Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 62478 times)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - The Six Shrines (Community/Fugitives)
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2009, 04:27:04 pm »

From the log of Fora

At last, we’ve found it! A settlement of dwarves free from those thrice damned elves control! The gods pitied us in our plight, and led us to the mayor of the town itself. It seemed she was just as in the dark about his title as we were, though, during the amusing conversation we had at the gate. But she accepted the title, and invited us in, gods be praised. There’s some quirks to this village, but at least we won’t have to pay any taxes to those pointy eared weaklings.

Since this is going to be my new home, I had best get used to the quirks. The strangest by far is their currency. Everything is valued in firecaps, oddly enough. Strange, but just fine by me, I can grow as many as I need from the soil. On the other hand, I may wind up eating most of the ‘money’ There’s nothing I like quite as much as a spicy firecap roast. Oh well, I’ll work things out. Maybe I can see if any of these desert plants can be grown. Farming in a desert will be a unique challenge for me.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2009, 04:57:31 pm »

Funny thing, I actually thought they were leaving. Emerin would've come back, maybe, after she found that all her stashes had been looted of their valuables (or some other fabricated reason), not after their wagon breaks down the moment they get out of town.

Oh, well. All hail Mayor Emerin Claspfocus!

Emerin Claspfocus, Mayor, has mandated the construction of certain goods.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2009, 05:45:42 pm »

Sorry about throwing a wrench in your creative gears. Do love your save though.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2009, 06:59:45 pm »

Heh. Just finished reading through this. You've put more thought into my mod than I have :P

Anyway, considering the amazing quality of your story, I feel no shame in asking for a dwarf and subtly hinting to the name of the mod you're using to make sure I get one.

Name: Ofeigur(if male) Vigdis(if female)
Profession: Anyone capable of making a musical instrument.
Description: A dwarf whose obsession is music. Unfortunately, the only way he/she could make a living playing music was as a bard, playing for the nobles. And the last time he/she tried to play for one of those, he/she was almost immediately thrown into jail for "producing such scandalous music as time drive man and beast mad with dark urges". Seriously, his/her music isn't that bad. It's just a little Music With Rocks In.

So yeah. Think Terry Pratchett's Soul Music, if the dwarf had been the protagonist. You might be able to involve him/her with the creation of Olonkulet's final form, SkyDwarfnet.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2009, 02:06:32 am »

Heh. Just finished reading through this. You've put more thought into my mod than I have :P

Anyway, considering the amazing quality of your story, I feel no shame in asking for a dwarf and subtly hinting to the name of the mod you're using to make sure I get one.

Name: Ofeigur(if male) Vigdis(if female)
Profession: Anyone capable of making a musical instrument.
Description: A dwarf whose obsession is music. Unfortunately, the only way he/she could make a living playing music was as a bard, playing for the nobles. And the last time he/she tried to play for one of those, he/she was almost immediately thrown into jail for "producing such scandalous music as time drive man and beast mad with dark urges". Seriously, his/her music isn't that bad. It's just a little Music With Rocks In.

So yeah. Think Terry Pratchett's Soul Music, if the dwarf had been the protagonist. You might be able to involve him/her with the creation of Olonkulet's final form, SkyDwarfnet.
Just quite how much discworld are we throwing into this? I already asked for a Rincewind ripoff
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2009, 07:53:45 am »

Well, that Discworld reference was only there for, well, reference. He/she's really just a somewhat innovative musician.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2009, 11:19:16 am »

It's just a little Music With Rocks In.

hmmm, entreging

seeming as we're on discworld can I have job title of God of things lost behind the sofa?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:25 am »

Something with An-somthing, I'll look it up.
EDIT: Anoia, also god of lost causes, things stuck in drawers, and stuff you put down just there but can't seem to be able to find anywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_gods#Anoia
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:50:29 am by Aldaris »
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2009, 01:53:20 pm »

Vignette: War Stories - The Elven Retreat
23rd Felsite, 353

Captain Ragna stormed into the Beerhall, carrying a runtish creature by the scruff of his shirt.  She tossed him down on the floor by Urnriddled, who was busy nursing a watered-down mug of ruli brew - drinks were running thin until the next wagon arrived.  The dwarf looked down at the wretch with surprise.

