey," he said.

"Well," sighed the captain, "that will have to do for now."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2009, 10:41:13 pm »

Glad to see you're having fun with Stug. I'm half-tempted to attempt a journal for him, but I think it would be difficult to do, given his limited linguistic capabilities. Then again, I suppose I could make the journal in goblin-text..

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2009, 11:16:34 pm »

Write in the manner of Stug's thoughts. Bonus if you write it with phrase like "hot-liquid-flame" (meaning magma).

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 24, 2009, 01:12:47 am »

Write in the manner of Stug's thoughts. Bonus if you write it with phrase like "hot-liquid-flame" (meaning magma).

'stug want water-flame. stug want burn world.'

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #176 on: May 24, 2009, 01:29:43 am »

stug jurnal, munth of rat, 353
----------------------------

urn-dwarf teech stug rite little bit. dwarf words vary hard. all sound like tox child talk mouth full beekdog meat to stug.

stug follo Ragna-dwarf, Ragna-dwarf strong. Ragna-dwarf dumb to way-of-strongist, but says have uther way. stug want know uther-way, call 'law'. stug no undurstand law. must lurn if law-way betur than strongist-way, or if is smunstu lie.

stug rite mor latur. dwarf-rite make stug hed hurt.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:35:01 am by Lord Dullard »

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 24, 2009, 03:42:45 am »

I was under the impression that Stug was not so much stupid as brought up in a completely different culture. Lord Dullard, are you implying that he is daft in that last sentence of the journal entry, or that wrapping his head around the writing is making him concentrate too much leading to his head hurting?

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2009, 03:54:14 am »

stug jurnal, munth of rat, 353
----------------------------

urn-dwarf teech stug rite little bit. dwarf words vary hard. all sound like tox child talk mouth full beekdog meat to stug.

stug follo Ragna-dwarf, Ragna-dwarf strong. Ragna-dwarf dumb to way-of-strongist, but says have uther way. stug want know uther-way, call 'law'. stug no undurstand law. must lurn if law-way betur than strongist-way, or if is smunstu lie.

stug rite mor latur. dwarf-rite make stug hed hurt.

I liked that. It was cool how you made him accidentally use the goblin language a few times.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2009, 08:28:00 am »

Ragna's Log
6th Limestone, 353

Aware of the risks, I have taken on Stug as a lance-constable to keep a close eye on him.  Having done this, I also brought Ascubis in because he just doesn't shut up about wanting training and we can't put a good miner into full time military service.  I need more hands anyway, just to deal with all the little disturbances that pop up in the village all the time.  Speaking of which, before he was pulled off into the constabulary Ascubis dug up another of those bauxite rods.  Again, got a rubbing and the main is on display in the Mayor's office.

nsliTSolortkoErHtsDdsaeratrdsIRAapDrTjLcldiaiAEhTHeEheASexngheTNcdaotntEHpbTaetaiOSEFM

Some complaints from the citizenry about the request I put in for a gaol block.  Tough, frankly.  I can't just keep administering beatings for every single infraction or I just look like a thug.  A gaol gets the law inside dwarven heads, which is the only way to keep it.

7th Limestone, 353

Fath salt bolt upright in his bed.  The dream had been so vivid.  He clamped his eyes shut again and whooped with joy; he could still see it!  It was fading fast but the lines were still there, the detail and the finesse.  He opened his eyes again and grabbed an iron stylus from his bedside table, searching the room frantically for something to write on.  His hand fell first upon a small toy boat Yngwie had made for him; a little chalk carving with two narrow crescents of agave cloth for sails.  He regarded it fondly for a moment before remorselessly carving into it with the stylus.

11th Limestone, 353

Fath glanced backward furtively, scratching away at the fine chalk tablet with the stylus, scoring the final designs in minute detail.  The banging on the door had ceased, replaced by a steady thumping of increasing loudness.  The hinges on the stone door screeched in complaint until at last it burst inward, shattering the chalk lock and letting in the fresh air of day.

"Fath!" came the call through the billowing dust.  "Are you okay?"

Fath ignored the call, etching the last few circles and placing the tablet in the hollowed out shell of the miniature boat, its surface covered with eldritch designs.  He turned to face the ensemble of dwarves that had invaded his room and grinned through a dust-covered beard and bleary red eyes.

"It's done," he croaked, then collapsed onto the bed.

Emerin's Log
12th Limestone, 353

Fath is blessedly alive, though he slept for a solid day when we finally broke through the locks he had installed on the door.  He has covered this chalk toy with designs and engravings, all of them as puzzling as they are beautiful.  He calls the finished design 'Fencedhearts', claiming it to be the blueprints for the 'thinking machine' he has been raving about these last few years.  Loksvig looked them over and says he can barely understand them, but they seem to be based in the numerical engine design he made for Danielle, but taken to an absurd level.  Half of the designs are encoded into the artwork and the other half into the designs themselves, as if when discovering his space to draw designs was limited he opted to triple-encrypt everything to compress the information into as small a space as he could.  This could take years to decode, even for him.

We've finished the excavation of the burial chambers, including one last bauxite rod in an iron chest, same as the others we found.  Copied out the inscription on it, but like the others I've left it on display in my office.

FalwhifGuAlisEutHelEiHNTNdIntnnfvetHheeDAnLLRenthtsBThndsieDeRhiAnVeyiimisUtYboSfyAVRO

---------

Writer's block is a pain.  Fortunately, we're getting to the point where I can actually start playing the game for cues again, because we're almost up to date with the actual events ingame.  Blargh.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:30:08 am by Iituem »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31