Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should I do LCS versioning from here on out?

Release 3.20 as 3.20
- 6 (14.3%)
Release 3.20 as 4.00
- 22 (52.4%)
Release 3.20 as 4.10
- 14 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LCS Versioning  (Read 2110 times)

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Re: LCS Versioning
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 03:00:09 am »

You know Netscape skipped version 5 completely and Winamp skipped version 4 completely. Java went from calling things Java 1.x (as in Java 1.6) to Java x (as in Java 6). Some programs have really high version numbers (for instance, the programming language SML/NJ is currently at version 110.69) but other programs have version numbers that are 0.something and nowhere even close to 1 (like many Firefox extensions). Version numbering for software is completely arbitrary except for the general rule that newer versions have higher numbers than older versions. Besides that rule, there are no rules. And some people even violate that 1 rule, but they confuse everyone when they do that. So do whatever you want, except for breaking the 1 rule which is not to have the version number decrease for a newer version.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 03:34:45 am »

^^^Thats pretty much it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 01:18:13 am »

I honestly don't care that much. I agree that enough changes have been made to make this version 4.x.x already, though. There is a possibility I am biased, considering I have some strange hatred for the number 3.

Oh, No!  My brief knowledge of Numberology (The Occult study of numbers) is kicking in!

I recall the number "4" denotes order, stability, formality. 

Thus, we must skip directly to "5"!

We can't succumb to Conservative influences!

/meaningless Numberology rant

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 05:26:33 am »

^^^^I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell me what the current number 3 stands for?
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:44 am »

Wikipedia would have us believe 3 means communication/interaction, neutrality. 4 is creation.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 09:51:12 am »

By all means, go to 4, as in Japanese it means "death".
I also say we skip 13, as it is lucky in Chinese and ancient Egyptian, thus making the Chinese and mummies better at the game during this time, breaking all illusion of equality.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 05:52:53 pm »

third times the charm.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:25 am »

By all means, go to 4, as in Japanese it means "death".
I also say we skip 13, as it is lucky in Chinese and ancient Egyptian, thus making the Chinese and mummies better at the game during this time, breaking all illusion of equality.
4 is also a 'death' word in Chinese and Korean.

Also, I say insert 13, since it's a LUCKY number for me! Reverse effect in SOVIET RUSSIA Balkanised-Pre-Democracy-Territories.

Winter Knight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 01:08:02 pm »

I say that the version numbers should recognize that there was a major shift after 3.09, justifying a 4.00...with the current version being more accurately called 4.09.  I vote for the next version being 4.10.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 09:39:06 pm »

Make the next one 4.00. Really. The whole thing is pretty subjective and up to your own discretion, John, as you are currently the primary maintainer.

I actually downloaded the source code recently, to poke through it. I'm attempting to teach myself a bit of the C++, and see if I can take it a part a little, see if I can make my own variant, for personal use. If I get any good, might start releasing patches.

And if that does happen, I'm not going to care about the version number whatsoever. The only role it really plays is to differentiate newer versions from older versions, and glancing at it only gives a vague impression as to how much progress has been made. Even if you were to just title them all completely sequentially, except for bugfix releases, the concept would still be the same.
!!&!!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 12:01:48 am »

I think the next version should be 4.00. While distinguishing between the newer versions is a good idea, renaming older releases is a potential source of significant confusion.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.
Pages: 1 [2]