"This yours?" she growled.  The scrawny figure scrabbled to the wall, turning so its back was against it and glaring up at Ragna with beady eyes.

"What, Stug?" asked Urnriddled.  "Not really; he's been following us for days."

"Want fight," croaked the filth-covered mess in the corner, its hair tousled and rags covered in dust.  It habitually scratched the back of its hand with yellowish fingernails.

"I'll say," muttered Ragna.  "Little beggar tried to strangle one of the horses today, got a well-deserved kick for his trouble."  The miserable figure bore a bright red welt on his cheek as evidence to the claim.

"Ah, it's not his fault," said Urnriddled with a touch of pity.  "From what I can tell he was kidnapped as a young lad, raised by goblins.  Fortress got burnt down, the dwarves that rescued him felt he was too much trouble, so they shunted him into the Mountainhomes.  Apparently he got out during the big break a couple of years back, been living off the land since."

Ragna looked the creature over.  It wasn't easy to admit it, but Stug was definitely a dwarf.  He didn't look dwarven, though, and he certainly failed to act it.  Worst of all he had no beard.  That is to say, he tried to have no beard.  The ragged patches of hair and criss-crossed scars around his chin and under his nose were evidence of ham-fisted efforts to shave.  Instead, Stug bore scars across his face, quite clearly intentional and possibly even self-inflicted.  They were long and surprisingly graceful affairs, curved into almost elegant tattoos of ravaged flesh that gave Stug a wild air and bore stark contrast to the accidental or incidental scars that covered Stug's chin and, if one were to look through the layers of dirt, all over his body.

Ragna shook her head and waved at Urnriddled.

"Well, he's your problem tonight.  Next time I see him causing trouble like this I'll clap him in irons for his own damn safety."  She plodded over to the booze table and gestured to the bartender Mincewind, flicking a handful of firecaps onto the bar.  "Gin, neat," she ordered. 

"Captain," Mincewind began to protest.

"I know we're rationing," said Ragna, cutting her off, "but after today I need something to take the edge off it."  The bardwarf rolled her eyes and drew a small but strong cup from the barrel, passing it to the captain and pocketing the sun-hardened firecaps that everyone was using for currency these days.

"I don't suppose I can interest you in a rock cake whilst you're here?" Mincewind suggested with a hint of pleading to her voice.  Ragna glanced at the innocent-looking tray of grey cupcakes.  They looked like they were probably made of redbulb flour.  She decided to pass and shook her head to Mincewind's disappointment.  Ragna glanced about the beerhall and was waved over to a corner table by Jora, Datan and Khain.  She sat and muttered various greetings.

"Hey, captain," said Datan.  "Tell us another of your stories.  I'm getting sick of this swill and it looks like you've the only hard liquor in the hall."

"Stories?" asked Khain.

"Aye, the captain's got war stories enough," laughed Jora.  "Not a kill stealer either, unlike some people.  She was trained by the Old Elven Masters, don't you know?  Ooh!" she exclaimed.  "You haven't actually told us that one yet, cap'n."

"Aye," replied Ragna stoically.  "I haven't."

When it become evident she had no plans to continue on the topic, all three militiadwarves began pressing, cajoling and attempting to bribe her into a tale.  Eventually she gave in.

"All right, all right," she growled.  "If it'll shut you up.  So there I was, waking up in an Elven bed..."

The soft, silken thread of her hammock did little to allay the trepidation Lieutenant Ragna felt upon waking up.  Six elves, garbed in loose-fitting mauve robes, looked down at her.  Four of them were armed, though she noted with some relief that their swords were sheathed for the moment.  The unarmed pair of elves were studying her with a judgemental air.

