Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you read this story semi-regularly/have read it all the way through?  (This just sates my curiosity on how many people read this thing.)

Yes, I read it when it updates!
Yes, I've read/am reading it all the way through!

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31

Author Topic: Olonkulet - Bloodlines  (Read 62431 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - War Machine (No, really.)
« Reply #435 on: May 28, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »

I wish Acceptance.
Name: Baldur
Crime: Strangling a superior officer to death(5 Years), accusing a superior officer of elfishness (100 hammerstrikes and life imprisonment)
Profession: Wrestler/Hammerdwarf
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2010, 10:43:28 am »

Loksvig's Notes, 1st Slate 355

Busy couple of weeks.  We lost more than one good dwarf in the attack, and I lost a friend.  I remember the day Datan first arrived, barely able to stand with the rest of the refugees.  Never told him, but we were all proud of him for sticking with the military.  He was an inspiration, a true dwarf and a terror to the gobbers.  The place just won't be the same without him.

The new hotshot kid in the military, the one that has Broose's old job.  He got hit too, arrow broke his forearm.  By some miracle, didn't cut open his arteries, but he'll be out of commission for a while.  Worse, he lost his wife in the attack.  Won't talk about it, won't stick to bed rest.  Just drilling the militia harder and harder.  I guess loss takes people in different ways.

We got more people, too.  Refugees from the war going on out there, even a couple of old cons back from the prison break all those years ago.  Gods above, has it been that long?  Emerin's off her feet trying to deal with them all, she and Dani have been locked up in the office all week just sorting the paperwork out.  Not that we have paper, mind.

One piece of good news, work-wise.  The stream thawed out again, and the dam we set up has started redirecting the flow.  Now all we need to do is finish hollowing out the reservoir chambers and we'll be set.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 07, 2010, 06:39:51 pm »

wow that was kool and sad at the same time. ascubis did alright for a miner too bad he couldnt save the mason

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:55 am »

Journal of Petra:

I am writing again at dinner. No one bothers me anymore because they think I'm cursed. I don't know if this is true. I think word has reached Stonebreaker about the latest dream and that strange symbol on my head. He looks at me strangely, considering. Plotting. I would be afraid, except after so much killing and raiding, I can't feel anymore. I can't. I have no compassion. Just a savage, external, and wild pleasure in killing. Sometimes, I hear the chanting in the day. Armok. Armok. Then it fades away when I realize what I'm hearing.

Life keeps going. I keep sparring. I raid. I kill innocents. I don't die. I charge into battle, and I don't die. I have my hammer and my armor. My archers listen to me, still. That might change though. My captain wanted to change the name of my squad to "Doomdreamers" except I nearly killed him with my hammer, then I realized what I was doing and stopped. I promised to kill him if he talked. Scared the shit out of everyone. It almost breaks my own heart to realize that I've grown cold on the inside. Stone cold killer. That's what I am: a stone cold killer. I never wanted to turn out like this.

When I was little, back in the Mountainhomes, I thought I'd be a craftsdwarf, or a guard watching a coin vault. Maybe I'd even aspire to a master smithy or a some renowned bard. If my parents could see me now: convicted prisoner turned war criminal.

Another one of those damned nightmares. This one was the worst so far.

I was before Armok this time. He sat on a throne of skulls. It leaked under his weight. I was knee deep in blood and it's stench was overpowering. I was in my armor and held my hammer. The screams are reverbarating outside and in my head. He spoke to me, wickedly seductive, like blood-lust in battle. Irresistable. Undeniable. Desirable, almost. He asks me I like what he has made me. I ask him what he is. He laughs and it sounds like shattering armor. His mirth toward suffering is legendary. Armok told me that I amused him, that my horror amuses him, since I am his slave. He looks at me, with that mirth -- so natural, considering what he is -- and brands me with his eyes. He asks me why I don't enjoy the suffering of others too? Why don't you, he asked, surrender and bask in the strength I gave you?
I woke up screaming and screaming and crying, clutching my head and with blood streaming down my face, and begging Armok not to use me -- I didn't want to be his tool. I think I woke up that entire section of the barracks.

As a result I have a mark on my head. A fell rune. No one will tell me what it means. The goblins are careful not to so much as touch me. The dwarves make the evil eye sign in my presence. They all keep muttering about curses. If this keeps up, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - Bloodlines.
« Reply #439 on: July 14, 2010, 01:50:38 pm »

14th Slate, 353

Armok.