"Awaken, dwarf," one of them redundantly commanded.  "What is your name?"

"Ragna," the lieutenant replied somewhat hesitantly, then stiffened her resolve.  "Lieutenant Ragna Stockadebow, 10th Infantry.  What business have you with me?"

"Saving your life," chuckled the other unarmed elf.  The first gave him a scathing look.

"That remains to be seen," said the first.  "I am Druid Avetho Thiniolova, and you are being held until you are fit for trial."

"On what charges?" demanded Ragna hotly.  She grimaced as the searing pain in her back flooded back to her.

"Acts of war, betrayal of trust and defilement," said Druid Avetho sternly.  "Your dwarves were given permission to pass through our neutral lands on the understanding that you would not bring your war here.  Yet you attacked the goblin forces given equal leave to pass through our lands, shed blood on the forest floor and worst of all, far worse, you brought fire to our lands!  Do you have any idea how many trees were slaughtered by your callous actions?  It is a pity only that more of your dwarves were not spared by your own inferno, that we might slay them for this desecration!"

"Easy, Avetho," commented the other Druid.  "You'll give yourself an ulcer."

"How can you be so calm, Inefa," growled Avetho, "knowing what this filth has done?"

"Chiefly because I don't know what she's done," replied Inefa.  "We only suspect.  I am sure that when the other Druids have finished inspecting the site we will have a clearer picture of events."

"What have you done with my equipment?" asked Ragna, directing her question to Inefa in the hope of some actual compliance.

"Your chainmail has been kept in storage," responded Avetho hotly, "and your axe has been destroyed, as is only fitting of such a barbaric tool."

"That was my mother's axe!" shouted Ragna again, flinching as the pain crashed over her like an ocean wave.  She could feel it dragging her back down and struggled to stay conscious.  "You tree-hugging pansy, I'll-"

"Do nothing," said Inefa in a calm, firm voice.  "Nothing but rest, lieutenant.  You are in no state to argue, or to be trialled."  He passed a hand over her eyes and Ragna felt the heavy weight of her aching body.  "Sleep."

Ragna slept.

When Ragna next truly awoke, not counting brief moments of stirring, muddled consciousness in the twilight of sleep, she had the sensation that some time had passed.  To her surprise she found the pain in her back had mostly gone, though a quick check with her hand revealed that the dressings there were fresh and still covered the majority of it.  With a little effort she was able to sit up on the hammock and inspect the room she had been kept in.

The floors, walls, ceiling and indeed most surfaces were wooden, though upon on closer inspection Ragna realised it was not as she had originally assumed.  Rather than boards of cut lumber, the floor was comprised of interlocking branches, fused together and flattened into a level surface as if they had grown that way.  The roughly circular walls followed a similar theme with round spaces for windows, the many branches fusing together at the ceiling to create a watertight roof.  Looking to the windows it appeared the branches spread outwards into bright green leaves, and the subtle dip at the centre of the room from which the thick initial branches sprung confirmed Ragna's suspicions; the whole room was constructed from some manner of living tree.  The room was bare save for a wooden table, Ragna's hammock, a tightly-woven lintgrass rug and surprisingly enough a marble jug and goblet on the table's surface.  Ragna inspected the designs on the jug, recognising the familiar engraving as a scene from the history of the dwarven clan The Long Bolt.

Realising how thirsty she was, Ragna poured herself a drink from the jug and grimaced at the sight of the crystal clear spring water.  She knocked back the goblet anyway, following it up with a second and third.  Unable to see any apparent exits, the dwarf walked over to the window and peered out.  The view was limited by the broad expanses of foliage, but Ragna could see the forest stretch out at length.  Several of the trees had the same notably expansive crowns, suggesting additional rooms such as the one she was presently kept in.

"The view's better from up above," came a voice from behind her. 

Ragna spun around to see the elf Inefa standing near the centre of the room.  Behind him a thin silk rope ladder stretched down from the ceiling, where a dark lintgrass covering had concealed the room's exit amongst the fused branches.  Ragna hadn't even heard him approach.

"I thought I was your prisoner," said Ragna.  "You're unarmed and you've left the exit wide open."

"Indeed," said Inefa easily.  "You are also unarmed, you have no idea where in the forest this is and you are quite literally surrounded by our rangers on all sides.  Even if you aren't aware of it, you are being watched like a vole."

"Don't you mean a hawk?"

"No.  The hawks are the ones doing the watching.  How are your burns?"

"Itching, but I'm surprised I'm alive.  How long was I out?"

"About six weeks, give or take."  Ragna blanched.  "You spent much of it asleep," Inefa reassured her.  "You spoke of fire a great deal in your sleep, something Avetho claims is sign of a guilty conscience."

"I didn't start the fire," protested Ragna.  "That human did."

"Human?"  Inefa raised an eyebrow.  "We found no human bodies, only goblins, and no human tracks leading from the devastation.  Believe me, we are very good at telling this sort of thing.  Would you care to revise your story?"  Ragna glared at him.

"I'm no liar," she growled, then moved to the table to pour herself another drink, tapping it.  "I thought you elves didn't cut wood?  Pretty sure this table isn't alive."

"We don't.  Trees do die naturally, hard as it may be for you to imagine.  When a tree dies, we perform a suitable funeral, then transform its mortal shell into art.  It is so much nobler to give its death meaning.  How do you imagine we are able to provide ethically-obtained logs for you and your dwarves in our trade?"

"Funeral?" scoffed Ragna.  "It's a tree, elf!  It's made of wood!  You talk like it has a soul."

"You are made of meat," Inefa replied levelly, "yet you claim the distinction for yourself.  We give your deaths meaning as well, if we deem it necessary."

"So what's this doing here?" Ragna asked, changing subject.  She waved the polished marble jug.

"We trade often with your kind.  Are you surprised to find your wares in our homes?"  The elf stode to the table and picked up the jug as Ragna drank from her goblet and inspected the engraving.  "Ah, the Assaulted Onslaught on the goblins at Monstrousbowels.  Two hundred apiece on either side.  The Bolt actually lost that battle, but the siege forced the The Evil Thief into a peace treaty by starving the stronghold of meat from its raiders.  See here, the depiction of the goblin commander Asno Dustymenaced the Mute Claw being gutted by Rakust Fencemoistened?  They always get that wrong.  Rakust was using a sword, not an axe."

"How would you know?" challenged Ragna.  "Were you there?"

"Yes," answered Inefa.  "I stood with my blade and my shield in the days before I gave them up and I fought alongside dwarves against a common foe.  A year later I fought alongside your leader Bembul Abbeyflashed in the Onslaught of Sharks, when the Searing Crypts struck against the Green Monsters.  A friend of mine, Yemeni Gladeglimmers, shot their leader Ngom Handlewitch's right hand, Smunstu."

"I know the tale.  Every dwarf knows the tale of General Abbeyflashed, who fought a ten year vendetta with the goblin Ngom Handlewitch the Defective Admiration and was eventually shot in battle at the final attack on Menacelaws, almost a hundred years ago.  I know my history."

"Do you?  Ngom was an elf, as was Smunstu."

"An elf?" exclaimed Ragna.  "Why was an elf leading a goblin nation?"

"A question for another time," said Inefa, indicating the rope ladder.  "Now that you are awake and able, you are to be brought before the High Druid for your trial.  It will be a journey of two weeks and the sooner we begin, the better."  Inefa turned and ascended the rope ladder with surprising grace and speed.  Ragna clambered up it after him, asking another question.

"How will this trial work?"

"A Druid informed of the particulars will present a case against you, and a Druid will defend you on your behalf.  The High Druid will make a decision as to your guilt and punishment."

"I hope you're the one defending me, then," said Ragna as she pulled herself up through the opening.

"By the Force, no," laughed Inefa.  "I'm the prosecution.  Avetho will be defending you."