Thirty years and not a word.  Not a whisper or thought.  Yet there it had been in the dream.  The great toad, the creatures crying out the name.  Armok, Armok, Armok!  It had been the only barely intelligible word amongst their incomprehensible gibber.  They had screamed it while they held the knives, slitting throat after throat of her elven companions while she lay bound to the rock.  Armok, and Jreengus, two words that would just keep coming back.

Ragna ran the cold, wet rag over her face, glaring back at the shadows in her room.  Her bed lay dishevelled from her sudden awakening.  It had been after her trial, her time with the Elves.  She had been sentenced to stay with them for seven long years, to pay penance for the deeds of her kind.  She had learned peace from them, both inner and outer.  She had learned the ways of the Force that permeated all living things.  She had learned even some of the secrets of their magic, and the terrible price it wrought if used without respect.  And, at the end, she learned fear.

In the seventh and final year of her sentence, Ragna had journeyed to the edge of the forest with a number of her Elven friends, not far from both human and dwarven lands.  They had heard rumours of dwarves, humans and elves going missing in the region for months, but had only recently connected them with tales of a kobold cavern nearby.  Suspecting a small group of kobolds preying on travellers, they had gone directly to the cave with a force of huntsman.

They had underestimated their foe in every way.  Traps assailed them from the moment they entered, vicious devices aimed at maiming rather than killing.  Before they had even laid eyes on a kobold, they had been ensnared by nets or their limbs had been broken to an elf.  When their scaly captors brought them to their destination, the sheer scope of it both bewildered and terrified.

A great cavern had been channelled out of the rock, the roof supported by massive pillars of stone arranged in concentric rings.  The cavern was cut into descending layers, each fitted with dozens of smaller pillars.  Above it all, the carved image of a giant toad glared down with bulbous eyes.  It was when Ragna saw the gutters running from the base of the pillars downward to the central pit that she understood its horrific purpose.  Scores of victims, human, elven, dwarven, goblin and even kobold alike had been chained to the pillars, ready to take part in whatever unspeakable design the kobolds had planned.  Not that it was difficult to guess; ancient bloodstains had etched themselves into the rock.  Whomever had built this place had done so countless generations before its current inhabitants.

Ragna and her companions were chained to the pillars and the hundreds of kobolds gathered began to sing in their strange, sibilant tongue.  Their priests strode from level to level, slitting throats and ankles so the blood drained through the grates in the bottom-most pit.  Ragna was bound at the topmost level and it was by sheer chance that she was doomed to die last of all.  At first she could not bear to watch the slaughter, but eventually she forced herself to look at what all this bloodshed was due to accomplish.

At the very centre of the pit, a hazy figure of smoke had appeared.  With each death the figure sharpened, coming closer and closer into focus.  The thing was the size of a kobold and of a similar shape, yet its skin seemed to be made of a black, shiny metal, not unlike that of a beetle's shell.  The image grew clearer, almost as if this thing was becoming more real, down to the long, sharp black claws and the evil, burning yellow eyes.

The last priest was working his way along the line towards Ragna.  The creature was very nearly complete and all around she could hear the screams.

Jreengus!  Jreengus!  Jreengus!

Ragna closed her eyes and waited for the blade that would take her out of this world and bring the beast into it.  It never came.

A mace had crushed the shaman's head as he approached, and a storm of dwarves had charged into the arena, scattering the terrified legions of kobolds.  The shadowy figure had given Ragna one final glare, its gleaming yellow eyes burning themselves into her memory, then it had faded from existence.  Of the hundreds gathered in the summoning chamber, only Ragna had survived.  The dwarves brought her home and she was re-integrated into society once again.

All this, she knew.  All this, she had dreamed again.  But why now?

Chapter Five: Bloodlines
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:52:19 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Olonkulet - Bloodlines
« Reply #440 on: July 14, 2010, 01:51:16 pm »

Alright.  Let's roll this old girl back out and see if we can't move on with her.  >_>

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2010, 02:53:06 pm »

back again? FINALLY!!!! i've missed Olonkulet

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »

*gasp*

It's (possibly) back!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »

Huzzah! All hail Iituem!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:31:36 pm by Argonnek »

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2010, 07:15:18 pm »

Though hell itself may hold us back, steel will lead us through.

Lets rock.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2010, 10:14:36 pm »

Yay!

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »

Wow! Something's finally...ah...occurring?
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 17, 2010, 04:53:53 pm »

This helped kill my Saturday.
Hangover did the rest.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 05, 2010, 01:51:11 pm »

Seriously, how many times do we have to CPR this story?

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 05, 2010, 02:49:17 pm »

i know he keeps getting our hopes up then drops them :(
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31