Ragna groaned at this piece of news, then looked around as she clambered onto the treehouse roof, a flattened surface of fused branches from which small leaf-covered twigs sprang out.  The treehouse stretched up above the layer of foliage, allowing her to see much further about the forest than before.  The treetops spread out in all directions, an endless and uninterrupted sea of green that rippled softly in the winds.  Almost uninterrupted; a great eyesore presented itself in a swathe of blackened forest to the west.  A fair few acres of trees had been destroyed by the fire and looking back, Ragna could see the twinge of pain in Inefa's eye.

"Horrific, isn't it?" he murmured.  Ragna felt herself unable to answer, so she changed the topic.

"How do you get the trees to grow like this?" she asked.

"Druidry," Inefa replied shortly, taking off to the west.  Ragna looked down and noticed a footbridge made from the familiar fused branches, stretching from their present treehouse to another in the distance.  She followed after him, jogging to keep up with his swift pace.

"Which means what, exactly?" she pressed.

"Something that would take years to explain," replied Inefa irritably, still clearly distressed by the sight of the razed forest.  "It would be best described as use of the Force to encourage nature to develop in a certain way."  Inefa strode from leafy roof to leafy roof across what Ragna was beginning to see as a network of half-concealed walkways spanning the retreat.

"So you can make trees grow differently?"  Ragna hopped after him, taking care not to slip on the treacherous walkways; the forest floor was some way down.

"Faster, too.  Growth that would take centuries can pass in decades, or years.  There are limits.  You would consider the time it takes to grow a town such as ours to be unbearably long."

"What limits?"

"Growth such as this can only happen when the Force is sufficient to bear it - too much growth in too little time is harmful to the natural order.  In places where the Force is especially strong, such as the heartwoods, much greater growth can be attained if one has the patience to endure centuries.  In some places the Force slumbers or is weakened and little can be done.  Worse, it may be corrupted."  Inefa stopped at a treehouse at the edge of the retreat and reached down, swinging onto a rope ladder Ragna had not even realised was there.  He slid down it and Ragna followed hurriedly.

"Corrupted?  How?"

"My, aren't you full of questions?" muttered Inefa as he stepped off the rope ladder.  "Suffice to say, there is power and ruin in the dark side of the Force.  Now, I hope you're ready."

Ragna turned around as she reached the base of the ladder to be greeted by the sight of several Elven rangers, swords at their belts and unstrung longbows at their backs.  Despite the fact that they were all garbed in mauve and blue cloaks and tunics, they had somehow managed to arrive without her noticing.  Avatho was there, as annoyed by the dwarf's presence as before.

"Where are you taking me?" Ragna asked.

"To the heartwoods," said Inefa.  "We go to the tree city of Sealpasses, where you will face judgement for what you have done and the place that the Fin of Saints shall take in this war."

"And there," said Captain Ragna as she finished her gin, "is where I met the Old Elven Master."  She stretched and yawned to the disappointment of the listeners.  "That, however, is a tale for another time and a fuller mug."  Once again there was a chorus of groans and the departure of the gathered crowd, so Ragna stood up to retire for the evening.  Somewhere in the background she heard the sound of a dwarf playing a rock musical instrument, followed by spitting and a cry of "You put cement in the damned cupcakes?!", silently thanking Onol for her earlier decision against Mincewind's baking.  As the captain moved she just noticed the little figure in the corner that had been paying rapt attention throughout.  It wasn't a certain thing, but she fancied the little wretch Stug was watching her with something approaching awe.

----------

Yeah, no, Metal Miltia.  I draw the line at actual plagiarism.   ;)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »

Well, whenever I burn the world and raze the trees I argue that I'm enriching the earth with volcanic minerals and ash from the wood.
They never buy it, trust me.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2009, 03:46:23 pm »

Ha! You did a better job imagining Stug than I would have. Most excellent. ;)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2009, 03:56:09 pm »

Ragna's Log
2nd Haematite, 353

Little goblin dwarf keeps following me.  Thinks I don't notice him ducking behind corners every time I turn to look.  Will deal with him later.  Ascubis tipped me off about some missing tools in the spawn cavern.  Kid's trying to get into the militia, but the mayor already put a veto on that.  He's too important as a miner to transfer, but he still tries.  Tools were pretty standard; forks, trowels and such.  Unless somebody really wants to take up farming as a hobby (and I've no idea where they'd do that out here without someone noticing) they're probably going for the black market.  Since this village isn't really big enough to have a black market, that means they're probably going for the human caravan when it next gets in.  I'll be watching the trade goods carefully when that happens.

Bit of a funny accident when I was investigating; one of the farmers, a kid called Fora, fell into the decorative pool.  Fished her out myself, she mentioned something about having heard whispering behind her and jumped from the fright.  Nothing there, but someone must've been playing a prank on her.  I issued a general warning about the dangers of water and left it at that.

8th Haematite, 353

Another of those strange iron chests found when digging out the lower burial chambers.  Danielle took a rubbing of the bauxite rod they found inside.  No other artefacts, but the rod bore a long series of letters in that same archaic font.  So far it seems to be gibberish and little more:

Code: [Select]
AOFhiitsSMolYhEmimuoRestHRRrkHttissugwEapHeofDstrtLEaeDFthraRSnyOtOrCHinDaCEyBLEuCaHET

Emerin has it on display with the other dig site artefacts in her office.

Vignette: Slash Fiction
12th Haematite, 353

Loksvig whistled tunelessly as he walked, hefting the heavy bauxite boulder due for gear carving.  Trudging through the empty plain with the boulder held up before him, he noticed another whistling sound nearby.  He stopped and frowned.  There it was again, a single low whistle.  He started trudging forward when a third such whistling followed and he felt a tap on the other side of the bauxite.  Lowering it, a fourth whistling sound accompanied the iron bolt flying past his face, fired by the marksgoblin and his squad of infantrymen.  Loksvig dropped the boulder and ran, shouting "Goblins!  Goblins!" at the top of his voice.

Ngosa fired another couple of pot shots at the running dwarf, cackling at his little fat form waddling away.  She narrowed her eyes and knelt down into a proper firing position as a leather tunicked dwarf in a silk frock coat and tricorne hat rounded the corner of the village's chalk wall brandishing a sabre and a wicked grin.  Ngosa clicked her fingers and gestured, prompting the others to go for the dwarf; slave fighters in front, speargoblins behind.  She took aim and fired.

Jora grinned ear to ear when she saw the goblins.  Weeks of training with Ragna had afforded her far greater agility than before, getting her to the fight well ahead of the other militiadwarves.  Brandishing her sabre she hurtled towards the goblins as bolts streamed past her, clattering into the wall.  She ran past the first slave goblin, slashing him in the arm and prompting a cry of pain, then spun around on her heel and slashed his other arm for good measure.  She flipped the blade up as another bolt flew between their faces and brought it down in a crimson arc, slicing off his left leg.  Behind her the second slave leapt forward and grabbed her bodily by the shoulders.  Jora grabbed the sabre in both hands and thrust it backwards under her arm, the blade passing cleanly through the goblin's chest and splitting his heart in twain.  She tugged the weapon free in a burst of spraying blood and the goblin staggered back as his life poured freely onto the ground.  He slumped backwards and lay quite still, shallow breathing as the world turned grey around him.  Jora brought her sword back to shatter the arms of the first goblin, then brought her blade down heavily, kneeling as a bolt whistled through the air above her hat.  As a final insult she brought the blade up and stabbed it back down into the goblin's gut, twisting it for the kill.  Jora stood, drawing the blade out in a scarlet flicker and prepared to face the two speargoblins.

Jora stepped into the stroke as the first speargoblin drove his point at her, side-stepping it and breaking the wooden haft with her free hand.  Her sabre flicked forward, slashing his leg and driving him backwards into his companion.  The goblin raised a hand to stop her and the swashbuckler cut it off with a psychotic laugh, spinning and bringing the iron sabre around in a terricle arc, slicing through the craven creature's guts and into the speargoblin using him as a shield.  The blade ripped through the muscles in the soldier's arm, forcing him to drop his weapon and nearly getting struck as another of the marksgoblin's iron bolts hurtled past.  Jora stepped forward again, jamming the sword through the speargoblin's weapon hand, then adjusting her grip on the hilt and driving it down through the goblin's leg like a dagger.  As the unfortunate creature cried out in agony she ripped the blade out, spraying his face with his own blood, and brought it back down again to sever his thigh.  The speargoblin collapsed, succombing to the pain and limb loss.  Jora glanced backward to see Khain arriving on the scene, spear pointed at the dying goblin with the broken heart.

"Leave it!" Jhora yelled back to him.  "It's dead anyway!  Get the marksman!"

Ngosa watched with mounting dread as the sabre-wielding horror swept her blade around her and down, lifting the speargoblin's remaining body up and into the air in a masterful stroke, then ran without a breath of hesitation for Ngosa.  The marksgoblin reached for her quiver to find a single bolt left in it and cursed furiously.  Loading it into the bow she ran full pelt towards the swashbuckler, intent on making the one shot count. 

The speargoblin's body launched through the air, spraying a crimson trail until it crashed into a mangled heap upon the ground.  It quivered, then shuddered and grew still as Broose's single steel bolt thudded into its gut.  The desperate marksman ran towards the dwarven warriors with her crossbow held like a club, watching Jora run past her with some surprise, then feeling the sabre stab through her arm with even more surprise.  In a desperate effort, she shot the last bolt in her bow straight at Jora's head, who ducked into a defensive roll as it whistled through her hair.  As she rolled past, her blade flicked out like the tongue of a snake, neatly severing the forearm that held the bow.  The goblin staggered, screaming and holding her bloody stump in shock as Jora rolled into stance and brought the blade across her other hand.  Khain drove his spear through the creature's torso from navel to neck, holding it aloft in the air until its weight brought it crashing back down.

Ngosa felt pain, revulsion and horror curdling throughout the shattered remnants of her body as she slid off the heavy ashen staff of the spear.  She looked into the face of her killer, a young black-bearded dwarf with a fresh expression.  The point of the spear grew closer, then everything splintered to grey.

Khain wrenched the spear from the goblin's eye and rested for a moment on it.  He looked up at Jora's bloodied visage and her dripping scarlet blade.

"And you say we're kill stealers?"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:59:16 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2009, 04:05:37 pm »

I'd like to ask for a drum kit!

awesome story by th way, I'm hitting F5 like there's no tomorrow

also can I request (seriously this time) for a staff with blades at either end, it's a long time since I did Bo Ki Yokot and I've forgoten the name of it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:15:26 pm by Metal Militia »
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2009, 05:05:58 pm »

I don't think there's really a weapon like that in the DF raws (and Jora's sabre is really a scimitar), but I can say that your spear is double-bladed if you really want.  I'm not especially fond of double-sword type affairs because of how ridiculously dangerous they are to the wielder (and generally impractical), but a double-ended spear I can do.

I've added Vigdis in with the profession 'Rock Troubadour'.  I wanted to make her male, but only female Nakasians were available and deity choice is rather more compelling given her role.  She and other as-yet unwritten in characters will appear in posts in the near future.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:22:26 pm by Iituem »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2009, 05:22:13 pm »

Khain wrenched the spear from the goblin's eye and rested for a moment on it.  He looked up at Jora's bloodied visage and her dripping scarlet blade.

"And you say we're kill stealers?"

Hahaha, it's not kill stealing if I kill everything before you get there! You can't hope for glory if you don't run for it!

Great story, really enjoy reading it, especially the ASCII-draw enhanced backstory.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31